No announcement yet.

Can anyone help ID this victim, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help ID this victim, please?

This popped up on a Trove search for another case and - I've never heard of it. I think. Can't find info on it (mind you I have not looked for very long, I'm just feeling impatient). Weird, the mention of mutilation, piles of innards "in the room", missing organs. Bit like MK.. And a scalpel left behind, among other items.. As this crime isn't listed as a possible victim already, I can only assume the killer was caught shortly after or it was all a hoax.

Any help, as ever, is very appreciated.

Geelong Advertiser, Friday 20 September 1889, page 3

eta link, image not working: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/prin...1998/3?print=n
    Last edited by Ausgirl; 11-22-2014, 03:15 AM.

G'day Ausgirl

Can you give us either a link to the trove article or what you searched on so I can have a read and then might have some idea.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Sorry - I did post an image of the article, but it appears to not be showing up now.

Link: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/prin...1998/3?print=n

Comment

I've seen that article before, but have so far been unable to track down the outcome.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

On the same line of questioning I've never been able to find who this was:

It says:

[RECEIVED September 10, L35 a m.]

London, September 9.

A man has been arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the murder of the four unfortunates at Whitechapel.
          G U T

Comment

Interesting! How many people were arrested for suspicion of whitechapel murders? Would there still be records of the arrest?

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
              Interesting! How many people were arrested for suspicion of whitechapel murders? Would there still be records of the arrest?
              That's what I was hoping to discover, but please also look at Ausgirl's article, I probably should have started a new thread and I appologise to Ausgirl for not dong so.
              G U T

Comment

This is the text of the article Ausgirl refers to:

ANOTHER WOMAN

MURDERED
                (" HERALD" TELEGEAM.)

LONDON, September 18th.

Another shocking murder has been discovered, which tends to confirm the impression that the terrible miscreant known as "Jack the Ripper" is again at

work.

In this instance the scene of the crime is Portsmouth. It was committed in a house occupied by immoral women at that seaport, and the victim was of the
                same class as the woman murdered in Whitechapel belonged to.

In almost every respect this murder bears a very strong resemblance to those attributed to "Jack the Ripper." The body had been, dreadfully mutil- ated, and in such a manner as to leave no doubt as to the person who com- mitted the deed possessing consider able anatomical knowledge. Besides this, a surgeon's knife was left in the room.

The mutilation seems to have been carried on with great deliberation and , thoroughness. The whole of the internal organs had been removed and placed in classified heaps in the room. It would appear, however, that before the murderer had quite completed his horrible work he was disturbed, and left in great haste, for, in the room, in addition to the surgeon's knife, there were found a watch and chain, which are believed to have belonged to the murderer. Some of the internal organs are missing. There are indica-tions that the murder had been committed a day or two before the remains were discovered.
                G U T

Comment

Thanks for posting guys very fascinating. I wonder if the man arrested was suspected of this crime? From what I've read the murder of the boy john gill shares an uncanny resemblance to the Kelly murder though I know it's a stretch and not considered related. I wonder what could be determined about the killers identity from the surgeon knife and the watch?

Comment

There is also a report of a Sailor from Sydney being arrested, I will try and post that one later
                    G U T

Comment

interesting about the sailor. the guy in the carrie brown murder was also arrested in jersey city on suspicion for the whitechapel murders right? so maybe it was common practice to arrest someone thousands of miles away for suspicion of being involved in the whitechapel murders

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                        interesting about the sailor. the guy in the carrie brown murder was also arrested in jersey city on suspicion for the whitechapel murders right? so maybe it was common practice to arrest someone thousands of miles away for suspicion of being involved in the whitechapel murders
                        G'day rocky

From memory, and I may be wrong, he was arrested in England, the bloke I'm talking about
                        G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                          There is also a report of a Sailor from Sydney being arrested, I will try and post that one later
                          gutay, ah i see...a sailor from sydney not a report of a sailor from sydney (newspaper) as i misread thanks!

Comment

If that really happened in Portsmouth, it should be in the local papers!

Comment

I reckon that this newspaper report is mostly fiction.
                              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                              X