Days of the week murders occured?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Days of the week murders occured?

Im aware that the 5 main victims were all killed on the weekend. I believe either a Friday or Saturday.

Can anyone tell me the days of the week the other possible victims were killed on?

Thanks in advance.
    Im just a guy with a flashlight and an open mind looking for answers. Before I do, I need to find the questions first.

Amarti,

I believe that info is available on this page.

Comment

Here's a quick summary

Tuesday: Emma Smith, Martha Tabram, Annie Farmer
      Wednesday: Ada Wilson, Alice McKenzie
      Thursday: Rose Mylett
      Friday: Polly Nichols, Mary Kelly, Frances Coles
      Saturday: Annie Chapman, Annie Millwood
      Sunday: Liz Stride, Catherine Eddowes
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Amarti,

Curious about the days of the week he allegedly kills on...its either a weekend, or a weekday just before or after a weekend... with a holiday adjacent. So technically, he only kills on days we would traditionally associate with work stoppage.

Its also within the same 10 days of each month, on the last or second last of one month and until the 9th of the next. Only the last period has a single kill within those same 10 days, the first two were 2 victims per 10 day period.

Many would suggest he had misfires or backed-out from some attempts during those breaks.....but no press reports of such failed attacks are associated specifically with him.. like the 5 Canonical victims were.

Best regards.

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
          Many would suggest he had misfires or backed-out from some attempts during those breaks.....but no press reports of such failed attacks are associated specifically with him.
          A misfire or back-out need not have involve an aborted assault, though, Mike. It might simply have entailed the killer and potential victim going their separate ways, the killer not making an approach in the first place, or the potential victims high-tailing it out of there - without necessarily reporting it to the police or press. For what it's worth, consider Sarah Lewis's story of the oddbod on Bethnal Green Road - if it hadn't been for the fact that Lewis got caught up in the aftermath of the Kelly case we'd never have heard of the incident at all.

Besides, I'm sure that there were a fair number of actual assaults during those months that never made it to the papers.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            A misfire or back-out need not have involve an aborted assault, though, Mike. It might simply have entailed the killer and potential victim going their separate ways, the killer not making an approach in the first place, or the potential victims high-tailing it out of there - without necessarily reporting it to the police or press. For what it's worth, consider Sarah Lewis's story of the oddbod on Bethnal Green Road - if it hadn't been for the fact that Lewis got caught up in the aftermath of the Kelly case we'd never have heard of the incident at all.

Besides, I'm sure that there were a fair number of actual assaults during those months that never made it to the papers.
            I agree Sam, we'd never know if he went out and chose not to act....and there were some odd incidents with men and knives over the period in question. But I believe the vast majority of those reports were Ripper inspired events, not actual mis-fires of the man himself. At least there is no evidence that suggests the police took any one of those incidents as being an legitimate attempt of "Jack's". Other than the bloodied man in the pub that morning, none are really "Jack-like" either..pulling a knife before they are under control for one.

I think many of those events were much like the letters....a community going nuts to some extent.

All the best Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
              Curious about the days of the week he allegedly kills on...its either a weekend, or a weekday just before or after a weekend...
              In order to say that, Mike, we'd have to take a baseline of the days on which any old offences took place in the East End, before any attribution of significance could possibly be made. We might also want a subset of data encompassing violent crimes, including murder, and compare prostitute assaults/murders against that.

Besides, not all the women on that list met the Ripper, so - based on this pitifully small sample - it wasn't just Jack who seemed to avoid Mondays!
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Here's a quick summary

No monday attacks? Thats queer.
                We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

a potential explanation

In order to say that, Mike, we'd have to take a baseline of the days on which any old offences took place in the East End, before any attribution of significance could possibly be made. We might also want a subset of data encompassing violent crimes, including murder, and compare prostitute assaults/murders against that.

Besides, not all the women on that list met the Ripper, so - based on this pitifully small sample - it wasn't just Jack who seemed to avoid Mondays!
                  Some one with a set and rather restrictive Sunday routine would be a likely candidate. I rather suspect that no mondays is a function of the killer's schedule and not that of his quarry.

Comment

Hi Dave,

The sample is really way too small for us to draw any inference from it.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Here's a quick summary....
                      *Tsk*. Please don't feed the newbies, Gareth, otherwise they'll never learn to fend for themselves.

Comment

Hi Dave,

The sample is really way too small for us to draw any inference from it.
                        Agreed. Double event is only sunday event also. I am sure this has been done to death, the inference is multiple, unconnected killers. Was severed carotid widely publicized at the time.

Comment

Here's a quick summary

Thanks. Im curious about this in regards to what might have been JTR's profession or whether or not JTR was some type of student. Something that would not have allowed JTR to go out and about at nite during the week possibly.
                          Im just a guy with a flashlight and an open mind looking for answers. Before I do, I need to find the questions first.

Comment

As the five canonicals were all Friday night, Saturday night, or very early Sunday morning, people have tried to infer some things about Jack's habits. But at best it's a small sample, and you can vary your choice of victims and get other patterns out it. And it's also likely that there were failed attempts, and we don't know what days they may have been on. It does fit with someone with a regular day job, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine View Post
                              As the five canonicals were all Friday night, Saturday night, or very early Sunday morning, people have tried to infer some things about Jack's habits. But at best it's a small sample, and you can vary your choice of victims and get other patterns out it. And it's also likely that there were failed attempts, and we don't know what days they may have been on. It does fit with someone with a regular day job, though.
                              Agreed. But after the first of the five, JTR stayed on the weekends. Im trying to look into whether or not there were any incidents or reports of any type of attacks during the week BEFORE the Stride murder.

If I cant find anything I might have to assume that JTR purposely chose to stick to the weekends whether by choice or not to do the killings. This will go a long way as to being a building block to "my" JTR's identity.

Comment

Working...
                              X