Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skeleton of hero World War II carrier pigeon found in chimney with a secret message s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skeleton of hero World War II carrier pigeon found in chimney with a secret message s

•David Martin, 74, found the stricken bird when he opened the disused fire place while renovating his Surrey home
    •It is thought the pigeon may have stopped on the chimney and become overcome with fumes
    •Experts believe the pigeon may have been flying back to General Montgomery Headquarters in Reigate, Surrey or Bletchley Park, Bucks

By David Wilkes

PUBLISHED: 07:21 EST, 1 November 2012 | UPDATED: 21:14 EST, 1 November 2012

He had survived the perilous flight back from Nazi-occupied territory hundreds of miles away.

Exhausted, the British ‘spy’ pigeon swooped down on a chimney in Surrey for a rest.

And there, sadly, he fell off his perch. Perhaps overcome by fumes from the fire below, he died – with a vital coded message in a tiny capsule still strapped to his leg.

Shock: David Martin with the remains of a carrier pigeon which he discovered behind his fireplace

His remains lay undiscovered in the chimney for around 70 years until the home’s current owner David Martin recently decided to restore the fireplace.

‘The chimney was full of twigs and rubbish,’ he said yesterday. ‘We were stunned by how much came out. Then I started finding bits of a dead pigeon. We thought it might be a racing pigeon until we spotted the red capsule.’

The former probation officer and his wife Anne, both 74, unscrewed the capsule and found a hand-written message inside on a ‘cigarette paper thin’ piece of paper.

It has been sent to code breakers at Bletchley Park in Buckinghamshire, the intelligence centre where work to crack the Nazi Enigma code shortened the war by years, and to their modern-day counterparts at GCHQ in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, who also are trying to decipher it.

Attached Files

This is a picture of the secret message. Anyone here think they can crack the code?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
      This is a picture of the secret message. Anyone here think they can crack the code?
      It says 2 copies sent so (if that's literally true) I wonder if the other bird made it.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

The bones are in pretty good shape. Bird bones are not especially durable.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          It says 2 copies sent so (if that's literally true) I wonder if the other bird made it.
          Didn't notice that. Good catch

Comment

I can't crack it, but I have to say it looks damned familiar. Can't think why.
            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I know why it looks familiar. It looks like Enigma code. If it is, I can't think the British were using it, so maybe it was an intercepted message that got passed on for decoding?

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                I know why it looks familiar. It looks like Enigma code. If it is, I can't think the British were using it, so maybe it was an intercepted message that got passed on for decoding?
                I never heard of the Enigma code but you are so right. It looks like it.
                Attached Files

Comment

I never heard of the Enigma code but you are so right. It looks like it.
                  Never heard of Enigma Code? Clearly you have not seen a good many mediocre WWII movies.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if the decoded message is published. Knowing the British Goverment's penchant for secrecy, I doubt whether it will.

Comment

It probably says "Dear XO2, you have won a Reader's Digest pen."

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                        Never heard of Enigma Code? Clearly you have not seen a good many mediocre WWII movies.
                        Lol. No, I haven't. Gonna ask my mom, I bet she has

and yes, I think the government will not release what it says. Oh, well.

Hey, maybe it says they discovered who Jack the Ripper was?

Comment

Lol. No, I haven't. Gonna ask my mom, I bet she has

and yes, I think the government will not release what it says. Oh, well.

Hey, maybe it says they discovered who Jack the Ripper was?
                          U57-1 Stars the inimitable Matthew McConaughey and Jon Bon Jovi in a bit to capture an Enigma from a submarine.

And there's one I think called Enigma with Kate Winslet about Bletchley Park.

Comment

A World War II coded message strapped to the remains of a pigeon has foiled Britain's top code breakers. But has a Canadian enthusiast done what the experts could not and found the key?

This might be the rest of the story.

Comment

U57-1 Stars the inimitable Matthew McConaughey and Jon Bon Jovi in a bit to capture an Enigma from a submarine.
                              Except of course the real incident took place in the Mediterranean in April 1942, with the nearest left ponders probably a couple of thousand miles away. The U Boat concerned was U559...three British matelots boarded the sinking sub and rescued the enigma machine and cypher books...alas two subsequently went down with the sub...

In a case of mistaken priorities U559 probably loses out over the crew of U570 who, the previous year, at least managed to destroy their Enigma before the entire U Boat fell into British hands (subsequently being recommissioned as HMS Graph)!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X