Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kindle or paper book? Your views please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What authors should do is offer a code where if you buy the physical book, you can download a ebook backup as part of the purchase--and vice versa if you purchase the electronic version, you should get a coupon for a discount on the real deal. Just a thought.
    [/QUOTE]

that sounds an excellent idea, Magpie
    http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Hi Helena,
      I voted Kindle. It's an instant gratification thing with me.
      Plus my three year old can't scribble in them and there's no dust magnet bookcase to deal with!

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
        The only way to share a Kindle book is to literally let the other person borrow your computer. They are not like, for example, a PDF file that you save on your hard disk.
        Kindle Fire has a function that permits one to "lend" books to other Kindle Fire users.
        Plus there is software out there (like Stanza) that enables one to convert ebooks into pdfs and even into Word documents. An interesting concept regarding quoting text and Copyright laws...

To answer the poll, I'm afraid I don't like Kindle at all (hate the format the text is presented on the screen and the slow way it navigates) in the same way I can't stand iPads (don't particularly enjoy typing on screen vs. on a keyboard). But I'm completely in love with my iPod nano and have stopped buying CDs in the last couple years (unless it's opera, job-related, of which I have too much to fit on an iPod). I'm using iTunes for everything, from buying specific songs (instead of whole albums) to establishing compilations to burning mix CDs for road trips and parties. For music not available on iTunes, I get it from friends/DJs on mix CDs and copy it/incorporate it into my "virtual" music collection.
        But unlike with the music business, I'm not seeing electronic format replacing the book and "killing" the publishing business in the near future. ;-)

I'd advise anyone coming out with a book today (esp. on such a popular matter as JTR) to have it published BOTH in a printed edition and on Kindle format.
        My own book is coming out in hardback, but only because the editor of the series recently made a deal with the publisher to change into hardback. But it's an academic Press, where things work quite differently than in standard publishing.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
          that sounds an excellent idea, Magpie
          I second that! What a wonderful idea.
          Bond. Greg Bond

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
            I second that! What a wonderful idea.
            It's a wonderful idea for the consumer, but I am not sure the owners of the copyright in the published material would agree with it.

Comment

EddieX, I'm thinking that having the option to download an electronic copy when one buys the paperback copy could be an incentive for someone to buy the product. If true, that could lead to more sales and more money for the producer(s). That is happening more and more with movie sales (at least here in the U.S.); you can buy the Blu-Ray of a movie and it also comes with a DVD and electronic versions. I admit, though, that I'm ignorant of the costs of providing electronic books via Kindle or Nook or whichever, which may be prohibitive to doing that.
              Bond. Greg Bond

Comment

As 95% of the books I ever purchase are reference books opinions here have convinced me to stay away from Kindle.
                I seriously doubt they will ever replace the 'book'. Just like the knife, the hammer, the pen, no matter how they might revolutionize these 'tools' the basic knife, hammer, pen & hardcopy (book) will be with us for a long time to come.

Regards, Jon S.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                  Just like the knife, the hammer, the pen, no matter how they might revolutionize these 'tools' the basic knife, hammer, pen & hardcopy (book) will be with us for a long time to come.
                  Matches too. ;-) I don't mind at all using matches. A lighter soon or later needs a refill.
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

PS to Ruby

Kindle outsells paperback:

Richard Adams: Amazon announces that Kindle ebook sales have now overtaken its sales of paperback print editions in the US
                    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

OK my Chapman book is almost finished and publishing matters are on my mind.

Several people have advised me not to even bother with a printed edition, just publish on Kindle. People can then read the book on their iphone, ipad, Kindle reader, or on their home computer or laptop via a free program called Kindle For PC. But one friend said he hates reading anything on a screen, and I simply must do a paper edition as well.

So I solicit your thoughts, as I imagine casebook members do a fair amount of reading, and please take part in the poll.

Many thanks!

Helena
                      Hi Helena

I wonder if there's a prejudice against Kindle-only books, similar to the prejudice against straight-to-DVD films. People might be more reassured by a book that's in both versions. This raises the question of whether you should bring out a ludicrously overpriced hard copy version of your book, which nobody will buy, just to make it look like it's a 'proper' book, and the Kindle version's a bargain.

By the way, my novel Severin, about G. Chapman as the Ripper, is now out on Kindle.

SW

Comment

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and your votes.

This isn't what I wanted to hear :-) however, I hear you and I must adjust my plans accordingly.

As a publisher, I can tell you that there is a huge problem with the idea of giving away a PDF ebook with every paperback sold.

The problem is, how to identify who bought a book?

If the book is bought from my website, that is easy - I can email the buyer a link to the e-book webpage, from where they could download it. But what stops them from sending the link to all their friends and acquaintances on places like casebook and Facebook?

Ditto if the webpage from where the ebook is downloaded is printed inside the book.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Webb View Post
                          Hi Helena

I wonder if there's a prejudice against Kindle-only books, similar to the prejudice against straight-to-DVD films. People might be more reassured by a book that's in both versions. This raises the question of whether you should bring out a ludicrously overpriced hard copy version of your book, which nobody will buy, just to make it look like it's a 'proper' book, and the Kindle version's a bargain.

By the way, my novel Severin, about G. Chapman as the Ripper, is now out on Kindle.

SW
                          Hello Simo!

I see what you mean. I just received a quote for printing my book in both hard and paper back, and the hardback will cost me DOUBLE - but will people pay me double for it? I doubt it!

Helena

Comment

PS

I have just completely redesigned my book cover. Feedback welcome!

Helena

Comment

Hello Lemon

Thanks for your opinion. I see you did not cast a vote.

I had an estimate from a printer yesterday. Cost of printing my book in paperback per copy will be £3.80 and in hardback £6.38.

Who is Mike and where is the post he refers to anything?

Would you buy a book on Kindle?

What if it was ONLY on Kindle?

Cheers

Helena
                              Apologies! I C&P'd a post from jtrforums... I forgot to proof read.

Kindle only publications worry me. For me, it eliminates a potential audience. I don't own a kindle, & currently do not plan getting one. The luddite in me prefers an actual book.

Obviously I'm seeing this purely from the selfish consumer side...

Comment

Originally posted by lemonjelly View Post
                                Apologies! I C&P'd a post from jtrforums... I forgot to proof read.

Kindle only publications worry me. For me, it eliminates a potential audience. I don't own a kindle, & currently do not plan getting one. The luddite in me prefers an actual book.

Obviously I'm seeing this purely from the selfish consumer side...
                                Hiya Lemon

Kindle books don't need a Kindle reader. (I haven't got one). You can download a Kindle reader program free from Amazon. Then you can read books on your computer pretty much like webpages.

For publishers, Kindle removes the dreaded worry of how many books to have printed. Remaindered bookshops are overflowing with over-printed books most of them by major publishers, proving that any publisher, no matter how experienced, can get it wrong. It's even harder for little publishers like myself.

Helena

Comment

Working...
                                X