No announcement yet.

In honor of Great English Entertainment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of the Ealings, Miss M, my personal favorite is "Passport to Pimlico" - I love its evocation of the post-war mood, it's attention to detail (all the stuff put across by Margaret Rutherford about the Duke of Burgundy is correct factually) and its premise. It also showcases a sort of Londoner, and a style of speech that is no more.

That said, I am also a great fan of "Kind Hearts". Guiness was quite young when he did that portrait gallery of "types" - and it was around the time he did his challenging Fagin for David Lean. What an actor!

Phil H

Comment

The Ealing comedies were magnificent. The scene in the Ladykillers where Guinness and his gang are forced to attend a singsong with Mrs Lopsided and her elderly friends....Guinness is hunched over the piano....if ever there was an image of a completely broken man....

Comment

Ealing Comedies

The Ladykillers was indeed superb...a masterpiece at every level, right down to the dull "clung" of the bodies falling into the railway tucks below the bridge...

But as a railway enthusiast I have to say there is a special place in my heart for the Titfield Thunderbolt, a film which in 1953 actually anticipated most of the railway preservation movement (though Tom Rolt's Welsh narrow gauge adventures in 1952 surely had some influence!)...what a lovely tale, and what an amazing cast (including, Stanley Holloway in splendid form, John Gregson and even a very young Sid James)

All the best

Dave

Comment

I thought this a good article.

"Sir Ian McKellen fears no more acting greats"

"Lord of the Rings actor says that Britain will not produce high quality middle-aged actors because of the loss of rep theatre..."

Comment

Working...
          X