Burning Sociological Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning Sociological Question

I really need to know the answer to this question because it is driving me crazy -- Why do people wear sunglasses on top of their heads even when it is extremely sunny? I see a few guys doing it but it is mostly women in the 20- 30 age range. Is it some sort of fashion statement? It strikes me as extremely odd to see them squinting when all the women's magazines preach about sunscreen and wearing sunglasses so you won't get crow's feet.

What is up with this??????????

c.d.

A great question... one for which I wish I had an answer too because I will admit I was wondering the same thing.... however it's not as bad as all the people who wear sunglasses indoors... that is the one that gets me... to quote Larry David " only two kinds of people wear sunglasses indoors.. blind people and a**holes".... but back to the question at hand.... the only answer I can come up with is....nope I don't have one, maybe it is some twisted fashion statement, like wearing your pants far below your bottom (who ever thought this was a good look?) or even better... men that wear "womens skinny jeans" way to go boys!!!

again to quote someone... as Billy Crystal use to say as Fernando " it is better to look good than to feel good" I guess that is the only possible answer... however, it doesnt even look good...(to me anyway)

Comment

Because it holds your hair back in the wind.

Let all Oz be agreed;
      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
        Because it holds your hair back in the wind.
        Well ok that makes sense but isn't it at the expense of being uncomfortable having the sun shine right in your eyes? It seems like you are solving one problem but creating another.

So there is no fashion statement involved or no attempt to look cool?

c.d.

Comment

I dunno I suppose it depends on people's eye tolerance. I see a lot better without shades than I do with them, so I prefer not to have them on unless I am facing directly into the sun in the morning. Might have to do with growing up in Florida though.

Also glasses make your face sweat, ruins your make up and causes streaks.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
            I really need to know the answer to this question because it is driving me crazy -- Why do people wear sunglasses on top of their heads even when it is extremely sunny? I see a few guys doing it but it is mostly women in the 20- 30 age range. Is it some sort of fashion statement? It strikes me as extremely odd to see them squinting when all the women's magazines preach about sunscreen and wearing sunglasses so you won't get crow's feet.

What is up with this??????????

c.d.
            As Forrest says," stupid is as stupid does."
            We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Also glasses make your face sweat, ruins your make up and causes streaks

I realize now that there are a lot of things about women that I don't know. Unfortunately, I can't turn to other men for advice since it would appear that we are all clueless in that regard. On the other hand, women don't know anything about giving wedgies or the pleasure that we feel when we down a cold beer, belch and smash the can into our heads. I guess it all evens out in the end.

c.d.

Comment

LOL...I really should write an advice column and help you chumps out.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
                  LOL...I really should write an advice column and help you chumps out.
                  Charge us poor schmucks even just a nominal fee and you would be sitting on a gold mine. Really, you would.

c.d.

Comment

it's true...however crap your hair looks, it always looks more acceptable pushed back with sunnies. And why bother with make up if a) no one's going to see it and b) you'll have two pleasant, white, sweated-off stripes down each side of your nose? And, finally, from a (I think) British point of view: it's sunny. It's bright. You really should wear sunglasses. But there is alway someone who will have a good old snicker and point out that, hey, we're not living in effing Florida
                    best,

claire

Comment

Oh dear.

If I don't have sunglasses on my eyes, then I ALWAYS have them perched handily on the top of my head (as at this moment), for when I pop out.
                      I do live in the South of France though.
                      http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Hi C.D.,

How goes it?

It's convenient for quickly stashing the glasses, if you need to remove them for some reason, especially if your hands are full, and you don't want to put the glasses away in a pocket or bag. In hot, humid weather, it keeps the hair off the face and helps keep it a little drier, or, in a breeze, it holds the hair back. I suppose some people think it looks cool, too.

"What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
                          As Forrest says," stupid is as stupid does."
                          Sorry to disappoint you, but stupidity has nothing to do with it. Pushing the glasses back onto your head is convenient, especially when your hands are full or when you have to walk between sunny areas and shady areas frequently and in rapid succession.
                          "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Just so my point is clear, I was talking about people being outdoors in full sunlight while wearing sunglasses on their head.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                              Just so my point is clear, I was talking about people being outdoors in full sunlight while wearing sunglasses on their head.

c.d.
                              Yes, but people still have to remove the glasses now and again, for whatever reason. If you're talking about people who wear them on their heads as a fashion statement, then there is your answer: it's a fashion statement. For people who don't care about that, it depends on what they're doing at the time. Sunglasses often bug me, so I slip them off and on for that reason. I push them up onto my head but then may forget about them.

So an answer to your burning question is that some people do it to look cool, as previously stated, while others do it as a matter of convenience.

Comment

Working...
                              X