Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kindle ebook - Partnership from Hell

Hi

I'd like to let you all know about my new novel, Partnership from Hell, self-pubbed to Amazon Kindle US and UK.

Priced at around $2.50, £1.50.

It is my fictional take on the Jack the Ripper story with a supernatural twist. I've followed the murders fairly closely and it is my take on what (could have) happened in 1888.
    The five or so readers I've had so far (during the draft & formatting process) enjoyed it, and one 20-year-old female reader liked it so much she now wants to find out more about old Jacky!

During the writing process, I used Casebook on more than one occassion to cross-reference the information I already have from the several books I own about Jack - it is a wealth of information, and I thank each of you for your contributions.

I have just started a Wordpress Blog where I can be contacted.

I hope to grow the Blog over time with reviews and interesting info, in-between Tweeting, FBing and my real work.

Many thanks in advance.

Simon Whitmore
    Kindle ebook title: Partnership from Hell
    Publisher: SDW
    Approx pages: 250

Welcome.

Originally posted by Simon the Whitmore View Post
    Hi

I'd like to let you all know about my new novel, Partnership from Hell, self-pubbed to Amazon Kindle US and UK.

It is my fictional take on the Jack the Ripper story with a supernatural twist. I've followed the murders fairly closely and it is my take on what (could have) happened in 1888.
    Hi Simon,

Welcome to Casebook & Good Luck with the book!

Regards, Bridewell.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Partnership from Hell? Wasn't that the original Evans/Gainey book title?

(just a joke. Calm down.)

Good luck with the E-book

Mike
      huh?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
        Partnership from Hell? Wasn't that the original Evans/Gainey book title?

(just a joke. Calm down.)

Good luck with the E-book

Mike
        No wonder the police never caught Jack, they're now bringing in Superintendents from Kazakhstan!

Don't worry, I'm calm.
        Thanks, think I'm going to need a bit of luck - sales are slow at present, but who wouldn't want to see Abberline as a vampire?!

Cheers, Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
          Hi Simon,

Welcome to Casebook & Good Luck with the book!

Regards, Bridewell.
          Thanks Inspector

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon the Whitmore
            I call your bluff, Simon. This is clearly just a get rich scheme.

Welcome to the boards and congrats.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Gosh you will certainly have to sell a LOT of books to repay yourself for the time and effort involved in writing it.

Or do you do it for fun?

Gosh I HATE marketing books. I love the research, I love the writing, but I just cringe at the thought of trying to market them. I guess that is why I am no good at it. In the words of Dillie Keane: "So many people vying for space, you have to be shameless."

Good luck with it!

Helena
              Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

There's a generous 4 chapter preview so you can make your mind up

I would in the past have read fiction but I don't seem to have the time recently

I don't really pay attention to modern vampire stories because they seem so prevalent and banal

Good luck with the book though Simon

It seems well enough written to me as fiction goes

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                  I call your bluff, Simon. This is clearly just a get rich scheme.

Welcome to the boards and congrats.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                  Get rich quick? I wish (he says, chuckling deliriously whilst sharpening his finest poniard).

Thanks.

Simon

Comment

I love the cover.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
                      Gosh you will certainly have to sell a LOT of books to repay yourself for the time and effort involved in writing it.

Or do you do it for fun?

Gosh I HATE marketing books. I love the research, I love the writing, but I just cringe at the thought of trying to market them. I guess that is why I am no good at it. In the words of Dillie Keane: "So many people vying for space, you have to be shameless."

Good luck with it!

Helena
                      There are only a select few who make it big as an author. Yes, I'd have to sell a ridiculous amount of books but it's not really about that. If someone picks up my book and enjoys it for what it is, then I'm happy - I may have made a few pence as well!

I do it for pleasure as I've always liked to write - I must do, it took about 15 months. The enigma of Saucy Jack has also plagued me for years, and, being a Hammer/Peter Cushing fan, I decided to mix the two - vampires that is. After all, there are arguments there were two killers in the Autumn of Terror.

My story takes on that premise, but my vampire is a reluctant soul, and refuses to feed on the blood of humans, so one night during his nightly prowls for dock rats, he stumbles upon Jack and they form a pact - a partnership.

It closely follows the real timeline of the murders and I've not gone into graphic detail over the killings like some other authors, preferring to let the reader think about it - I've dedicated the book to the real victims, canonical or not. I think we forget they were real people who suffered a frightening and terrible end.

At the end of the book there is a short account about the real facts so the new reader can cross reference the story and perhaps go further with their own research.

I don't think I'm being shameless with the marketing, I'm doing it bit by bit, in-between my day job, and not relentlessly pounding Twitter with tweets constantly saying: 'Buy my book'. I'm struggling, in fact, to get my head around Twitter, Blogging and Facebook. It'll come I'm sure. I believe if the story is any good it will eventually get an audience.

Thanks Detective Helena

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
                        There's a generous 4 chapter preview so you can make your mind up

I would in the past have read fiction but I don't seem to have the time recently

I don't really pay attention to modern vampire stories because they seem so prevalent and banal

Good luck with the book though Simon

It seems well enough written to me as fiction goes
                        Thanks for the shout out there Nemo, I appreciate it. And for the link.

Everyone who has read the prologue has commented on how good it is.

Thanks for the kind words.

Simon

Comment

"Fellow author" Helena ;-)

I'm currently writing the biography of George Chapman.

Best of luck!

Helena

Comment

I love the cover.
                            Thanks Helena

I took the photo on a freezing cold day in January of this year, watched closely by a local policewoman who was parked up in her car, no doubt with the heater blasting. She smiled as I walked away, little knowing that same photo was to make it onto Amazon. It's actually the Guildhall in Leicester (supposedly haunted to boot!). Here's another image:
                            Obviously it went through Photoshop - all done by myself. The image of the knife was done on my kitchen worktop.

I've just had a look at your website and it must say something coming from you because there are some great-looking covers on there!

Funnily enough, there is a brief mention of Hastings in the novel when my main character, Jakob (he's Hungarian) winds up in Dover and realises just how hard it is to learn the English lingo after William the Conqueror had had such a profound influence on it.

Regards

Simon

Comment

"Fellow author" Helena ;-)

I'm currently writing the biography of George Chapman.

Best of luck!

Helena
                              Sorry, I'll address you Fellow Author Helena!

When you look at an image of George Chapman, he's quite eerie.
                              In my story, he's called Ludwig, and he's a bit of a naughty boy - just ask Inspector Abberline!

Good luck with your book.

Simon.

Comment

Working...
                              X