The ALLEGED photograph of Mary Jane Kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ALLEGED photograph of Mary Jane Kelly

I am glad to end all the cloak and dagger shenanigans that I hate. After very persistent but gentle pressure from myself the lady who originally sent this image has agreed to it being openly posted for comment and opinion.
    The alleged information I was sent claims that Kelly was one of six children - 4 brothers (originally 5 but one died young) and 2 daughters. The only names of her siblings I was given was that her sister was named Bridget and her oldest brother was named Henry John Joseph. Her parents were named Bridget Kelly and John Joseph Kelly. At an unspecified date after Mary Jane's murder the whole family moved to the USA and, as far as I am aware, remained there.
    The only info specific to the image I am posting below is that it was allegedly taken in 1885.
    Let me emphasise (and the person who sent this to me is well aware of this) I am by no means convinced that this is an image of the Mary Kelly who died at Millers Court. One of the main stumbling blocks for me is the (in my opinion) lack of resemblance between this alleged image of mary and that of her sister Bridget from the family group photo.
    To be as even handed as I can I am posting this same post on Casebook and JTR Forums at the same time.
    Also let me emphasise that no financial transaction has taken place - no money has been asked for or offered for this image.
    Chris
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chris Scott; 03-27-2012, 07:30 PM.

Thank you for posting the image. At first glance I'd say this lady is more attractive than I had expected. A very attractive young woman.

Comment

Thanks for that Chris, it is great to see the full image. Your right she looks nothing like Bridget, in fact she looks Creole, looks like she might have a bit of black or Indian blood, or am I just imagining things? The hair does not look European either.

Miss Marple
      Last edited by miss marple; 03-27-2012, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I have just realised who the photo resembles, its uncanny.

She looks like Adelaide Bartlett who in the 1880s was accused of poisoning her husband, a very notorious case [ she got off] Adelaide who was French [had very unusually for the period] cropped hair.

I would love to post a photo of Adelaide but I cant work the scanner. If anyone has one can they post it? Adelaide supposedly emigrated to America after the trial.

Miss Marple
        Last edited by miss marple; 03-27-2012, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting the image. While I am a bit dubious myself I will keep an open mind. I will say the jaw line is interesting and is how I would imagine Marys would be. A shame the hair isn't tied back as that may have helped a lot.

Is there any info on the photographer? Either on the front or back of the photo do you know?

Thanks to you for posting and the lady for giving permission.

Rob

Comment

Thanks for this, Chris, and please pass on my thanks to the family. I must say, she doesn't look like her putative sister and, for that matter, doesn't look particularly Irish though that is by the way - not all Irish people look "Irish" and a single snapshot needn't tell the full story of someone's normal appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
              I am glad to end all the cloak and dagger shenanigans that I hate. After very persistent but gentle pressure from myself the lady who originally sent this image has agreed to it being openly posted for comment and opinion.
              The alleged information I was sent claims that Kelly was one of six children - 4 brothers (originally 5 but one died young) and 2 daughters. The only names of her siblings I was given was that her sister was named Bridget and her oldest brother was named Henry John Joseph. Her parents were named Bridget Kelly and John Joseph Kelly. At an unspecified date after Mary Jane's murder the whole family moved to the USA and, as far as I am aware, remained there.
              The only info specific to the image I am posting below is that it was allegedly taken in 1885.
              Let me emphasise (and the person who sent this to me is well aware of this) I am by no means convinced that this is an image of the Mary Kelly who died at Millers Court. One of the main stumbling blocks for me is the (in my opinion) lack of resemblance between this alleged image of mary and that of her sister Bridget from the family group photo.
              To be as even handed as I can I am posting this same post on Casebook and JTR Forums at the same time.
              Also let me emphasise that no financial transaction has taken place - no money has been asked for or offered for this image.
              Chris
              Hi, Chris,
              Thanks for this and to the woman who allowed it to be posted.

Doesn't this young woman look very, very young? Almost like a girl?

Comment

Purported photo of Adelaide Bartlett :

Luminous-Lint collecting photography Online exhibition Murder Most Foul: A Selection of Nineteenth Century Murder Cases

"Mary's" face seems to have no make-up on it, which is odd given that the hat is expensive.

Comment

Thanks very much to the family and to Chris for posting this.
                  I agree with a lot of what's been said so far so I'm not much help. Like Jason, I would also say that this woman is very attractive. I also agree with Rob, it's a shame the hair isn't tied back from the face to compare the shape of the hairline, but the jawline does seem 'right' somehow.
                  But, yes, there doesn't appear to be any resemblance between Bridget and Mary at all. Do you only have a crop of Bridget from the family picture, Chris? Or the whole thing?

Comment

I managed to upload photo of Adelaide Bartlett.

Miss Marple
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Debs
                      I have the whole family pic but that is the one thing the donor is still adamant she wants held back
                      Chris

Comment

dark

Hello Chris. Thanks for posting this. The hair and eyes are indeed a bit darker than I would have imagined.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Hi Chris,

Can I add my thanks to those of others. I think Robert probably speaks for all those with an interest in the subject when he asks that the lady concerned be thanked also, for her kindness.

The lips of the lady in the photograph are quite full. For some reason, I thought there might be a point of comparison there but, having revisited the SOC photo, clearly not. I suppose the question now is provenance. A Victorian carte de visite with this image on would be helpful!

Regards, Bridewell
                          Last edited by Bridewell; 03-27-2012, 08:55 PM.
                          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

If..

this is Mary Kelly and the photograph was taken in 1885; then perhaps it could have been taken when she was in France (assuming that she was)?

Perhaps then we might be looking at one of the fine dresses she was reported to have in some sources.

I think this young lady could be 22 - it's hard to see her as older than that.

I don't tend to go on instinct but have to admit when I first saw this photograph I felt that it could be Mary Kelly. There's just something about it.

Comment

Robert, women did not wear make up in the 1880s/90s unless they were expensive tarts or actresses.

Miss Marple

Comment

Working...
                              X