No announcement yet.

SAVAGE by RICHARD LAYMON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People have different tastes, and I agree that the Ripper in the book didn't fit my preconceived notions of what he was, and was like. To me, the atmosphere surrounding the JtR cases is a big lure. Like you, I was also surprised that it ended outside London. By that point, I was already hooked on the story and wanted to see the killer get his come uppance. Khanada, there are probably more folks who will agree with you and just haven't bothered to post.

Best wishes,

Cel
    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Savage opens effectively in 1888 London terrorized by Jack the Ripper, but when the plot , Ripper and teen hero move to America and Wild West, the plot starts to lack itīs steam. Apparently Richard Laymon usually wrote sleazy, gory splatterpunk trash admired by Dean R Koontz and Stephen King; because yours truly is psychotic, not gore and filth fetisist, she was delighted by this "mild" novel which has some good atmosphere and not just gore and filth belonging to the sewers of Whitechapel. 3. 5 stars.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewmoquin View Post
        Savage opens effectively in 1888 London terrorized by Jack the Ripper, but when the plot , Ripper and teen hero move to America and Wild West, the plot starts to lack itīs steam. Apparently Richard Laymon usually wrote sleazy, gory splatterpunk trash admired by Dean R Koontz and Stephen King; because yours truly is psychotic, not gore and filth fetisist, she was delighted by this "mild" novel which has some good atmosphere and not just gore and filth belonging to the sewers of Whitechapel. 3. 5 stars.
        I read that review, too!
        Me?
        For the memory of my sweet, ambereyed and animal-loving mother (1932-2007). Be happy in Heaven.

Comment

I wouldn't call his books sleazy - populist, yes but sleazy no.

Comment

Working...
          X