Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Torso Killings: torso maps - by RockySullivan 21 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by harry 25 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 45 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 4 hours ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by jerryd 5 hours ago.
Witnesses: The mysterious Mrs Kennedy... - by rjpalmer 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (30 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (13 posts)
Witnesses: The mysterious Mrs Kennedy... - (3 posts)
Visual Media: A new BBC One documentary about one of the most infamous serial killers of all time. - (2 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 02-14-2018, 11:36 AM
Superintendent

Presumably Mr Dodd has always been aware of the connection between Battlecrease House, and the Maybrick case.

If so, it would be interesting to know if he ever let it be known to any of the workman he employed over the years that the Maybrick mystery had unfolded under the roof of his property

Last edited by Observer : 02-14-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:06 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
Thanks for that Mr Skinner

Yes, I assumed (seeing that Paul Begg, and Martin Howells were not mentioned in the book as visiting Battlecrease House) that Feldman and Barrett had possibly visited Battlecrease House on a subsequent visit, that is after the February 1993 visit.

I am aware that a timesheet exists for the installation of storage heaters dating to March 1992. However, Mr Dodds initial recollection of events, that is, the installation of storage heaters in 1988/9 strikes me as a little strange.

Lets face it, if storage heaters were fitted once only, then he's out in his recollection by over two years.

As you say perhaps there was work done in 1988/9 which involved the lifting of floorboards. We now have to ask the question ( if this is the case) why was nothing found under the floorboards during that time?

Mr Dodds surely holds the key, I'd be interested to know what his final words are on the matter.

Another thing which struck my mind is this. In February 1993 Paul Feldman apparently accepted the story that the Diary had been given to Mike Barrett by Tony Devereux. What prompted Paul Feldman, during his visit to Battlecrease House, to ask Mr Dodds if there had been any work carried out in the house in the recent past? A shot in the dark perhaps? Lateral thinking? Prior knowledge?

Regards

Observer
Mr Dodds by all accounts is decent chap and has always stated that there was no way that diary could have come out of battlecrease without his knowledge.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:25 PM
Detective

Evening all,

Just passing this along from KS.

TO OBSERVER

Thank you for your series of posts. All very reasonable and understandable questions and you join myself, Caroline, James and others in not knowing the answers. We are as confused as you as to what work was going on in Battlecrease House, what part of the building, when and by whom. Fortunately we are well placed to obtain factual clarification because Mr Dodd is giving us his full co-operation and support in order to try and help resolve these issues.

One question I can offer an answer to is why Paul Feldman asked Paul Dodd, on his first visit to Battlecrease in February 1993, as to whether there had been any work carried out in the recent past. There was always a slight unease around Mike Barrettís story that he had been given the Diary by the now dead Tony Devereux, without any explanation as to how Devereux had come by the Diary. This, I think, is what probably prompted Paulís question as to the possibility of it having been discovered in the house and finding its way into Devereuxís hands. As you say Ė a shot in the dark. But I think itís in Paulís book that he comments on Mikeís reaction, (also noted by Martin Howells and Paul Begg), that Mike physically staggered backwards upon learning work had been undertaken in the house. It might mean absolutely nothing - but it happened.

Thereís something which Shirley (Harrison) wrote in the 1998 updated revision of her book which has always struck me as particularly true:-

ďThose who have read the original, hardback edition of my book [1993] and the subsequent paperback editions will be aware that some of the details of Michaelís recollections have changed. We have been accused of altering the story to meet objections and so compounding a lie with a lie. Quite the reverse. Research is organic, it is not static. Over the five years since my first meeting with Michael I have learned a great deal. New information emerges every week and I have revised some of my interpretation of events accordingly, not to pervert the course of history, but to come nearer to the truth.Ē

In the main I am in agreement with what Shirley wrote, although I am very aware that, for Shirley, her interpretation of the new information will favour what she believes to be the truth. I donít have any problem with that. For me, I donít really care what the truth is or what side of the argument it comes down on. I donít care if James Maybrick, Michael Barrett or Bugs Bunny wrote this diary. It wonít make a scrap of difference to my life, or Carolineís or probably Jamesís. The truth is all that matters as far as I am concerned.

Hopefully, Iíll be able to get back to you over the next few months with answers to your questions.

Best Wishes
KS
Old 02-14-2018, 04:33 PM
Commisioner

How come Keith shows up on the members list, as a cadet, but still posts via a 3rd party.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:35 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
How come Keith shows up on the members list, as a cadet, but still posts via a 3rd party.
Says he has been a member since 20 jan.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:44 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Says he has been a member since 20 jan.
Itís all part of the mystery......wooooooo

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 02-14-2018, 05:08 PM
Commisioner

Hi Pinkmoon,

My money's on Mr. Dodds.

Regards,

Simon
Old 02-15-2018, 01:14 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Itís all part of the mystery......wooooooo
It's more of the bullshit more like.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:46 AM
Detective

Morning all. Just passing this along from KS. The happy postman, JJ

TO GUT

Thank you for your post #1004 Gut. (I’m giving up asking people for their real names!) The answer to your question about why a third party (James) continues to post on my behalf, now that my application to join the Casebook Forum has been approved, can be found in my post #948 to David Orsam on February 2nd 2018. Here’s what I wrote:-

“The fault is all mine because of my inability to, at the moment, comprehend how to put up posts for myself on the Forum now that I am a member. I think I explained that the other night I spent three hours composing a message to you in a small rectangular box – only to see it disappear before my eyes after trying to send it - and then staring at a notice which said I wasn’t logged in and hadn’t been recognised! That defeated me and rather than go through all that ordeal again, I asked James whether he would very kindly continue posting on my behalf until I managed to work out what I was doing wrong”

I thought I had logged on!

Several people were kind enough to offer me suggestions as to how to overcome my technical inability. But that wasted three hour stint so frustrated me that I decided to ask James if he could continue to be my postman until such time as I could go it alone. I should be meeting James in a few weeks time when he has promised to take me through the process of what to do. I just thought it fairer to acknowledge, (via James), peoples direct questions to me and give a full accurate response where I am able to immediately do so without reference to my files, (most of which are presently in storage), rather than keep people waiting.

Hope this answers your question as to why I am still at cadet status – where I’m quite happy to remain incidentally!

Best Wishes
Keith Skinner
Old 02-15-2018, 03:23 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmoon View Post
Mr Dodds by all accounts is decent chap and has always stated that there was no way that diary could have come out of battlecrease without his knowledge.
But unless he was directly supervising the electrical work for the entire period, which I assume was not the case, I don't see how he could be so certain.

Not that I believe for a second that the diary was removed from Battlecrease, although it's possible some other document was unearthed.