Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jdombrowski89 View Post
    Gideon,

I do believe he's talking about how a Ripper letter was sent (Through Telegram) with the ending signature "Mr Nobody". Also Sickert was known to have given himself knicknames, like Mr. Nobody. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Justin
    Yes, but I don't recall seeing a telegram signed off 'Mr. Nobody' and all the people who sent the hoax letters and telegrams weren't suspects anyway, were they?

Comment

Originally posted by Gideon Fell View Post
      Yes, but I don't recall seeing a telegram signed off 'Mr. Nobody' and all the people who sent the hoax letters and telegrams weren't suspects anyway, were they?
      Gideon,

There is a telegram such so but the "Mr. Nobody" was crossed out and re-written next ot it was "Jack The Ripper' They were but at the time most of the police officials didn't nessecarily deem them to be all authentic, especially ones from the USA!

Regards,
      Justin
      They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

OK thanks, that was the 'Tiddley Boyar' one of 23rd October 1888 I suppose. I think Ms. Cornwell suggests that it must have been Sickert as he had a stage name of Mr. Nobody. Bit thin I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Gideon Fell View Post
          OK thanks, that was the 'Tiddley Boyar' one of 23rd October 1888 I suppose. I think Ms. Cornwell suggests that it must have been Sickert as he had a stage name of Mr. Nobody. Bit thin I think.
          No problem. Yeah that would be it. Well unfortunately that is how Cornwells whole book goes, just because there's mere coincidences there must be a connection, which of course isn't true.

Regards,
          Justin
          They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Unfortunatly, the names Mr Nemo, Mr Nobody, were commonly used in that era as a name for anonymous. So to make an analogy with modern films, in Sickert's case it was an Alan Smithee. That is why Captain Nemo is named Nemo.

"Nemo" is Latin for "no one"., if Anyone who used the name Nemo, then could jules verne have been jack the ripper, he used that name in 1870. Even Charles Dickens used the name Nemo in bleak house. So it was Common enough.
            Last edited by mercurior; 02-18-2008, 01:23 AM.
            Absence of Proof doesnt mean Proof of Absence

Comment

Sickert signed his name Mr Nobody because he is just that to the case, A Mr Nobody

Mike
              Regards Mike

Comment

Telegram Proves Sickert Ripper

Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	652769
                Here's the Mr. Nobody Ripper telegram from Cornwell's book that I alluded to. It's been shown that Walter Sickert, during his acting days, did use the Mr. Nobody nickname. Now, I assert that no other Ripper suspect did use it and insist upon proof to the contrary. The fact that Sickert is the only Ripper suspect that used the nickname makes Sickert the only logical candidate for the Ripper. Period!
                Last edited by denn034; 02-29-2008, 05:37 AM. Reason: Add Smiley and Words

Comment

That would only make the slightest sense if there were any reason to think the Ripper actually wrote the telegram (there isn't) and there were any reason to think that only Sickert would use a nickname like that (there isn't). Both of those fail quite spectacularly.

Plus all the evidence that's we have shows that Sickert was in France during September of 1888, which would mean he didn't kill Annie Chapman, Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes. If you'd like to dispute that, then you should provide evidence to the contrary. So far the only argument that he wasn't in France is basically that he had to have been the Ripper so he couldn't have been in France. You can't just summarily ignore all the evidence that shows you're wrong and insist that you are right. That's not winning an argument, that's demonstrating an inability to deal with reality.

Dan Norder
                  Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                  Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Dan,

Also, the popularity of Jules Verne in Europe and in North America at that time, and the mysterious Captain Nemo (no one, or nobody in Latin), made the use of such a pseudonym relatively popular in personal correspondence for a time.

Mike
                    huh?

Comment

Hi Mike,

Exactly. Nobody/Noman/Nemo and variants were widely included in fiction and folklore throughout the world, and people picked it up as an obvious way of cleverly saying they wanted to be anonymous. Even Catherine Eddowes used it when she was arrested Sept. 29th, so it wasn't limited to the upper classes or artists.

Dan Norder

Comment

In this case it appears that Mr Nobody was just the first (and fairly obvious) jokey name to enter the writer's head, so that's what he wrote. Then it struck him that Jack the Ripper would be funnier and topical too, so he struck out Mr Nobody and put that instead.

All very obvious for the time, and no possible clue to either the writer's identity or Jack's.

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Final Word

Originally posted by Dan Norder View Post
                          That would only make the slightest sense if there were any reason to think the Ripper actually wrote the telegram (there isn't) and there were any reason to think that only Sickert would use a nickname like that (there isn't). Both of those fail quite spectacularly. Plus all the evidence that's we have shows that Sickert was in France during September of 1888, which would mean he didn't kill Annie Chapman, Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes.
                          First, Ripperologists think that the Ripper wrote, at least, two of the Ripper letters. Compare them to the telegram to see the similarities. Second, I asked for proof that the other Ripper suspects used the nickname and you gave me none. Lastly, Sickert being in France was dealt with already in this thread. Lastly, go to http://www.casebook.org/witnesses and compare those Ripper descriptions to the following two photos of Sickert:Click image for larger version

Name:	Sickert.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	652776Click image for larger version

Name:	Sickert2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	652777
                          Mystery solved. Case closed. Fini!

Comment

Originally posted by denn034 View Post
                            First, Ripperologists think that the Ripper wrote, at least, two of the Ripper letters.
                            They do? Gee, I would imagine I would be in pretty good position to know what Ripperology as a field has to say on that topic, and, quite simply, you're just wrong.

But, hey, if having read part of a Patricia Cornwell book and taking it at face value as if it had anything to do with reality has you convinced you know more than everyone else here, it's clear there's no way anyone can talk some sense to you.

Dan Norder

Comment

This crap makes "On The Trail Of The Forgers" appear to be a work of inspired genius!

Away to Pub Talk with all mention of Sickert who, apart from not being the Ripper, is also one of my favourite artists of the late 19th/early 20th centuries.

Oh, and Denn034: if, per your last post, the case is closed, mystery solved, finis, etc., etc., hopefully that's the last we'll ever hear from you. (does the "034" refer to your IQ, by any chance?)

I don't often get personal, nasty, rotten, horrid, insulting or sarcastic on these boards, but I do make an exception with anything suggesting that Sickert was the Ripper. William Ewart Gladstone is just as likely to have done in the East End whores. Or Sir Arthur Sullivan. Or any other notable Victorian you care to name.

Cheers,

Graham
                              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Reading Assignment

Originally posted by Dan Norder View Post
                                They do? Gee, I would imagine I would be in pretty good position to know what Ripperology as a field has to say on that topic, and, quite simply, you're just wrong.
                                Sugden's Complete History of Jack the Ripper and the Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper book say Ripperologists acknowledge, at least, two letters. Period! Perhaps, some reading is in order for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X