Jack The Ripper: In My Blood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Debra A View Post

Belcher certainly worked as a milk carrier and the company in Dorset Street Spitalfields existed at some point, but no source was presented by the authors to support the idea that Belcher worked in Dorset Street, Spitalfields in 1888. There's really no way to disprove a statement said to be based on a source the family said they wanted to keep private, short of a list of employees for that company dated 1888, turning up.
    HI Debs,
    Any idea what the company was called, or where it was in Dorset Street?
    I do recall one mention of a milk company in the press (the Echo 9 Nov), describing the locality of the latest murder;

"Dorset Street is a narrow street running out of Commercial-street, between Whitechapel and Shoreditch. The street is half composed of warehouses and half of lodging-houses. Opposite the house in which the murder was committed stands the Commercial-street Chambers for men - a big substantial building, which should accommodate many men of a night. The other side of the Chambers is a warehouse of Messrs. Bayne and Wright, milk contractors."

'The other side', to me, puts the warehouse in White's Row but I've not seen it on period maps. Although there is an unnamed "provision warehouse" on the northern corner of White's Row and Commecial Street which might fit the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

HI Debs,
      Any idea what the company was called, or where it was in Dorset Street?
      I do recall one mention of a milk company in the press (the Echo 9 Nov), describing the locality of the latest murder;

"Dorset Street is a narrow street running out of Commercial-street, between Whitechapel and Shoreditch. The street is half composed of warehouses and half of lodging-houses. Opposite the house in which the murder was committed stands the Commercial-street Chambers for men - a big substantial building, which should accommodate many men of a night. The other side of the Chambers is a warehouse of Messrs. Bayne and Wright, milk contractors."

'The other side', to me, puts the warehouse in White's Row but I've not seen it on period maps. Although there is an unnamed "provision warehouse" on the northern corner of White's Row and Commecial Street which might fit the bill.

Hi Joshua

I noted it from the book as 'Bayles and Wright' -I don't have access to the book now to check back.

In his dissertation here on Casebook, https://www.casebook.org/dissertatio...erdossier.html Viper wrote that "There is little evidence of other businesses being conducted from Dorset St in the 1880s, but in the years following we see two milk contractors listed at nos. 13A and 14A by Messrs. William Wright and Amos Payne and a coal dealer, Miss Jane Brooks from no. 39."

Obviously there is a name in common in those sources, including in your Echo excerpt- 'Wright'

Debs

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

Interesting. I have been erratic in visiting Casebook, and had missed the mention of a new alleged suspect. Somehow, I seem to recall someone posting on here quite awhile ago about doing "family research" and asking JtR questions, but not answering much about their line of inquiry. Don't know if that was Ms. Bainbridge or not.

William Belcher's case does seem shaky to me, being another case of circumstantial evidence, as most "relative" suspects seem to be. At least he can be proved to be in the time and general area, which some cannot be.
        I was shocked this morning when reading these new posts that Belcher was written about over 9 years ago!
        I think the biggest obstacle is that the authors stated as a fact that Belcher lived in Whitechapel when in fact he lived in Marylebone and they had the streets mixed up.

Comment

Working...
        X