Mary Jane Kelly and the victims of Jack the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sally View Post
    .... personally I don't think Kelly's London stories were ever unlikely to be true; non of it (except arguably the trip to France perhaps) is implausible.
    Another spin-off from Neal's research could be to see if any family link exists between the McCarthy's of Breezers Hill and those at Millers Court.
    We have long wondered if Mary Kelly knew John McCarthy on more familiar grounds (excessively overdue rent?) than was claimed by McCarthy himself. And remember, his brother (also John) was born in France.

For myself I am simply grateful for this step forward in understanding Kelly's life - and I am hopeful that further discoveries will come from the research.
    There are several avenue's already mentioned to pursue just as spin-off's from this one book. I'm glad to see a light has been lit under this apparently stalled topic.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I was just going through some of my files and I noticed that a David Felix was the licenced dealer of Cow-Houses located in 37 Hanbury Street and 15 Tilley Street, in 1893 (the date of this report).
      He still had these premises in 1897.
      A Cow House is where cows would be kept and milked.
      There had been cows kept on Hanbury Street and specifically no. 37 for some time. No. 37 was on the north side quite near to Brick Lane.
      We are told that Adrianus and Johannes Morgenstern called themselves Felix as it was a name common among skinner dressers in the area they lived (Portree Street, Bromley, Poplar). There are still quite a few original houses in Portree Street. I know that area reasonably well.
      It is on the same page as slaughter houses as they all had to be inspected. As can be seen the slaughter houses are concentrated on ‘Butcher’s Row’.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Whitechapel report 1893 slaugher houses - Copy.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	665289

Comment

I didn't know Shemp worked with Joseph Lialter.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
          I didn't know Shemp worked with Joseph Lialter.
          Yes, my earlier records show a 'Curly' working with Lialter. Shemp must have replaced him in the position.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi there,

I've just downloaded and read the kindle book. Brilliant piece of work re Morganstern, Felix and Boeku.

I have a particular interest in Breezers Hill because my grandmother was born at no. 3 in 1896.

I have looked up the census returns as part of my family research and was rather intrigued by the entry for Ellen Fallon, the adopted child of the McCarthys living at no. 1, to all appearances a brothel, in 1891. She would have been around 2 years old in 1885.

Regards,

MrB

Comment

Working...
            X