what new JtR books are coming down the pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris wrote:
    As a second best, you can search the text of "Ultimate" on the Amazon website,

Sure thing. Amazon and Googlebooks are time- and money-saving alternatives. (Though often there's a limit to the pages one is allowed to consult on these sites.)
    Best regards,
    Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood
      While we're at it–

"Deconstructing Jack: The Secret History of the Whitechapel Murders", publication date tba.

Regards,

Simon
      Is it possible that Simon Wood is writing a book? Simon, your research covers a lot of ground and many disparate areas of the field. How have you decided on a path to follow to conclusion? I for one will devour your book the moment it comes out. I also think you'd be a great editor for an anthology of essays on the Ripper crimes that perhaps covers research a little out of left field. Not crank or amateur stuff, but I know have my ideas that I don't talk about on the boards because many just 'wouldn't get it', and I'm certain other posters who write do as well. Would make a great collection. Anyway, whatever your project is, I'd be delighted to contribute in some way, and I don't say that to many writers.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom,

Yes, it's true.

Thank you. I appreciate your generous comments and offer of assistance.

Truth to tell, my path to follow was decided for me when, quite by accident, I discovered that my many disparate areas of research actually formed a discernible pattern.

I think your idea for an anthology of left-field essays is stellar. But while there's a lot of interesting writers out there who would benefit greatly from the discipline and focus of a tough editor with a mental zero point of "no opinion", I hope you'll understand why I don't consider myself the right person for the job.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi Simon. My offer of assistance was sincere. Still a lot of rocks to turn over in this case. As for the anthology, I still think you'd be a good editor for it, not sure who else would be. I'd like to edit one myself further down the road, because they're fun but often have too many worthless submissions.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

On the subject of Ripper Notes, whilst I know the website is gone & no new issues have been published in a while, they are produced as books. Can anyone enlighten me as to how many there are, & which ones are essentials? (I'm planning my desired stuff for christmas list...)

Cheers in advance.

Comment

Lemonjelly,
              just DON'T order any Ripper Notes issues from their website, even if this website turns up again. There have been financial problems with their editor, and you're not likely to receive what you order there.
              There have been 28 or 27 issues for Ripper Notes, until it ceased publication. You can order some issues (but not all) on amazon.com or amazon.uk, and you can read them for free at googlebooks: (http://books.google.co.uk/books?)
              Best regards,
              Maria

Comment

Ripper Notes

You can read only parts of them for free. None of the issues were published as books and unfortunately there's never been a 'best of' edition. The last 6 or so (edited and published by Dan Norder) were handsomely produced in a book like format and usually ran over 100 pages. They were registered with the Library of Congress and have ISBNs but are still referred to as journals. The last issue was #28. I have an almost complete set (Frustratingly, I lack only the first issue) and can say that ALL issues are worth seeking out if you can find them.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                  Hi Garza,

These days, I'd say you're most safe with the journals. Unlike authors these days, most of whom are self-published, the journals have editorial control and offer a wide variety of reportage. Plus, they include book reviews, not only of new Ripper books but of subjects that are related, and I've found some really good books this way. One could buy a sub to both Ripperologist and Casebook Examiner for HALF the price of a single Ripper book, get four times the material, and much more variety.
                  Having said that I also buy the Ripper books because I'm a geek and can afford it. If you're not a geek or can't afford all the books, buy the journals.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                  Hey Tom,

Applied for Casebook examiner, what happens now do I get the 3 past issues or does it start from now? Can I get the past 3 issues?

Ripperologist website is broken, cant subscribe.

Comment

Garza,
                    for the 3 back issues of Examiner, just PM Supe (Don Souden), who's the editor. For Ripperologist, PM Eduardo Zinna (who posts on casebook as Captain Hook), he's the editor. I need to PM Zinna too, I haven't yet subscribed to Ripperologist either, and there's an ever growing list of back issues I'd like to order at some point.
                    Best regards,
                    Maria

Comment

Is PMing Eduardo the current protocol? It's never been that way in the past. Generally, you contact Adam Wood. But whatever the case, Eduardo can steer you in the right direction. I did not know Rip's website was down. You going to Ripperologist.info?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Forgive my last post. Ripperologist.info was their old url. It's now ripperologist.biz. The site has an active frontpage, but the rest isn't accessible right now. Having said that, I know for a fact they have back issues for sale. All issues from #62 forward are in electronic format, and select print issues before that are available from the editors or other sources.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

The email address I have is contact@ripperologist.biz. But I haven't tried it yet, as I've been too busy to take care of this. I doubt that PMing Eduardo is the current protocol, but it's you who told me to do that, Tom. Adam Wood as the one who's been organizing the last London conferences? He's involved in editing Ripperologist? At any rate, I'll try the email address first before PMing anybody (when I'm done with my list, which I've no time to do now). Garza, if you manage to subscribe through that email address, maybe you could tell us? There's no haste (at least for me.)
                          Last edited by mariab; 11-01-2010, 08:48 PM.
                          Best regards,
                          Maria

Comment

Adam Wood predates even Paul Begg in Ripperologist history, going back almost to the first issue (Begg joined with #28 as editor). Adam was primarily the layout guy, but it seems to me he oversees all the main operations, such as getting the issues out, etc. Rip has been noticeably more sporadic since Don Souden resigned as editor a year or so ago, with Jennifer Shelden resigning at around the same time.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

OK, thanks so much for all the info. Might I ask, what year did Ripperologist start out? In the early 1990s? I just realized that casebook doesn't have a special page for Ripperologist (like for Examiner), to look up back issues and stuff. Or am I missing something?
                              I thought that Adam Wood was in my age group or a little bit older? (In his mid thirties, or maybe 40 tops?) When did he start working with the mag, at 15?
                              Best regards,
                              Maria

Comment

The drain got stopped up years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X