X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Stewart
    Fascinating thread.
    Can you answer a query for me, I wonder
    Are there any Ripper related books which are known to have existed but of which no known copy is extant?
    many thanks for any info
    regards
    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
      Hi Stewart
      Fascinating thread.
      Can you answer a query for me, I wonder
      Are there any Ripper related books which are known to have existed but of which no known copy is extant?
      many thanks for any info
      regards
      Chris
      Hi Chris, there are three Ripper books on my wanted list that I have never seen, nor do I know anyone with copies. The rarest titles in my own collection appear to be Morderen by Richard Jensen (Cream is the Ripper); The Royal Ripper by Godfrey Kwok, 1972 and The Whitechapel Murders by Susan K. Mylechreest, Oxford Polytechnic 1974.
      SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
        Hi Chris, there are three Ripper books on my wanted list that I have never seen, nor do I know anyone with copies. The rarest titles in my own collection appear to be Morderen by Richard Jensen (Cream is the Ripper); The Royal Ripper by Godfrey Kwok, 1972 and The Whitechapel Murders by Susan K. Mylechreest, Oxford Polytechnic 1974.
        Hi Stewart
        many thanks for the reply
        What are the three titles which you have never seen?
        Also do you happen to have any idea what is the highest price (online or at auction etc) ever paid for a Ripper book?
        regards
        Chris
        Last edited by Chris Scott; 09-09-2008, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
          Hi Stewart
          many thanks for the reply
          What are the three titles which you have never seen?
          Also do you happen to have any idea what is the highest price (online or at auction etc) ever paid for a Ripper book?
          regards
          Chris
          Hi Chris, If I broadcast the three titles that I am seeking everyone else will be putting them into ebay and Bookfinder search engines and thus I will be creating difficulties for myself. I think that the higest price paid online for a Ripper book (off the top of my head) was around $2,000. Privately I know that £2,000 changed hands for one title.
          SPE

Comment

Stewart
            I completely understand your reasoning and I do hope that you find these rarities you are looking for.
            Wow, that is some price for a JTR book. And, of course, like other fields, it is not always the oldest that are the most valuable. More to do with rarity than age, I suppose
            Thanks for your help, as always
            Chris

Comment

Hi Stewart,
              Morderen by Jensen. Is this a Danish or Norwegian book (judging from the title and the author's very Scandinavian-sounding name)?

All the best
              The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Morderen

Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
                Hi Stewart,
                Morderen by Jensen. Is this a Danish or Norwegian book (judging from the title and the author's very Scandinavian-sounding name)?
                All the best
                Hi Glenn, The book is Danish, full title Morderen der aldrig blev fanget - og maaske fanget which translates as The Murderer That Was Never Caught - and Maybe Caught. It was published in 1938 and Ross Strachan says of it - "The Royal Danish Library, which claims to own a copy of every book published in Denmark, has no record of this book's existence - but I have it on very good authority that it does indeed exist." Well, yes it does and here is my copy -

Click image for larger version

Name:	morderen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	654812
                SPE

Comment

Interesting, Stewart. Thanks.

Indeed, Danish it is.
                  The small title says 'When the Horrors of Whitechapel Shook the Queen of England'

All the best
                  Last edited by Glenn Lauritz Andersson; 09-10-2008, 12:43 AM.
                  The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Stewart, if you have a copy of 'The Medical Age', journal of medicine and surgery, published in 1888, I'd love to see the article on Jack the Ripper?

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
                      Stewart, if you have a copy of 'The Medical Age', journal of medicine and surgery, published in 1888, I'd love to see the article on Jack the Ripper?
                      AP - no I don't. I have copies of Ripper murders articles from several contemporary medical journals but none of this name. The only journal I have listed that has this name is The Medical Age which was a fortnightly journal of medicine and surgery published in Detroit.
                      SPE

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for posting these photos, Stewart. Goodman is mentioned in a few books I own, and Borowitz includes his name in the dedication to The Thurtell-Hunt Murder Case, which is one of my favorites. It's always interesting for me to see what these men I read about looked like, not to mention seeing their collection, which adds more than a bit of drool to my appreciation.

JM

Comment

Thanks for posting these pictures Stewart, his book collection was awe inspiring.

I thought my collection was big!
                          Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                          Regards Mike

Comment

Jonathan Goodman Collection

The Jonathan Goodman collection is up for auction at Bloomsbury auctions on Friday 12 December 2008 and includes his Ripper collection -

SPE

Comment

There's some of these things I'm seriously interested in, but the price of each is running into the hundreds. I'm going to have to do some hard thinking here.

No William Stewart, though?

PHILIP
                              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Rare Volumes

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                                There's some of these things I'm seriously interested in, but the price of each is running into the hundreds. I'm going to have to do some hard thinking here.
                                No William Stewart, though?
                                PHILIP
                                It's not a particularly good listing I'm afraid as many of the volumes haven't been detailed, such as in the Ripper lot where it lists some and adds '...and a small quantity of others.'

Jonathan did have a William Stewart and it appears in my photograph posted earlier on this thread. However, I think the collection has been well sorted and some of the more desirable items have gone.

However, there are still some gems there, including some very rare volumes, which may go at the auction for a bargain price.
                                SPE

Comment

Working...
                                X