Did Jack leave the Scene by carriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom,
    I tend to discount this witness but then I hadn’t thought of the very valid point Lynn made about snoozing and not realising it.
    The train was timetabled for 3.30 – which I think should be kept as a constant.

The rest of the time line that night is exceptionally confused and contradictory – what a surprise.

For example Cross says he left home at 3.30 (although some accounts say 3.20).
    It is seven minutes walk to the murder scene (presuming he went straight there).
    So he should be there about 3.37.
    Paul says he left home at 3.45. It is two minutes walk to the murder scene. He should be there at 3.47.
    He was 40 yards behind Cross though at about 3.45 ish
    Neil says he found the body at 3.45 as well and summoned Thain roughly at the same time.
    Emma Green (next door) and Purkiss (opposite) claim to have been knocked at 4.00 – but other policemen and by-standers were there then, at a time when Neil would have almost certainly been alone.
    Llewellyn reckons he got there at about 4.00. Thain fetched him and seems to have skived first by calling in at the slaughter yard to get his cape – and told the slaughtermen what had happened.
    The slaughtermen went to look at the body at 4.20.
    It seems to me that if Thain set off to get Llewellyn at 3.50 it is unlikely Llewellyn would have been roused, dressed and back to Bucks Row before 4.10.
    Paul says it took them 4 minutes to find Mizen. But Mizen says he arrived at the murder scene at 4.15.
    Paul says Mizen continued knocking up and Cross pointedly told Mizen that he was not sure that Nichols was dead.
    The body was taken to the mortuary at 4.30 – but Mizen had to go to Bethnal Green police station and back to get the ambulance.
    I could add other timings which would just add to the confusion.

How did humble people wake up each morning at the right time? How could they tell the time if they couldn’t hear a church clock – and most people wouldn’t be able to?
    Were clockwork alarm clocks cheap?

However it is fairly clear that the discovery happened at about 3.45 which is 15 minutes after the train arrived. The earliest feasible time for the Cross-Paul discussion is 3.40.

Llewellyn said the murder had happened within half an hour – or even a smaller timescale.
    She was still warm as was testified by Paul and Neil (and Cross for what his testimony is worth).
    If Cross didn’t do it then he must have just missed the culprit. The signs are that the culprit was disturbed as Polly’s dress was half pulled down, covering her stomach wounds. That tells me that the culprit wanted to buy time and didn’t want it to be obvious she was dead.

I think the murder happened at about 3.40. Paul disturbed him at about 3.43. Neil arrived about 3.48. Paul and Cross met Mizen also at about 3.48.
    There would have been whispering at 3.40 and 3.43.

Everyone – including Cross (for what it’s worth) say they saw no one else about.

Comment

Originally posted by GregBaron View Post
      Hi all,

Also, judging by the M.O., I doubt there was much moaning going on. no time really, between throttle and throat slicing....

Greg
      you might be right there. But Cross/Paul who found the body thought they felt a faint heartbeat:

Robert Paul was a carman working in Corbett's Court (today's Corbett Place) off Hanbury Street, Spitalfields, he lived at 30 Foster Street, Whitechapel. He was on his way to work as he passed down Buck's Row at approx. 3.45am on 31st August 1888, when he was approached by Charles Cross who had just discovered the body of Mary Ann Nichols. Paul felt her face and hands and said "I think she's breathing but it's very little if she is". He thought she may be dead.

Dont know if those too chaps had that much medical knowledge though

About the carriage. Im not that familiar with ways of transportation in whitechapel and the east end., so if anyone here could enlighten me, and maybe post an link to information about routines or so in the East end, please do.
      " The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. "

Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi Lechmere. Thanks for that. This post should be reapplied to the 'Polly Nichols' thread as it's valuable for discussion. I can't see Cross hanging around the scene for 10 minutes waiting for Paul.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

short of time

Hello Tom. Right. They were pressed for time, according to the story.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Moan?

Paul felt her face and hands and said "I think she's breathing but it's very little if she is".
            Hi Luke111,

I think it would be very difficult to breath or moan when one's vocal chords and wind pipe are severed to the vertebrae. The woman was dead.

The only moaning I could surmise is some sort of pre sex play or possibly a violent under the breath groan while being throttled. Once the throat is sliced all sound ceases except perhaps the gurgling of blood into the gutter...

Greg

Comment

[QUOTE=GregBaron;199548]Hi Luke111,

I think it would be very difficult to breath or moan when one's vocal chords and wind pipe are severed to the vertebrae. The woman was dead.

The only moaning I could surmise is some sort of pre sex play or possibly a violent under the breath groan while being throttled. Once the throat is sliced all sound ceases except perhaps the gurgling of blood into the gutter...
              I agree with you Greg -except for your 'When Harry met Sally' moment.

There is nothing to say that if there was any groaning, that it was from a woman anyway. It could have been from the killer.
              http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Hi Greg,

As Polly was grabbed about the mouth in a smothering fashion, any moaning might have been her muffled cries. Though based on Lechmere's intriguing time line, if the train passed right at 3:30am, but Cross and Paul weren't at the scene until 10 or 15 minutes later, then it could have been Polly with another client, or possibly the Ripper himself.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

then it could have been Polly with another client, or possibly the Ripper himself.
                  That doesn't hold water, Tom. She was a very poor prostitute in a very piteous predicament...why an earth would she bother 'faking' ?

Hang on..no...you're not seriously suggesting ...?

The fact remains that, as Greg pointed out, you can't moan with a cut windpipe, and any description of moaning means that either Lechmere is right in surmising that her abdomen was attacked before her throat was cut, or it was the killer himself.

Or drunken tuneless humming from a passer by (that was a joke -but in fact the 'moaning' was described after it was known that the murder had been committed, so actually it could be true...).

Comment

A moan or a groan?

Hi Ruby and Tom,

We may have to consult our dictionaries to distinguish between a moan and a groan.

I basically agree with you both, yes Tom, she could have had her mouth covered in a smothering fashion which is basically what I was trying to say.

She may have been throttled about the neck or the neck and mouth simultaneously. This is indeed the only time I can consider a moan being heard unless as Ruby says, it came from the killer.

Somehow I have a hard time imagining Jack or any punter moaning for that matter but maybe it's a good ruse before an attack?

As for Lechmere, wouldn't a gut attack first leave a lot more blood on the dress and garments?

I got a kick out of your Harry Met Sally comment Ruby. Thanks for that.

Greg

Comment

Somehow I have a hard time imagining Jack or any punter moaning for that matter but maybe it's a good ruse before an attack?
                      (Hi Greg !)
                      Well I actually mean't after the attack -I presume that the killer
                      enjoyed the attack, since he evidently wanted to repeat the performance.

Comment

Dreaming...

Well I actually mean't after the attack -I presume that the killer
                        enjoyed the attack, since he evidently wanted to repeat the performance.
                        I suppose this is a possibility Ruby but I wouldn't be surprised if the woman simply had an overactive imagination or perhaps heard her husband moaning in his sleep..............an exciting dream perhaps...

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregBaron View Post
                          Hi Luke111,

Greg
                          My mistake, how could I`ve forgotten that How possible you think it is that she heard Nichols being beaten or else by the ripper?
                          " The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. "

Albert Einstein

Comment

Can only surmise...

Hi Luke,

I don't think Nichols was beaten by the ripper so obviously I don't think it was heard. As for whether the woman heard the ripper and Nichols below.........I certainly think it possible although I think it more likely she heard Cross and Paul...

The moaning, if real, does give pause, although as I've stated, I don't think Polly did much moaning so if anyone moaned perhaps, as Ruby suggests, it was the killer?

My intuition insinuates that if a moan was heard it was from Polly as she was being strangled..........the signature of this murderer or murderers is that very little noise is heard............

Greg

Comment

My intuition insinuates that if a moan was heard it was from Polly as she was being strangled..........the signature of this murderer or murderers is that very little noise is heard............
                              I don't think that if someone very strong had their hands around your neck
                              and was determined to stop you making any noise, that you would be able to groan or moan. Surely you would need some air to emit any sound from your vocal cords ? (please don't experiment this one at home guys).

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
                                I don't think that if someone very strong had their hands around your neck
                                and was determined to stop you making any noise, that you would be able to groan or moan. Surely you would need some air to emit any sound from your vocal cords ? (please don't experiment this one at home guys).
                                I agree that if the sound came from Nichols and her killer, it was likely from the killer, a spontaneous, involuntary sound as he perhaps was lowering the body to the ground, or the body sagged against him in death, or as he dropped beside her to begin "his work" some small involuntary sound that might have been described as a moan for lack of a better word by the witness, who may not have had a dictionary handy to decide whether moan or groan or even grunt best suited the sound she heard.

Comment

Working...
                                X