No announcement yet.

Severin/hairdressers in The White Hart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severin/hairdressers in The White Hart?

Hi. Please help me out. Severin Klosowski has become my favoured 'Jack' in the last couple years, and The White Hart has become a regular of mine. Im interested to know how much the pub has changed since the 1880's but more so where the entrance to the barbers was. I imagine it was accessed via George Yard rather than through the pub? If so anyone have an approximation where the door wouldve been and if gone when was that? What was the name of the barbers? I know a couple guys from here have asked and seen the basement..was it just accesed via steps behind the bar and were they the same used by Severin? On the subject- who owns the pub now- brewery or private? Met most of the staff, tall Irish chap with dark hair and the older grey haired man..anyone know if either is the owner? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance.

363 views and not one reply? Who were the members who got into the basement? Andrew? Philip?

Comment

Oh yeah, everyone remembers Philip and Andrew...the 2 who didn't actually manage to get into the cellar.....whereas Monty slips on by.

Yes Adam, the entrance to the Barber Shop was situated in Gunthorpe street, roughly where the entrance is now, slightly to the right.

We went down via the cellar doors behind the bars. The pub basement has breeze blocks in it and has been modified. Then you go toward the back, through a door, to the room where Chapman ran his shop. Its slightly higher there. Infact you know where the bar area rises when you go toward the toilets, that's roughly where Chapmans shop starts.

The Guv'ner there is a lovely chap and, if you hit the pub on a quiet Sunday, have a chat with him and ask. He can only say no can't he?

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Interesting Monty thankyou! So back then did the pub stop around the point the floor slightly raises? If so when did the extension happen and what was in that space above the barbers? Would Severin and customers have used same stairs you did? Was in there yesterday and noticed the frame at the end of the bar has had most pub photos of punters removed but in the bottom left corner is a pic of Severin himself!
        By the way, must surely be by design that the law firms phone number on their door opposite the side entrance to the pub ends with the numbers 1888?

Comment

Working...
        X