All Roads Lead to Dorset St.,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJA View Post
    It is not very precise if nobody can find any record of Mary Jane Kelly before her murder.
    It is precise in that this was the only information the police had to go on, whether it was her real name or not.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Probably explains why they couldn't catch Jack the Ripper
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
        "the first-floor front, facing Dorset-street, being over a shed or warehouse used for the storage of costers' barrows."
        Daily Telegraph, 10 Nov;

"Elizabeth Prater, the occupant of the first floor front room, was one of those who saw the body through the window"

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
          Daily Telegraph, 10 Nov;

"Elizabeth Prater, the occupant of the first floor front room, was one of those who saw the body through the window"
          That makes sense.
          Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
            Daily Telegraph, 10 Nov;

Reinforced, of course, by her inquest testimony: "I live at 20 Room in Miller's-court, above the shed" (Daily Telegraph, 13th November)
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
              If she was so attached to the Conway name, why did she revert to her maiden name when in Wandsworth prison?
              Legalities I suspect ...... as with her burial
              Certainly wasn't named after John Kelly
              The mere fact that she chose to use the name Conway many years after hooking up with Kelly suggests to me that she never particularly wanted to use the name .
              The real mystery is what changed on her return from Kent .
              Which given a little thought may not be a mystery at all
              You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                Reinforced, of course, by her inquest testimony: "I live at 20 Room in Miller's-court, above the shed" (Daily Telegraph, 13th November)
                And yet a few posts back you were at pains to point out that stables are more like a shed than a parlour and 26 was a barrow depot rather than a shed .
                Fact is eddowes could have slept in either /or neither .... but two reports suggests it to be more probable than possible .
                I like 'probable'..... it's about as good as things get with JTR on the whole 😀
                Whether 26 or 6 doesn't affect the whole point which is that at all the c5 lived or at times stayed within yards of each other and frequented the same (parlour style ) public houses spending the majority of their time in them .
                They knew each other well , of course they did .
                Any other notion would be ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by packers stem View Post
                  Legalities I suspect ...... as with her burial
                  Certainly wasn't named after John Kelly
                  The mere fact that she chose to use the name Conway many years after hooking up with Kelly suggests to me that she never particularly wanted to use the name .
                  The real mystery is what changed on her return from Kent .
                  Which given a little thought may not be a mystery at all
                  On one occasion she used Eddowes on another, later occasion Conway 'or Eddowes'. There was an earlier conviction for which I haven't seen the record, but I suspect that was also on the name of Eddowes. As for her use of Kelly only after her return from Kent, how much information do we have about the time between her hooking up with Kelly and going to Kent?

Comment

If JtR was looking for Mary Jane Kelly...

... but Kelly pawned his boots, Eddowes taking them to a broker named Smith, who had premises in Church Street, where she pledged them in the name of ‘Jane Kelly’, giving her address as 6 Dorset Street, - Begg, *Paul. Jack the Ripper: The Facts.

and if this was the first time JtR came in contact with a possible link to her, then Smith would either be JtR, or someone in the shop JtR, or he has been informed to look out for a Mary Jane Kelly, and to inform JtR. After being informed, JtR would do what? Go after Eddowes? No. He would go to 6 Dorset Street and look around for MJK. So pawning alerting JtR to Mary Kelly here doesn't make sense because Eddowes ends up dead.

At Bishopsgate Eddowes gives her name first as 'Nothing' going in and then after as she is going out as ‘Mary Ann Kelly’ and gave her address as 6 Fashion Street.

Now if JtR learned this there and then, the possibility is that this is the woman he has been looking for. So he murders her. He even chalks down the Juwes will not be blamed for 'Nothing'. Strange that word should appear twice in this story.

However later he learns that she is not Mary Kelly at all but Catherine Eddowes. Someone totally else. However, all is not lost. It is very suspicious that she is using those names and later on he finds out that she was carrying a mustard box with pawn tickets for a Jane Kelly at 6 Dorset St. So he has a few places to go on and one of them doesn't exist, Fashion St. So he is off to Dorset St., to go figure out if Mary Jane Kelly really might be there.

Yet what bothers me about this model is that if this person was seeking MJK, then Dorset St., would be where you would go from day#1 if you had any inkling she was an unfortunate.

Another possibility is that Eddowes was known to JtR as well as Mary Jane Kelly and that JtR was seeing Eddowes and getting her to pretend she was Mary Jane Kelly while with him in some sort of sick game he had going to attack her as MJK. Transference I think it is called. The transfer of feelings about one person to another. Upon which they slashed up Eddowes but felt like they were murdering Kelly.

The question arises why not just go murder Kelly?

I think the answer is twofold. First is that they couldn't because she was never alone and wasn't prostituting. The second is that they still loved her somewhat.

Which would make JtR into a jealous ex-type character maybe? Or someone who wanted her but couldn't have her.
                    Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                      On one occasion she used Eddowes on another, later occasion Conway 'or Eddowes'. There was an earlier conviction for which I haven't seen the record, but I suspect that was also on the name of Eddowes. As for her use of Kelly only after her return from Kent, how much information do we have about the time between her hooking up with Kelly and going to Kent?
                      All we have is the word of Wilkinson
                      So any suggestion that she ever used the name Kelly before hand and that either she lied to Wilkinson or he lied under oath would be wildly speculative

Comment

• Originally posted by packers stem View Post
                        All we have is the word of Wilkinson
                        So any suggestion that she ever used the name Kelly before hand and that either she lied to Wilkinson or he lied under oath would be wildly speculative
                        Wilkinson tells us they 'passed as man and wife'. Passed, not lived, which suggests to me they they may well have presented themselves as Mr and Mrs Kelly in a situation where it was unlikely that anyone would contradict them - when they were hopping for instance. That is certainly speculation, but is hardly 'wild'. It's what unmarried cohabiting couples often did at the time.

It seems Kate may well have pretended to be Conway's wife. And why would that have been? An attempt to cling to a shred of respectability I'd imagine. The same reason she might have for passing herself off as Mrs Kelly.

I'm not sure if you've seen the list of names used by/attributed to Alice McKenzie:

Anderson
                        Baxter
                        Bryant
                        Kell
                        Kelly
                        Kelley
                        Kinsey
                        Mackenzie
                        McCormack
                        McKensey
                        McKenzie
                        M'Kenzie
                        Murrell
                        Pits
                        Pitts
                        Riley
                        Taylor

I've cheated by adding McCormack because I've never seen that name used for her in print, but I'm pretty sure that there will have been people who knew her only as Alice, the 'wife' of John McCormack.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                          Wilkinson tells us they 'passed as man and wife'. Passed, not lived, which suggests to me they they may well have presented themselves as Mr and Mrs Kelly in a situation where it was unlikely that anyone would contradict them - when they were hopping for instance. That is certainly speculation, but is hardly 'wild'. It's what unmarried cohabiting couples often did at the time.

It seems Kate may well have pretended to be Conway's wife. And why would that have been? An attempt to cling to a shred of respectability I'd imagine. The same reason she might have for passing herself off as Mrs Kelly.

I'm not sure if you've seen the list of names used by/attributed to Alice McKenzie:

Anderson
                          Baxter
                          Bryant
                          Kell
                          Kelly
                          Kelley
                          Kinsey
                          Mackenzie
                          McCormack
                          McKensey
                          McKenzie
                          M'Kenzie
                          Murrell
                          Pits
                          Pitts
                          Riley
                          Taylor

I've cheated by adding McCormack because I've never seen that name used for her in print, but I'm pretty sure that there will have been people who knew her only as Alice, the 'wife' of John McCormack.
                          We have to remember that despite her being with Kelly she still told Wilkinson her name was Conway ..... bought and paid for ....
                          It was clearly Conway she still clung to on the respectability score
                          If there was one person at all that she would have told her name was Kelly it would have been the lodging house keeper ..... She didn't
                          Probably as Conway was the father of her kids and still the one she wished she was associated with .

So yes , with nothing to back it up it's still wild .
                          Using McKenzie as a comparison doesn't cut it at all , can't tar them all with the same brush

Comment

• Originally posted by packers stem View Post
                            We have to remember that despite her being with Kelly she still told Wilkinson her name was Conway ..... bought and paid for ....
                            It was clearly Conway she still clung to on the respectability score
                            If there was one person at all that she would have told her name was Kelly it would have been the lodging house keeper ..... She didn't
                            Probably as Conway was the father of her kids and still the one she wished she was associated with .

So yes , with nothing to back it up it's still wild .
                            Using McKenzie as a comparison doesn't cut it at all , can't tar them all with the same brush
                            But there is something to back it up: the fact that unmarried couples of the period frequently 'passed themselves off' as married and used the same surname - not to mention the fact that Kate appears to have actually used the name Kelly on at least two occasions.

No doubt she clung to the fiction that she had married the father of her children among those who didn't know otherwise but knew the reality of her relationship with Kelly, but beyond that? Do you really think that around the hopfield camp fire she would have gone out of her way to insist she wasn't married to the man she was sleeping with?
                            Last edited by MrBarnett; 10-05-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Incidentally, the reason for listing Alice Kinsey's names was to highlight those other than Kinsey beginning with K...
                              Last edited by MrBarnett; 10-05-2018, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Sorry if this is a silly question.

If, when arrested, Eddowes had given her name as "Nothing" and then "Mary Ann Kelly", how do we know the woman in question was actually Eddowes?

Did one of the arresting policemen recognise her body?

Comment

Working...
                                X