brave, brave Sir Rob[ert]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    What do you mean by "close to being related"? How could she be "nearly - but not quite - related"?
    Hi Chris,

I realise this is semantic, but we're discussing a 2nd hand account which could have confused "nearly, but not quite, close relatives" with "nearly related"

KR,
    Vic.
    Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
    Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor View Post
      I realise this is semantic, but we're discussing a 2nd hand account which could have confused "nearly, but not quite, close relatives" with "nearly related"
      I think this letter certainly has some puzzling features, but to my mind it seems reasonable to accept the straightforward interpretation of "nearly related" as "closely related", rather than postulating this kind of confusion.

Comment

letter writer

Hello. Whoever the letter writer was, it seems clear that she was:

1. More or less comfortable disturbing a busy lord (suggesting fairly high family)

2. Very concerned with:

A. Family scandal, or

B. Personal danger

3. Seeking a favour

Whether or not it was a Druitt may be less important than the possibility that Sir Robert--feeling sympathy (perhaps at the pre-conscious level)--allowed it to colour, ever so slightly, his judgment with respect to favourite suspect.

LC

Comment

Working...
        X