Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ed Glinert's east end book big revelation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if anyone has even verified if Colin's map is free of any errors yet? Or all the facts are right.

Comment

Interesting article on above

But both Wren and Evelyn had more complex ideas, and it has been suggested that Evelyn’s plan bears a marked resemblance to the Sephiroth or Tree of Life from the mystic Cabala, “the best hieroglyph of the known and unknown universe”. Cabalism was a popular topic among esoteric philosophers of the day, with its mathematical and geometric approach, some of which was assimilated into Freemasonry.

Evelyn had previously written about how a careful arrangement of the environment could “influence the soule and spirits of man, and prepare them for converse with good Angells”. In Cabalism, the angels are the messengers between the physical and metaphysical world.

In the event, practical considerations restricted the wholesale remodell*ing of London to more modest changes. But while they could not demolish streets at will, the architects of London arranged places of worship according to their plan. Wren realigned the axis of St Paul’s so it stood 2,000 cubits (914m / 3,000ft) from Temple Bar to the West and the same distance from St Dunstan-in-the-East in the other direction. Hawksmoor’s St George-in-the-East is 2,000 cubits from the London Wall, St John Horselydown was placed 2,000 cubits from the Monument and Hawksmoor’s St Mary Woolnoth is the same distance from his Christ Church Spitalfields.

The measure of 2,000 cubits is used in the biblical Book of Numbers in its rules for city planning: “[M]easure from without the city on the east side 2,000 cubits.” It had featured in modern studies of sacred geometry since 1662. John Wilkins, vicar of St Lawrence Jewry and the first secretary of the Royal Society had converted it into modern measures, creating the essential yardstick for a New Jerusalem.

Comment

Originally posted by Krinoid View Post
        I wonder if anyone has even verified if Colin's map is free of any errors yet? Or all the facts are right.
        Was just reading SAUCY JACK (Devils Histories) and it mentions to draw any map connecting the sites, a ordnance survey map of the time must be used not GOOGLE MAPS!!

Comment

This could mean the the whole picture is wrong!

Was just reading SAUCY JACK (Devils Histories) and it mentions to draw any map connecting the sites, a ordnance survey map of the time must be used not GOOGLE MAPS!!
          We will never know if Glinert was right after all?
          Mark

Comment

looking for a ordnance survey map of the time

Does anyone have one that this theory could be tested out once and for all correctly?

Comment

And yes,I know "Colin" has posted on the other potato headed website of JTR (with a response and link to this WEBSITE that he hates) and refuses to post here for some reason like cowardice,but he is not God and he could have made an error,and besides I still see two triangles and one was supposed tobe smaller than theother, and a "twisted" star of david as Glinert described. It's interesting that.

Comment

Good GOD!WOW

Sir Charles Warren wrote a book on The Ancient Cubit and Our Weights and Measures (1903), I rest my case, also see the Wiki entry for othjer discrepencies
                Last edited by Krinoid; 09-28-2010, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Warren had had enough and resigned... coincidentally right before the murder of Mary Jane Kelly on 9 November 1888. Every superintendent on the force visited him at home to express their regret. Warren's resignation hindered the investigation. He had given an order that if another murder occurred, nobody was to enter the scene - a strange turn of phrase as the four previous victims had all been found in the open street - until he arrived to direct the investigation. Consequently, when the murder of Kelly was discovered by a rent collector who looked in through the window of her room in a Spitalfields lodging house, the police did not enter the room for some three hours because, unaware of his resignation, they were waiting for Warren to arrive

Comment

Hi Krinoid,

I read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation. Ed Glinert makes the East End an exciting, readable subject. Page after page is filled with eccentric characters, the sights and smells, the quirky, the out of the ordinary.

The ripper part sticks with that format. He recounts Knight, then tosses in his triangles for good measure. I'm not convinced of that. I don't think Ed is either. He said the triangles are "probably a coincidence."

Again, this is a fun book which covers a lot of historical ground. But I can't get worked up over the ripper part.

Roy
                    Sink the Bismark

Comment

So, this is probably of very little import but I'm pretty sure That Nichols was not killed on a Jewish holiday. I think it was the day before. Not that the Selichot are a holiday as much as a superstition, I mean you're kinda supposed to say them throughout the year, but you're supposed to get in 4 before the New Year so there sort of a built in cram session... I'm not sure if thats canon or just how the Rabbi chose to explain it.
                      Anyway in 1888 the Selichot would have been recited on Saturday, September 1st. Assuming they were all Askenazi synagogues. If there were any Sephardic they would have started on the... 8th maybe of august. 8th or 9th.
                      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

from the telegraph

Meanwhile, however, he never loses sight for long of "strangeness and savagery" or "mystical excess". He is particularly impressed by the mystical beliefs supposedly espoused by Wren and others responsible for the rebuilding of London after the Great Fire. I leave it to others to judge how much truth there is in his contention that, in siting his churches, Nicholas Hawksmoor was guided by calculations - measured in cubits - which ultimately derived from the sacred mysteries of the Kabbalah.
                        But at least there can be no doubt that Glinert himself sets great store by what he calls "esoteric measurements". He discerns their influence in the location of Jack the Ripper's killings, and in a crime committed as recently as 1974: the murder of the owner of a tobacco kiosk in Commercial Road called Alfie Cohen. He also argues, just for good measure, that the Ripper killings and the Cohen murder were linked by traces of Masonic ritual.

Comment

Krinoid,

You need some quotation marks in there to indicate you are "borrowing" verbatim from the Telegraph review.

Don.
                          "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Ed Glinert's book was very much written with a wry sense of humour, a refreshing take on what can often be a subject that is treated too dryly (I loved it).

The stuff about the alignments of churches etc. is an obvious nod to psychogeography. The links between the JTR murders and psychogeography were pioneered by writers like Iain Sinclair and Peter Ackroyd.

I don't have the Glinert book to hand and it was a long while ago that I read it, so I can't go back over it to gauge if he is taking the mickey or not. It is quite possible though...
                            Last edited by John Bennett; 10-18-2011, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Has anyone thought to interview him?

Comment

And there is the above quote to deal with as he says"indeed an inspection of the key murder sites and associated locations show that JTR MUST HAVE BEEN ACQUAINTED WITH THE ESOTERIC CODE THAT LAY BEHIND THE CREATION OF POST FIRE EAST LONDON."
                                The "star of david" quote from Glinert can be taken eitheir way as far as that goes but the rest of the cubits business and links to the ripper he appears to be serious about.
                                I don't know why he didn't test the theory before printed as others here on here said it was wrong(septic blue), even the cubits part. The one part I disagree with people on here was when posters on here said no one in the ripper's time was interested in this subject and yet Warren wrote a book on it!

Comment

Working...
                                X