Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think William Herbert Wallace was guilty?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AmericanSherlock View Post
    Hi Graham,

Believe it or not but RWE has changed his tune.

He gives credit to James Murphy for having solved the Wallace case (finding WHW guilty) in his 2011 book "Murder on File." (He also wrote a foreword for John Gannon's book, although that might just have been a money ploy but he doesn't actually endorse what JG wrote it appears, just suggests it's a good book.) In his own recent book, he notes that Parry was "rightly eliminated." as a suspect and says Murphy has made an "Exceedingly powerful case" for the guilt of Wallace. I concur with him.

Awhile back when Jonathan Goodman died in 2008 (RWE himself sadly died last year I believe), there were 2 long obituaries, one was in the Guardian and part of it reads:

"Goodman became convinced that Wallace was indeed not guilty and, together with his friend and fellow crime-writer Richard Whittington-Egan, challenged the man he believed responsible. Although subsequent research has shown that Wallace probably was the killer, The Killing of Julia Wallace (1969) was a great success and Goodman's new career took off."

I assume Goodman's family and friends, perhaps RWE himself contributed to this!
    Hi AS,

as I said previously I'm really far from being up to speed regarding recent and current developments in this weird case, I did when I read his book go along with Goodman's conclusion. However, reading this thread, I'm beginning to wonder. I guess part of the problem is Wallace himself, his rather academic appearance, his varied scholarly interests, and also not to be dismissed is the fact that he lived apparently quite content in his marriage for 18 years. So what happened? With the best will in the world I can't see either of them involved in an extra-marital affair (but then again not impossible), so if Wallace really did kill her, what caused him to commit such a desperate act? Any ideas, anyone?

Graham
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
      I can't help feeling that Wallace was constructing an alibi and that he intended to be out of his house at what he saw as being a crucial time. I've read quite recently a theory that Wallace could have hired a hit-man to dispose of poor Julia...well, you never know. I'm beginning to turn against our Willie just a little bit!
      Hi Graham,

The objection to Wallace having had anyone else to do the deed is the very fact that he wouldn't have needed to construct a false alibi, with the whole convoluted Qualtrough business. He could simply have made sure he was well away from home for the duration, and seen by people who knew him.

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
        Hi Graham,

The objection to Wallace having had anyone else to do the deed is the very fact that he wouldn't have needed to construct a false alibi, with the whole convoluted Qualtrough business. He could simply have made sure he was well away from home for the duration, and seen by people who knew him.

Love,

Caz
        X
        Hi Caz,

yep, quite so, but in concocting a business reason for being out of the house at a rather non-business time, maybe he felt that would be slightly more convincing than just telling Julia he was nipping down the road to see so-and-so. I'm only speculating, any way.

Bye,

Graham
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by AmericanSherlock View Post
          For sure.

All the following indicate a planned kill :

1. Julia struck from behind with no sign of struggle whatsoever, no defensive wounds, nothing underneath Julia's fingernails etc.

2. Controlled crime scene, especially blood indicating pre planning.

3. Mackintosh presence indicating pre-planning.

4. Evidence of a poorly staged robbery, similar to many domestic homicides. Money and jewelry that could be taken wasn't. Cash box was replaced suggesting force of habit. Blunt force trauma to head/face causing death extremely common in domestic homicides, extremely uncommon otherwise.
          I’d also add the Qualtrough phone call to those four AS. But it could be argued I suppose that the call could only have been evidence of a planned robbery?
          Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 12-22-2017, 09:10 AM.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Hi Caz,

yep, quite so, but in concocting a business reason for being out of the house at a rather non-business time, maybe he felt that would be slightly more convincing than just telling Julia he was nipping down the road to see so-and-so. I'm only speculating, any way.

Bye,

Graham
            Hi Graham,

He could have just ‘arranged’ for it to happen while he was at the chess club. It could then have been said that someone had simply learned of Wallace’s hobby and saw their chance.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
              Hi Graham,

He could have just ‘arranged’ for it to happen while he was at the chess club. It could then have been said that someone had simply learned of Wallace’s hobby and saw their chance.
              Hi HS,

I genuinely and honestly doubt if WW employed an early 1930's equivalent of Jack 'The Hat' McVitie, but if he had, then why didn't The Hat strike on the night Wallace was at the chess club? Why concoct a weird alibi for the next evening? Was it because The Hat was elsewhere doing another hit...?

Graham

Comment

Hi HS,

I genuinely and honestly doubt if WW employed an early 1930's equivalent of Jack 'The Hat' McVitie, but if he had, then why didn't The Hat strike on the night Wallace was at the chess club? Why concoct a weird alibi for the next evening? Was it because The Hat was elsewhere doing another hit...?

Graham
                Hi Graham,

It’s certainly difficult to see how Wallace could have persuaded anyone (Parry included) to be in on a plan. Especially a plan that involves Mr X (or indeed Parry) risking the gallows.
                Anyone planning to kill Julia (and steal cash) could have done it either when Wallace went on his morning round, when Wallace went on his afternoon round or while he was at the chess club. The Qualtrough phone call smacks of an ‘alibi’ to me
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi Graham,

It’s certainly difficult to see how Wallace could have persuaded anyone (Parry included) to be in on a plan. Especially a plan that involves Mr X (or indeed Parry) risking the gallows.
                  Anyone planning to kill Julia (and steal cash) could have done it either when Wallace went on his morning round, when Wallace went on his afternoon round or while he was at the chess club. The Qualtrough phone call smacks of an ‘alibi’ to me
                  Absolutely. Either the call was Wallace himself as part of a murder plot or a prank IMO. There is no use for the call otherwise; there is nothing it could achieve that could not be acquired thru easier and more reliable means.

Comment

• Hi HS and AS,

I think you can tell by the tone of my previous post that I don't really give much credence to WW hiring a hit man....

.....so do you thing that the phone call was a prank and completely coincidental?

Graham

Comment

• Hi Graham,

I personally don’t give much credence to the idea of a prank call. I just can’t see it myself. And like you I don’t see Wallace turning Don Corleone and hiring a hit man. It’s not impossible of course that he might have persuaded Parry to do the job, he needed cash, but there’s nothing to suggest any payment being made. There’s also the risk of Parry being arrested and spilling the beans. It’s also a big step from petty theft/embezzlement to a brutal murder of someone that he knew and might even have been fond of.
                      I’m certain that the call was either to get Wallace away from the scene (despite there being many other opportunities) or else it was an alibi for Wallace.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• A Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to all on the Wallace thread.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi Caz,

Bye,

Graham
                          Hi Graham,

But in the scenario whereby someone else was going to do the actual deed for Wallace, it wouldn't have mattered what he told Julia as long as he was provably elsewhere for the duration. That's all I meant.

The whole Qualtrough business shone the spotlight on Wallace in a thoroughly negative and unnecessary manner if he wasn't acting alone in bumping off the missus. If he was acting alone, he had to make the best of an imperfect alibi job - which the ruse undoubtedly proved for him, or he would never have been charged in the first place.

It's the same if Parry acted alone or with someone else. By rights Wallace should have had a perfect alibi if totally innocent. In his shoes I'd have set off a fair bit earlier for the 7.30 appointment with a complete stranger at an unfamiliar address and been well on my way, asking around for directions on the tram, by the time the milk boy eventually showed up.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          Last edited by caz; 12-29-2017, 07:13 AM.
                          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                            Hi Graham,

But in the scenario whereby someone else was going to do the actual deed for Wallace, it wouldn't have mattered what he told Julia as long as he was provably elsewhere for the duration. That's all I meant.

The whole Qualtrough business shone the spotlight on Wallace in a thoroughly negative and unnecessary manner if he wasn't acting alone in bumping off the missus. If he was acting alone, he had to make the best of an imperfect alibi job - which the ruse undoubtedly proved for him, or he would never have been charged in the first place.

It's the same if Parry acted alone or with someone else. By rights Wallace should have had a perfect alibi if totally innocent. In his shoes I'd have set off a fair bit earlier for the 7.30 appointment with a complete stranger at an unfamiliar address and been well on my way, asking around for directions on the tram, by the time the milk boy eventually showed up.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            Hi Caz,

But Wallace had little choice as regards the time he left on account of his last regular appointment. Thus, he finished this last call at around 5:55-this was verified by the customer-arriving home at about 6:05. This then allowed him a relatively brief period-40 minutes according to him-with which to finish a light tea, have a wash, change his collar, and to gather his papers for the Qualtrough call.

Maybe this quick turnaround was one of the reasons why he initially equivocated about whether he would visit Qualtrough at all.
                            Last edited by John G; 12-29-2017, 11:38 PM.

Comment

A Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to all on the Wallace thread.
                              Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too, Herlock. Although I'm a bit late for the Merry Christmas, I'm afraid! Mind you, as it's my birthday today I shall be enjoying an extended New Year celebration!
                              Last edited by John G; 12-29-2017, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                                Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too, Herlock. Although I'm a bit late for the Merry Christmas, I'm afraid! Mind you, as it's my birthday today I shall be enjoying an extended New Year celebration!
                                Happy Birthday John!

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and wishing you a Happy New Year

I think the timeline of events is very significant. I'm trying to say this without sounding prejudiced to my conclusion; If Wallace was guilty, then the timing lines up exactly with what you would expect. At least from my POV, he would not be able to act until the milk boy had come and left and then he would have to spring into action right away.

Whether you think this is even possible is another question we've debated in the past as regards to the limited time he would have, being bloodfree, and the weapon disposal. But I think it's a bit odd that the time line fits that scenario, when if he left literally just a few minutes earlier, he would be totally in the clear.

And as CAZ points out, one could be forgiven for expecting that he would do so.

Therefore it becomes important to consider whether it is reasonable that he left when he did, changed collar, had tea etc. It strikes me if he was that casual about heading on business to an unfamiliar address across town, it is odd he went all.

His going on a lousy winter's evening when his wife was sick with cold, on a day he made 400 calls shows that for some reason he found it very important to go. He could be forgiven for not going at all and blowing Qualtrough off or assuming it was a prank. In his shoes, I probably would have done so. Instead, he decides to go, showcasing how critical this prospective client was to him. One could argue that he was sufficiently enticed by the chance at a commission or "professional recognition", but then why was he so casual with the timing, arriving in the neighborhood right before 7:30 without knowing precisely where he was going? This also, to my mind, makes it more surprising that he did not consult a map beforehand for such a crucial business venture.

Comment

Working...
                                X