The Jack the Ripper Location Photographs: Dutfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jack the Ripper Location Photographs: Dutfield

I just purchased a book from www.abe.com. It is entitled: The Jack the Ripper Location Photographs: Dutfield I have not seen this one before, but I cannot wait to get it. Below is the description.

Ripper Murders From Old Photographs is not a standard retelling of the story of the Whitechapel Murders but the tale of historically important photographs connected to the case, discovered by the author in 2007. Half of the book deals with The Whitby Collection. This is a surviving series of 27 images taken by the amateur criminologist John Gordon Whitby in 1961. They show many of the murder locations and related streets as they looked at that time. The book will not only tell the known facts about the photographer, but will - for the first time - reproduce every one of the photographs, along with modern comparison shots in colour. The second half of the book deals with an image that some have described as the most important photographic discovery in the Jack the Ripper case for quarter of a century. Before the discovery of a unique image purchased on eBay for less than $5, no photographic image was known to exist of the murder location of supposed Ripper victim Elizabeth Stride.

Joseph

It's a great book, Joseph. The author used to post extensively here, but I haven't seen him on here in some months. I'm certain you'll enjoy the photographs as well as Philip's narrative of discovery.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Yes, I'll second that--it's a fascinating dual-story, both Philip's and the photographer's. And I think I must have spent hours peering at 'that' photo I'm sure you'll enjoy it, Joseph.
      best,

claire

Comment

Working...
      X