Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My library

Hi all,

I'm reviewing my Ripper library, as I've got through pretty much all the books I have on the subject. With birthdays approaching, now is a prime time to be looking for more delights to read. So I'm here hoping for a few recommendations.

To date I have read (in no particular order other than how I wrote them down):

JtR a 21st century Investigation - Marriott
    JtR The simple truth - Paley
    The Complete JtR - Rumbelow
    The Victims of JtR - Shelden
    The complete history of JtR - Sugden
    JtR Quest for a killer - Trow
    The secret of prisoner 1167 - Tully
    Scotland Yard investigates - Evans/Skinner
    The Casebook - R Jones
    JtR the facts - Begg
    The London of JtR Now & then - Clack/Hutchinson
    Portrait of a killer - Cornwell (I know, I know... )
    JtR the final chapter - Feldman
    The JtR location photographs - Hutchinson
    JtR the final solution - Knight
    JtR the whitechapel murderer - Lynch
    The trial of JtR, The case of william bury - Macphearson

I'm interested in non-fiction books. A couple I am interested in is Mclaughlins the first JtR victim photographs (if a 2nd edition is published). I am also interested in Bob Hintons book, and Karyo Magellans By ears and eyes.

However the idea was to give you an overview of where I am, & what has interested me thus far. I'm keen to recieve suggestions as to where to develop my knowledge? Which books/authors would you suggest would interest me?

Happy to recieve suspect based, individual based or general suggestions. All answers gratefully recieved!

Thanks all in optimism!

That's a pretty comprehensive list you've got there, Lem. Just off the top of my head, you might also like:

The Mammoth Book of JtR - Jakubowski & Braund
    The Man Who Hunted JtR, rev. ed. - Connell & Evans
    Jack the Ripper in Fact and Fiction, rev. ed. - Odell
    The Worst Street in London - Rule

That'll keep you going for a while.

Comment

Amazingly you don't seem to have the top two books, the Ultimate and the A-Z
      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Quite right. LJ doesn't seem to have those and they are both, of course, invaluable. Funny how the mind works, isn't it. It's pouring rain where I am so I immediately thought of books to curl up with on a wet afternoon, not the standard research sources. I've thought of three other good ones, too:

Will the Real Mary Kelly...? - Scott
        The Prince, His Tutor and the Ripper - McDonald
        Prince of Quacks - Riordan

Comment

Although it's not directly related to JTR, I would strongly recommend that anybody who has an interest in the life and times of people in lower class London in the Victorian era get hold of a copy of "London Labour and the London Poor" by Henry Mayhew. Absolutely fascinating, eye-opening stuff.

For JTR specifically.....maybe "The Lodger" by Evans & Gainey?

Cheers,
          Adam.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions thus far!

I actually do have both The Lodger, & also The Ultimate sourcebook already (just haven't read them yet). In addition, I also forgot to include Odells Summing Up & Verdict.

I shall begin researching suggestiions made, in the meantime, keep them coming folks!

Comment

Working...
            X