Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Trevor Marriott 1 minute ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - by caz 2 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - by caz 26 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 42 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Observer 44 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (28 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (26 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (24 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (12 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (2 posts)
Emma Smith: The Tell-Tale Blade - Thoughts on the Knives Used on Martha Tabram - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Catherine Eddowes

Old 09-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Chief Inspector

Default The Curse

The murder of Catherine Eddowes, being part of the 'double event' with the subsequent Ripper letters and the kidney sent, was the virtual height of the big series of events that grabbed the attention of London and the world. The crime scene became very famous too, and a sensational story The Curse Upon Mitre Square was written at the time, which tied into the history of the square as the former Holy Trinity Priory, Aldgate.

Thinking about officer Amos Simpson, who was based in N Division (Islington) of the Metropolitan Police, not the City of London, where Mitre Square is, I can see how a family story may have developed. He brought home an item, and it became, in the telling the "Eddowes Shawl." This is not something officer Simpson told his mates on the force, or the public, but it was a family tradition. Not an unreasonable idea in the scheme of human history.

Because there really is no explanation for Simpson being there, nor this item having any connection to Catherine Eddowes, much less any suspect at all. The "shawl' and its story is an example of human nature at work, in the telling of a family story set against these famous events. An item which one day appeared in a shop.

Roy

Last edited by Roy Corduroy : 09-10-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
The murder of Catherine Eddowes, being part of the 'double event' with the subsequent Ripper letters and the kidney sent, was the virtual height of the big series of events that grabbed the attention of London and the world. The crime scene became very famous too, and a sensational story The Curse of Mitre Square was written at the time, which tied into the history of the square as the former Holy Trinity Priory, Aldgate.

Thinking about officer Amos Simpson, who was based in N Division (Islington) of the Metropolitan Police, not the City of London, where Mitre Square is, I can see how a family story may have developed. He brought home an item, and it became, in the telling the "Eddowes Shawl." This is not something officer Simpson told his mates on the force, or the public, but it was a family tradition. Not an unreasonable idea in the scheme of human history.

Because there really is no explanation for Simpson being there, nor this item having any connection to Catherine Eddowes, much less any suspect at all. The "shawl' and its story is an example of human nature at work, in the telling of a family story set against these famous events. An item which one day appeared in a shop.

Roy
G'day Roy

Not unreasonable.

I also suggested at one stage that at some time he said to someone in the family something like:

"That Table Runner [shawl] is the same [pattern] as the dress Jack's victim was wearing".

It's not hard to see how over a couple of tellings could be distorted.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:33 AM
Chief Inspector

Default my family

Hi ,my family on my dad's side all originate from the east end my dad was born in the 1930s right next door to Whitechapel his grandparents lived in Whitechapel during the autumn of terror .It amazes me the amount of my descendents who saw a gentleman wearing a cloak a top hat and carrying a Gladstone bag (but wasn't carrying a shawl or table runner)every night when there was a murder but didn't think to mention untill years later.Every one who lived or worked in the east end at the time had a Jack the ripper story and that's what the vast majority of them are stories some might be true or they might have been copied from other people's stories
Old 09-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Sergeant

Agree.There must probably be hundreds of stories that came down from people who lived in
whitechapel at that time, police or merchant or shopkeeper or porters etc.
being no different from one another,and one would believe in every story told without
corroboration and record of any kind? Let's also not forget there were lots of
false witnesses and liars during that killing period.Even let's say Hutchinson,he said
he saw the Astrakhan man,and that's it it's true?
The only way it can be further gauged is if the story bearer was/is interviewed
and maybe sensed if he is/was telling the truth and maybe further investigate other
things he had to say. Obviously Amos is dead and it won't happen. The story of Edward's
shawl is basically dead on arrival.

About the mtDNA it covers thousands of people. If the test were done for several people
from several families then it would make may you wonder. If not not.
It could have came from families who did not know each other. It's an approximation and
could be innacurate.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Detective

You can argue that the double event was the "height" of the Ripper scare. But it's also very important to remember that at the time, Eddowes was not considered the 4th in a series, she was considered the 6th. The Nichols, and even moreso the Chapman murder, sent London into a full on panic. Nichols was not considered the first dead prostitute, she was considered the 3rd after Smith and Tabram. Only later were Smith and Tabram excluded from the list of canonical victims. What I am meaning, at the time of Eddowes murder, London was already in a panic.

What you were saying could very well ring true. At the same time, if he were going to make up a story for the fabric, he would've had no more reason to say it came from Eddowes as to say it came from Chapman or Kelly. In fact, considering that Kelly was killed in her own private lodging, it actually could be seen as MORE BELIEVABLE to say he got the fabric from Kelly's room.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
The murder of Catherine Eddowes, being part of the 'double event' with the subsequent Ripper letters and the kidney sent, was the virtual height of the big series of events that grabbed the attention of London and the world. The crime scene became very famous too, and a sensational story The Curse Upon Mitre Square was written at the time, which tied into the history of the square as the former Holy Trinity Priory, Aldgate.

Roy
I'm not familiar with the area, but I read somewhere that Mitre Square borders the division where Simpson was affected.

Is there any truth in those allegations?
Old 09-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
I'm not familiar with the area, but I read somewhere that Mitre Square borders the division where Simpson was affected.

Simple answer:No unless you call something close to a mile away "bordering".

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
Name:  N.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  105.1 KB

SirJohn, Mitre Square is at the star, within the City of London. Metropolitan Police Division N was Amos Simpson's posting. The other Whitechapel murders were in H.

N Division extended miles northward. Here is the entire map (click) courtesy of Colin Roberts.

Roy
Old 09-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Attachment 16224

SirJohn, Mitre Square is at the star, within the City of London. Metropolitan Police Division N was Amos Simpson's posting. The other Whitechapel murders were in H.

N Division extended miles northward. Here is the entire map (click) courtesy of Colin Roberts.

Roy
Thanks for the Map Roy.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Chief Inspector

Default Pash´s Reliable Boots

Just found a photograph of Pash´s in Maidstone where Kate and Kelly bought boots and possibly Kate´s jacket. I have written to them to ask permission to publish it as it is not possible to buy a copy just now. Fingers crossed. Unless it has already been put up by someone.

Best wishes
C4