Dutfield's Yard Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutfield's Yard Video

I've completed a first version 3D walk-around of Dutfield's Yard. I've put it on youtube and I'd like feedback on the layout of the cottages /toilets/design etc. The voice over is a bit crap but I wanted to show how the final version will look once I've got everything satisfactory. The intention is to create a piece of 'film' that depicts a home movie of someone walking around the real yard.

Once I get feedback I can continue to improve the accuracy of the layout and then create a final realistic video.

Here's the link:

YouTube Dutfield's Yard Ver1

Hope you like.
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Good stuff there, Richardh - very enlightening. My overall feeling is that I´m a bit amazed about the size of the yard. It looks a lot smaller when peaking into the year from the outside, so I was expecting a somewhat more crammed space. It was quite useful to have it laid out in this clear manner.

All the best,
    Fisherman

Comment

body

Hello Richard. Very nice work.

Wonder if a mock up of Liz's body, in the correct position, would be helpful?

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

Fisherman, I too was surprised at the size of the yard. I did use the Goad Fire insurance plans to map out the positions of everything seen in the vid. Also, I was surprised at the width of Berner Street. If I had narrowed the yard to depict what I (we) feel was the right size for the yard then it would certainly not have matched the goad plans. the smoothness of the yard floor and the general lack of clutter and yard related furniture might also make the yard look wider.

I haven't done round the corner yet (the stables and the rear of the workingman's club) because I want to get the first part right before moving on.

I also used Hutchinson's Dutfield's Yard photo as a guide. If you pause the vid when I'm standing at the entrance to the yard (about 25 seconds into vid) you can see the Commercial Road Goods Depot and Warehouses in the back ground. I placed them (the models) on the exact spot shown in Goad's Plans and they matched the Hutchinson photo exactly.

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
        Good stuff there, Richardh - very enlightening. My overall feeling is that I´m a bit amazed about the size of the yard. It looks a lot smaller when peaking into the year from the outside, so I was expecting a somewhat more crammed space. It was quite useful to have it laid out in this clear manner.

All the best,
        Fisherman

Comment

Richard,

Very well done. This is so helpful. What would you say the dimensions of the yard were? I thought of it as about 50 yards by 12 ish, not including the privy passage. But I haven't looked at the goad maps closely and don't remember actual measurements in them. Your video make it look a not longer than I had thought, but not much really.

Mike
          huh?

Comment

Thank you
            I'm checking measurements and dimensions and I'm tweaking the width of the yard to narrow it the the other side of the goad map lines. Because we've not got exact data it's hard to work things out. For instance moving a model from one side of a goad map-line to the other means about 2 feet in real terms. Also, the height of the buildings can make such a lot of difference to the interpretation of the dimensions.

I think I can narrow the yard to satisfy our mind's eye and still be in agreement with goad.

What I could do with is a good digital copy of Hutchinson's Dutfield's Yard photo but Phil has not replied to my email requests.

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
            Richard,

Very well done. This is so helpful. What would you say the dimensions of the yard were? I thought of it as about 50 yards by 12 ish, not including the privy passage. But I haven't looked at the goad maps closely and don't remember actual measurements in them. Your video make it look a not longer than I had thought, but not much really.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
              I've completed a first version 3D walk-around of Dutfield's Yard.
              Hope you like.
              Very nice richard - I really like the texturing. What is the polygon count?

Did I run across you on the Unity forums? A model of Miller's court?

cheers, gryff

Comment

You tube.

Really good found it so revealing.

Only request is could you do one for every murder site of the canonical five.

Comment

This was very helpful. I was amazed at how wrong my mind's vision of the murder scene was!

Comment

Excellent work!

While there was no direct escape route, you can see how the murderer could have hide for a little while and just come out after several bystanders had shown up, and quietly leave. Possibly...
                    Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Very nice Richard! You did a good job. I think being able to see the location like this really opens up the minds eye.

You wouldn't by chance have any other murder sites would you?

Carl

Comment

Great job Richard and very helpful...my only minor criticism might be the quality of the yard surface back in 1888...but thanks anyway...as others have said, it's pretty extensive isn't it...wonder if it'd feel much more confined in the dark?

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
                          I've completed a first version 3D walk-around of Dutfield's Yard. I've put it on youtube and I'd like feedback on the layout of the cottages /toilets/design etc. The voice over is a bit crap but I wanted to show how the final version will look once I've got everything satisfactory. The intention is to create a piece of 'film' that depicts a home movie of someone walking around the real yard.

Once I get feedback I can continue to improve the accuracy of the layout and then create a final realistic video.

Here's the link:

YouTube Dutfield's Yard Ver1

Hope you like.
                          Hello, Richard.
                          Full compliments to you for this work.
                          I do a bit of 3d work myself but nothing like this. From your earlier posts I understand you only started on this about 3 weeks ago.
                          The modeling and texture on this dutfields yard video look fantastic.
                          I see on your blog you have some interior shots in colour.
                          This isn't a criticism, rather a compliment in a way - would you be able to do all the work you've done so far in colour?
                          I realise there may be aesthetic reasons for desaturating and adding grain, as it gives it the look of a movie/photograph taken at the time. I feel colour could add some real insight.
                          Anyway, keep up the good work and thank you.
                          Caligo.
                          https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/flag_uk.gif "I know why the sun never sets on the British Empire: God wouldn't trust an Englishman in the dark."

Comment

Thank you for the kind comments and encouragment.

I have managed to narrow the yard and still maintain a match with goad's maps - I have to admit that I was a bit off with the positioning of the buildings on the right hand side. Also I have adjusted the height of the buildings.

Question:
                            Are you happy with the doors/windows configurations of the left & right yard buildings?
                            Is the grating in the right place? (it is according to Hutchinson's Dutfield's yard photo of 1909).
                            What about the toilet block?
                            Should the vids be silent or 'talkies'?
                            Should the vids be B/W and scratched or clean and coloured (or both)?

I'll get to work on ver2 which will improve the textures and add proper doors and windows in place of the (temporary) shutters.

And yes, once I've finished on Dutfield's Yard I will start on the next location. I think I'll not revisit Miller's Court yet as I've done lots on that location already. Maybe Hanbury? what do you think?

Comment

Great work Richard.

Now, this is a big ask : is it possible for you to show one of the doors ajar in the way it would be if someone were hiding behind it, allowing for the width of the pony and cart?

Comment

Working...
                              X