Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Abby Normal 33 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Abby Normal 54 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere was Jack the Ripper - by caz 1 hour and 10 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 26 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by FrankO 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by caz 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (17 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (14 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - (13 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere was Jack the Ripper - (7 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Sergeant Thick's Sketchy Connections? - (6 posts)
Rippercast: Colin Wilson: Jack the Ripper Conference in Ipswich, 1996 - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Deeming, Frederick

Old 01-29-2015, 06:02 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
What I hace a little trouble with is reconciling "I still feel the likeliest explanation is simply that Farson's notes referred to "Deeming" and that he misread them as "Drewery"." with "And I think he remained convinced that Knowles's letter had referred to Druitt.".

But perhaps I am misunderstanding you.
I just think he convinced himself that the letter had referred to Druitt, but in reality it had referred to Deeming, and he just couldn't read his own handwriting.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:20 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I just think he convinced himself that the letter had referred to Druitt, but in reality it had referred to Deeming, and he just couldn't read his own handwriting.

G'day Chris

Thanks for clarrifying that.

Mmmmm not being able to read your own handwriting he must be related to me.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
G'day Chris

Thanks for clarrifying that.

Mmmmm not being able to read your own handwriting he must be related to me.
Bit of a side issue GUT but you might be amused to think about it.

In his last series of Sherlock Holmes short stories, "The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes", Sir Arthur Conan Doyle included "The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone". It's about the stealing of a crown jewel by one "Count Negretto Sylvius".

Most critics of Doyle agree that "The Mazarin Stone" is not a good Holmes story, but it is interesting. Instead of the 57 told by Watson, or the 2 told by Holmes, it is the only one written in third person - we don't know who is telling it. Watson only pops at the start, and it repeats (in it's plot) a variation on what was used in a better short story from the collection "The Return of Sherlock Holmes" called "The Adventure of the Empty House". The variation deals with a bust in the "Empty House" and here with a wax statue of Holmes.

The reason for the similarity is that Doyle had written, and produced, a one act Holmes play, "The Crown Diamond" in 1921. It had a similar plot to "The Mazarin Stone" but the villain's name was different. It was "Colonel Sebastian Moran", who is the villain in "The Adventure of the Empty House".

Colonel Moran is the right hand man of Professor Moriarty, and in "The Empty House" he tries to kill Holmes with an air rifle (concealed in his walking stick) from across the street from 221 B Baker Street (where Holmes resides). But he's caught after he fires at what he thinks is Holmes' head, but is actually a bust being moved carefully to look like a human's shadow.

When Moran is arrested, Holmes explains to Insp. Lestrade that Moran is the murderer of a young socialite named "the Honorable Ronald Adair", who was killed in an apparently impregnable room with a similar bullet to the air rifle Moran used here. Adair's father, Watson tells us in "the Empty House" is the Earl of Maynooth, a former governor to one of the Australian colonies.

In 'The Mazarin Stone", Sylvius is taunted at one point for threatening Holmes, and is reminded that "Col. Sebastian Moran" has been known to say the same thing from time to time. But Holmes mentions that his own type of theatricality has been noted by opponents, "What the stage lost the law gained," Old Baron Dowson told me [Holmes says] the night before he was hanged!"

Given the odd, convoluted way Conan Doyle's mind absorbed information and redirected or mixed it in his stories, I have often wondered that since Sylvius and Moran were two villains playing the same role in two pieces of fiction about a jewel robbery, and since Moran (in his first appearance in a story) murdered the son of a former governor of an Australian (pre-1900) colony, the reference in the "Mazarin Stone" to old Baron Dowson was somehow suggested by vague memories of that "Baron Swanson" alias used by Deeming in the early 1890s ("The Adventure of the Empty House" is dated in April 1894, two years after Deeming's execution). To compound such a possibility, Deeming was executed at the gaol on Swanson Street in Melbourne.

Hope this was amusing to follow. Don't know how real this all is, but it is amusing.

Jeff
Old 02-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Commisioner

Rhanks for that Jeff.

Just one small correction Old Melbourne Gaol where both Deeming and Ned Kelly handed was in Russell Street not Swanston street. There were 133 hangings there in it's time in operation.

He lived in Swanston Street at one stage.

But an interesting thought all the same, and Doyle did appear to draw inspiration from things in real life, as I think do most authors.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Last edited by GUT : 02-10-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:03 PM
Commisioner

As a slight aside, there have been investigations into a skull with some claiming it was Deeming's some Kelly's, boy the death masks are similar.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
As a slight aside, there have been investigations into a skull with some claiming it was Deeming's some Kelly's, boy the death masks are similar.
Judging from Ned's photos, their faces fortunately weren't similar. Despite his bloodstained record I have some admiration for Ned with his suit of armor at that last battle. I have absolutely no admiration for Deeming - and I suspect neither would have Ned.

Jeff
Old 02-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
Judging from Ned's photos, their faces fortunately weren't similar. Despite his bloodstained record I have some admiration for Ned with his suit of armor at that last battle. I have absolutely no admiration for Deeming - and I suspect neither would have Ned.

Jeff
Ned in spite of all his faults was always a ladies man, in fact it appears that a major factor in his turning to crime was the way his mum was treated, I suspect he would have kicked Deeming's butt.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:11 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Ned in spite of all his faults was always a ladies man, in fact it appears that a major factor in his turning to crime was the way his mum was treated, I suspect he would have kicked Deeming's butt.
Ned kicking Deeming's butt would have been the least of it. No where in Ned's record (and that of his gang) did they mistreat (and certainly not kill) any kids or babies. Deeming would have been lucky if Ned had just castrated him.

Jeff
Old 02-10-2015, 07:16 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
Ned kicking Deeming's butt would have been the least of it. No where in Ned's record (and that of his gang) did they mistreat (and certainly not kill) any kids or babies. Deeming would have been lucky if Ned had just castrated him.

Jeff
I get confused sometimes when trying to keep things clean for some other forums, but that's pretty close and after castrating him either made him eat them or jammed them up his ...

Having said that I suspect that there would have been numerous others in gaol with fred that would have liked 10 minutes in his cell with him. Or in the exercise yard with no "screws" around.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:36 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
I get confused sometimes when trying to keep things clean for some other forums, but that's pretty close and after castrating him either made him eat them or jammed them up his ...

Having said that I suspect that there would have been numerous others in gaol with fred that would have liked 10 minutes in his cell with him. Or in the exercise yard with no "screws" around.
From my reading up on "Mad Fred", he made a big production of his detestation of the citizens in Melbourne, and how he thought they were the ugliest people in the world. I am certain if the judge had ordered that Deeming be freed into the local mob the latter would have quickly gotten white hair just before the "uglies" got their hands on him.

He was never brave. In his miserable career he killed (that we know of) two women who mistakenly married him, and four children, one of whom was a baby. Even in the ascribed killings like the one in a South African mining area, the victim was shot from behind. Let's face it, Ned Kelly had more grit than this creep.

Jeff