No announcement yet.

Liz Stride Photo clean up,,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all, and thanks for the clarification Hunter!
    I knew there were teeth missing and I suppose my mind made a link between that and the lower lip. You know what they say about assumptions...

I never heard her called Hippy Lip Anne though..charming!

Ive seen that Anne chapman pic. It does look like her face is bulging on one side, doesn't it, curius4. It doesn't look natural though, wonder is its strange re touching. Ill have a look.

Im currently looking at Mary kelly's Ghastly pic. Have already cleaned it up a lot...

Comment

Brilliant work Aberlime!

In your opinion is that a few blonde streaks in her hair? Bits of her hair is lighter than the rest, just curious.

Comment

Wow! That is such a transformation and well done on it! She really looks more like a real person now and the work to tidy up the photograph is simply stunning! I cannot wait to see your work on the other victims and how that turns out.

I never knew she was called 'hippy Lip Anne' either, which makes sense because I was wondering about her lower lip. Perhaps it was also enhanced due to the effects of strangulation, if this is what happened to her. (I am pretty sure she was a Ripper victim and that perhaps it was Schwartz who disturbed the killer, which would seem to be more logical). That and the eyes - it seems that some rather interesting clues have emerged from this and I congratulate you!

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post

Her peculiarly prominent bottom lip was evidently a natural feature for her. One of her nicknames was 'Hippy Lip Annie'.
          Sometime people who habitually chew their lower lip get this type of deformity. They mash the tissue in their lip causing it to lose firmness and structure.

Which is really neither here nor there, it just made me picture her as a fretful child.
          The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

A few predecessors have tried to clean up these photos in the past but yours is unpleasantly good. It's quite distrubing it is to see a very humanised Elisabeth Stride after years of looking at comfortably bad quality pictures.
            If you'll allow a little but of pickyness, the eyebrows look a little too stylised.
            Congratulations!
            dustymiller
            aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
              Sometime people who habitually chew their lower lip get this type of deformity. They mash the tissue in their lip causing it to lose firmness and structure.

Which is really neither here nor there, it just made me picture her as a fretful child.
              Ah, that makes sense now. Her lower lip does look like it's lost its shape and it is unlikely to be genetic or the effects would show on the upper lip too I believe, which it doesn't.

Thanks for that!

Comment

Yes. the eyebrows are a judgement call. If you look at the eyebrow of the right, it is exactly the same shape on both pictures, the one on the left looks a little indistinct and blown out by the light perhaps. Since most eyebrows are very similar, especially so on women, I decided to tidy it up t match the one on the right. The result looked natural to me and made sense. Ive over-laid the original picture with the cleaned up one and faded back and forth between the two, and im satisfied that it seems natural from what I could see. Was surprised though about how much more pretty she must have been than I had believed...

Comment

This is quite honestly a cracking job...you can see from this why she was still appealing...you can see from this she was a real person with real feelings (something I think is all too often lost when she is simply labelled a lying whore)...Poor old Liz...not much of a life was it?
                  Last edited by Cogidubnus; 03-05-2012, 04:36 AM. Reason: insertion of closed bracket

Comment

Lividity?

Hi Aberlime. Welcome to Casebook!

Thank you for your work on Liz's photo. The first thing that I noticed was that the extent of her terrible neck wound becomes more visible at the far left-hand side of her neck, showing just how wide the slash was.

One thing I've often wondered is why the lower half of Liz's face (from the cheeks down) appears to be a different color, rather "brighter" or "redder" than the upper portion... Is that what's referred to as lividity?

Mosby's Medical Dictionary defines Lividity as "a tissue condition of being red or blue because of venous congestion, as in a contusion".

But one would think there would be very little blood apparent in the tissues of her face, given that she died of a slashed throat leading to massive hemorrhaging.

Can anybody shed any more light on the apparently discolored area of her face?

Thanks and best regards,
                    Archaic

Comment

The Discoloured Area

Originally posted by Archaic View Post

Mosby's Medical Dictionary defines Lividity as "a tissue condition of being red or blue because of venous congestion, as in a contusion".

But one would think there would be very little blood apparent in the tissues of her face, given that she died of a slashed throat leading to massive hemorrhaging.

Can anybody shed any more light on the apparently discolored area of her face?

Thanks and best regards,
                      Archaic
                      I'm by no means medically qualified, but I have seen many dead bodies over the years. Once the heart stops beating the blood drains to, and settles in, the lowest parts of the body, so I don't think that can apply. I confess that I hadn't really noticed the different colour to the lower part of Liz Stride's face. Purely on a speculative basis, is it possible that she had an extensive strawberry mark? I've never heard that she did, but would it necessarily be remarked upon?

Regards, Bridewell
                      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Interesting thought...I'd always supposed it was down to an inadequate wiping off of the bloodstains...

Dave

Comment

Color In Lower Half of Liz's Face?

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                          I'm by no means medically qualified, but I have seen many dead bodies over the years. Once the heart stops beating the blood drains to, and settles in, the lowest parts of the body, so I don't think that can apply. I confess that I hadn't really noticed the different colour to the lower part of Liz Stride's face. Purely on a speculative basis, is it possible that she had an extensive strawberry mark? I've never heard that she did, but would it necessarily be remarked upon?

Regards, Bridewell
                          Yeah, I'm baffled... Liz wasn't found lying on her face, and with her throat cut so savagely one would expect her face to be incredibly pale and colorless.

If it's traces of blood smeared on her face, that would seem to indicate extremely sloppy handling of her corpse. And it doesn't appear to be a trick of the light. Nor does it look like the weather-beaten "tan" sometimes visible on the faces of 19th C. individuals who spent a lot of time out of doors.

It really does look as if the lower half of Liz's face is a different color than the upper half, actually "ruddier"...But how can that be?

See, this is where we need Sam Flynn to come along and sort things out! I miss Sam.

- Archaic

Comment

Gareth

Hello Bunny.

"See, this is where we need Sam Flynn to come along and sort things out! I miss Sam."

So do we all.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                              It really does look as if the lower half of Liz's face is a different color than the upper half, actually "ruddier"...But how can that be?
                              I wonder if that might just be lighting? Look at the shadow that her nose is casting. She's lit with a fairly sharp, distinct light from above and to the viewer's left. The lower part of her face where the cheeks are concave appears to be slightly shadowed.

-Ginger
                              - Ginger

Comment

Excellent work! I've always wondered if the weird look of the original was due to long exposure and the eyes being open at first then closed during the shot. This clean up takes Stride out of the category of frightful hag and shows her as she was reported at the time, a fairly decent looking woman! Kudos!
                                And the questions always linger, no real answer in sight

Comment

Working...
                                X