No announcement yet.

Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You aren't going to like this, Silverstealth.

I did e-mail the seller about this and he sent me a polite reply thanking me for letting him know... seems he didn't tell his bidders, though.

These papers are a set of reproductions issued in 1974. These editions often came with a wrapper (missing here) and it's always the same copies. I have NEVER seen an original IPN of the period, let alone a Ripper edition. The way to tell if a LVP newspaper is genuine is to check the print. If it's of the period, it will have a very slight embossing because of the method of printing.

The yellowing, brittleness and general dirtiness of these copies is simply down to bad storage. In this condition, they would be worth an absolute maximum of £20 in my opinion.

However, they are not THAT common and if you're using them as a research tool rather than an historical investment, then surely they're worth it?

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Papers

I believe Phil to be absolutely correct here. The other clue is that the repros are always folded into quarters.

About the printing, to be more precise the actual letters are not embossed but impressed, intaglio. This gives the impression that the surrounding paper is embossed. The best way to feel this is to roughen your fingertips with fine sandpaper and then draw them across the surface of the paper. You should be able to feel the impressions.

The other way is to shine an oblique light across the page a la CSI. You should with a bit of luck see the shadows.

Comment

• I'd be trying to get my money back on this one.
        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• There is an old saying in Yorkshire, "Tha don't get owt for nowt".

I will request a partial credit and go from there, they are still good articles all the same and as pointed out usefull for research.

Thanks guys for the heads up..

Comment

• Going back a bit in the posts here have just checked my Fontana 'Autumn of Terror'- Cullen first edition Fontana 1966...think it cost me £1.50 from ebay years and years ago

Have decided I MUST read it again!!!!.. early night- work tomorrow sadly!

Suz xx

Just looking at the cover and love the quote from 'The Mirror'...'The Best Book Yet On The Ripper'

Mind you- still one of my all time favs!!!...

Psssssssssssssssst wanna see my Jon Benet bits of string collection??.....buyer collects!! aaaaaaagh!
            Last edited by Suzi; 06-28-2009, 11:29 PM.
            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WILLIAM-W-GULL-suspected-of-being-JACK-THE-RIPPER_W0QQitemZ260434012032QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca313a780&_trksid=p3286. c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A3|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|3 01%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

William Gull signature.

Comment

• Illustrated Police News

Any thoughts, I presume they are the usual 1970's reprints and not originals as listed??

Comment

• Reprints

The creasing of the item that this is a re-print.

Comment

• Reprints

The creasing of the item says that this is a re-print.

Comment

• I've not even clicked on the link as I KNOW this is going to be from the 1974 reprint of the IPN - right?

I have NEVER seen an original from this particular series (I suspect SPE may own one or two, though). They are extremely rare and valuable. You can be 99.9% sure that any Ripper-related IPN you see on eBay is from the 1974 series of reprints. Expect to pay up to about £20 for the set, and £25 with the wrapper.

PHILIP
                      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Facsimilie Package On Ebay

Hiya, A few years back, I won a bid on EBAY for a package of facsimilie documents (8 x 10), paid for it, but alas, it was a no show. included in the kit was things like the Dear Boss letter etc. Any one out there know where i could possibly find an other package like this ??? As i said ,this was on EBAY a few years back and it was an item that i had taken to be commercially put together for retail or perhaps a conference. Please and thankyou. Ken
                        " ON A HOT SUMMERS NITE, WOULD YOU OFFER YOUR THROAT TO WITH THE RED ROSES ?"

Comment

• Might be able to help.

Originally posted by gizmo View Post
                          Hiya, A few years back, I won a bid on EBAY for a package of facsimilie documents (8 x 10), paid for it, but alas, it was a no show. included in the kit was things like the Dear Boss letter etc. Any one out there know where i could possibly find an other package like this ??? As i said ,this was on EBAY a few years back and it was an item that i had taken to be commercially put together for retail or perhaps a conference. Please and thankyou. Ken
                          I'm pretty sure I have a spare copy somewhere I could let you have. How much did you pay on Ebay?

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                            I've not even clicked on the link as I KNOW this is going to be from the 1974 reprint of the IPN - right?

I have NEVER seen an original from this particular series (I suspect SPE may own one or two, though). They are extremely rare and valuable. You can be 99.9% sure that any Ripper-related IPN you see on eBay is from the 1974 series of reprints. Expect to pay up to about £20 for the set, and £25 with the wrapper.

PHILIP
                            That's what they are I reckon- not worth any serious payment I believe- apart from wall decoraction
                            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Thankyou !

Originally posted by Bob Hinton View Post
                              I'm pretty sure I have a spare copy somewhere I could let you have. How much did you pay on Ebay?
                              I believe it came to $21. ( eleven quid ) I would gladly advance payment upon receipt of your mailing address by a PM. THANKS
                              " ON A HOT SUMMERS NITE, WOULD YOU OFFER YOUR THROAT TO WITH THE RED ROSES ?"

Comment

• Originally posted by gizmo View Post
                                Hello Ken

Wouldn't this be the collection of facsimile documents put together by Keith Skinner and Stewart Evans?

C
                                Christopher T. George
                                Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                                just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                                For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                                RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Working...
                                X