'Saucy Jack' by Spinal Tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Saucy Jack' by Spinal Tap

This is a band that was originally formed for a "mockumentary" in the early 80's called "This is Spinal Tap" about an over the hill English metal band making a reunion tour of North America. It's a hilarious movie and was so popular that the guys made some albums over the years.

In the movie they briefly mention their song about JTR called "Saucy Jack" and at a later date actually wrote and recorded the track which you can hear at this youtube link.

Sadly I do not have a clip from the film itself. Funny song though.

Best Ripper song ever?

One of my favorite movies! It really hit a nerve at the time. First, many people thought they were a real band. Second, many real bands thought they they were the band being mocked. Third, many bands past and present admit Spinal Tap moments.

Just a classic film.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
      Best Ripper song ever?

One of my favorite movies! It really hit a nerve at the time. First, many people thought they were a real band. Second, many real bands thought they they were the band being mocked. Third, many bands past and present admit Spinal Tap moments.

Just a classic film.
      No doubt best ripper song ever.

Great to see another Tap fan here. I love them. Wish they would make a proper sequel. I love that they all play their own instruments and write/perform their own music. It is also very cool that they have released a few albums over the years.

Cheers.

Comment

What's this about Tap not being a "Real Band" I know plenty of real bands that would love to have sold as many records as they have.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
          What's this about Tap not being a "Real Band" I know plenty of real bands that would love to have sold as many records as they have.
          LOL! Very true.

I bet they were surprised, though, at just how well Tap took off. It has an incredibly strong and loyal cult following and almost every musician I know is a fan. Some seriously talented guys.

They deserve to have their photo posted for those who do not know of them.

Comment

I hadn't heard of this until today. I found the lyrics and thought i'd post them:

You're a naughty one Saucy Jack
            You're a haughty one Saucy Jack
            When the streetlamp gaslight flickers and fails
            Then you see the last light glinting off the entrails

Oh naughty naughty naughty

You're a sneaky one Saucy Jack
            You're a cheeky one Saucy Jack
            First the whore says guv'nor fancy a squeeze?
            Next you will be shov'in her down the hole to Hades

The scourge of London Town
            (The scourge of London Town)
            There'll be no rest 'til
            You are a guest of The Crown

Naughty naughty naughty

You're a gloulish one Saucy Jack
            Not a foolish one Saucy Jack
            Though the peelers track you early and late
            Slipping out the back you counter with a checkmate

Naughty naughty naughty

Hm hm hm hm hoo hoo ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by gnote View Post
              I hadn't heard of this until today. I found the lyrics and thought i'd post them:

You're a naughty one Saucy Jack
              You're a haughty one Saucy Jack
              When the streetlamp gaslight flickers and fails
              Then you see the last light glinting off the entrails

You're a sneaky one Saucy Jack
              You're a cheeky one Saucy Jack
              First the whore says guv'nor fancy a squeeze?
              Next you will be shov'in her down the hole to Hades

The scourge of London Town
              (The scourge of London Town)
              There'll be no rest 'til
              You are a guest of The Crown

Naughty naughty naughty

You're a gloulish one Saucy Jack
              Not a foolish one Saucy Jack
              Though the peelers track you early and late
              Slipping out the back you counter with a checkmate

Naughty naughty naughty

Hm hm hm hm hoo hoo ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
              Haha excellent. Thanks for posting the lyrics!

Comment

Loved the film. Favorite bit was the foul-up regarding the stage décor for the number about the Druids and Stonehenge, when they get two small models of the Stonehenge structures, and two dwarfs are dancing next to them supposedly as giants (clog dancing at that!).

Never could find their album, "Smell the glove".

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                  Loved the film. Favorite bit was the foul-up regarding the stage décor for the number about the Druids and Stonehenge, when they get two small models of the Stonehenge structures, and two dwarfs are dancing next to them supposedly as giants (clog dancing at that!).

Never could find their album, "Smell the glove".
                  The greatest Mockumentary ever...sadly no Smell the Glove album...however the soundtrack Album was released (as The Black Album.. as depicted in the film) and several years later a follow up Album "Break Like The Wind" was released.. featuring more gems and many many guest artists including Jeff Beck, Cher, Joe Satriani, Timothy B Schmit and Dweezil Zappa…

Steadmund Brand
                  "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

All three of them were Saturday Night Live cast members.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                      All three of them were Saturday Night Live cast members.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                      Just not at the same time... sad that the years Michael did it the show was so terrible

Steadmund Brand
                      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                        Just not at the same time... sad that the years Michael did it the show was so terrible

Steadmund Brand
                        Watching him play Dahmer was worth it, though. LOL. I think he was still on Laverne and Shirley when the other guys were doing SNL.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                          Watching him play Dahmer was worth it, though. LOL. I think he was still on Laverne and Shirley when the other guys were doing SNL.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                          I think you are correct... had to be early to mid 80's...I did hear a rumor they may be doing a small Tours the 30th anniversary of the movie was 2014 ( I know.. a year late.. but I think that's the joke) then again.. who knows

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                            The greatest Mockumentary ever...sadly no Smell the Glove album...however the soundtrack Album was released (as The Black Album.. as depicted in the film) and several years later a follow up Album "Break Like The Wind" was released.. featuring more gems and many many guest artists including Jeff Beck, Cher, Joe Satriani, Timothy B Schmit and Dweezil Zappa…

Steadmund Brand
                            Movie also had Billy Crystal, Dana Carvey, Bruno Kirby, Ed Beagley Jr, Fran Dresher, Paul Shaffer and thr guy who played Johnny Fever on wkrp.

Comment

Oh man, this movie brings back memories... I can attest to the love and occasional pink cheeks it engendered among metal musicians back in the day. Spinal Tap moments were plenty in the metal scene. Some might prove funny only to metalheads, but boy, there was a lot. Like:

Some friends of mine in a death metal band scored a sweet gig, and decided they wanted to mimic some other friends of mine in a black metal band, who used real pig heads on stage as props, impaled on gnarly sticks. Well, ONE of the guys (let's call him Lead Singer) wanted to do this, the rest of the band thought it was a stupid idea, but with various levels of dubiousness they went along with it.

A week or so before the gig, Lead Singer somehow managed to procure a single pig's head, and stored this in his mum's deep freeze so it'd be nice and fresh for the big night.

So the day arrived - they were preparing to set up, and Lead Singer had a gnarly stick ready to impale the head on. Except -- the head was frozen solid. It quickly became obvious that no impaling was going to happen.

Not to be deterred! He ran about looking for some bits of two-by-four, thinking maybe it was still good - he could nail the head to a couple planks and it'd still look okay, right?

By the time he got this monstrosity erected (at the front of the stage for maximum effect), the pig-on-a-plank had begun defrosting, creating a large and nasty-smelling puddle.

Never fear, said Lead Singer, this was sure to give the band that grim black metal edge -- right? Two songs in, the bass player - perhaps concerned about how being electrocuted by a pig head might affect his image - unplugged his bass and went home.

Not to be deterred, Lead Singer insisted they play on, though the crowd, clearly unimpressed by the lack of bass and the rapidly melting head on its makeshift gallows-pole, started jeering:

"Where's your bass player? Is he the one on the plank?"

......classic.

Comment

Working...
                              X