New Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jason

Oh god yes...and for chrissake this is a woman I don't even like that much...

(Now if it were someone more like Debs or Tracy or Pat....)

All the best

Dave
    Last edited by Cogidubnus; 09-30-2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

G'day Jonathan

Checking out the cover he looks a bit like Charlie Chaplin. Not at all, in my opinion, like the other portraits when you see him standing.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Friendly advice

Jonathan,

You might want to cut your prices in half if you want to sell any. $40 for a paperback?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Christ Tom...yes you're right...if that's the price in either Aussie or US dollars that's nearly £25 GB....probably twice the going rate for a paperback of this nature...

Leaving aside any personal bias which might be thought to be elicited by what you charged for your paperback, Helena, for example charged £20 for the limited edition hardback and £12.99 for the revised edition in paperback...

Jeez

Dave

Comment

Oh, come on! It's not that much. I paid more for soft cover college texts over thirty years ago.

Now, about my complementary copy...

Comment

Very interesting.
              And that photo - dare I say it, he looks at bit effete. Confirms my theory about Druitt.

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                Very interesting.
                And that photo - dare I say it, he looks at bit effete. Confirms my theory about Druitt.
                He's not gay...he's British.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post

To Fisherman

I have recently added to the manuscript, e.g. to debunk the DNA 'solution'.
                  That´s just fine, Jonathan, as long as you steer clear of any DNA of your own, so to speak ...

The best,
                  Fisherman

Comment

The pricing is typical McFarland & Co.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                      The pricing is typical McFarland & Co.

Rob
                      Is it? Keep in mind we're talking paperback here, not hard cover. I can't recall buying a $40 paperback before and I've bought McFarland pubs in the past.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

It works out to about £24.50 here in the UK.
                        Jack the Ripper Black Magic Ritual set me back £29
                        The Elizabeth Stride book is about £30 and R Michael Gordons books are typically around the £25 mark. So about normal.

Rob

Comment

Hi Rob

But aren't you disregarding the difference between hardback and paperback? RMGs was a substantial hardback for example...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                            Hi Rob

But aren't you disregarding the difference between hardback and paperback? RMGs was a substantial hardback for example...

All the best

Dave
                            Not as far as I am aware. Nearly every McFarland book is paperback. The only Hardback book I can think of is Stan Russo's book.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                              It works out to about £24.50 here in the UK.
                              Jack the Ripper Black Magic Ritual set me back £29
                              The Elizabeth Stride book is about £30 and R Michael Gordons books are typically around the £25 mark. So about normal.

Rob
                              Yikes, I guess you're right. I just looked and Spiro's is $36.10 for paperback. I didn't remember paying that much, but I guess I did.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

To Tom W

I just hope the book is a great read at any [reasonable] price.

By 'great' I mean an entertaining read that proves that, rightly or wrongly, Sir Melville believed he had solved the case in 1891--and then began bobbing and weaving his way through the Late Victorian and Edwardian eras--with sidekick George Sims--to both reveal and conceal said solution.

Newly discovered primary sources will show why.

To Lechmere

There are three new pictures of Druitt, of which the cover shows one.

Have you ever heard of Rock Hudson? Can you really 'judge' a book by its 'cover'--in either direction?

But seriously, I think that if you get a chance to read it you will be impressed. I don't mean in the persuaded, let alone the 'gotcha' sense.

I mean that you will see I have taken on board your criticism of my 'case disguised' theory and done something about it. That the lazy, Australian hillbilly has actually done some work for once and not just shared his icky, man-crush on Super-Mac for 300, or so pages.

To Scott Nelson

Your complementary copy is on the way. You're still at the old address, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X