Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wont kill in Whitechapel? - by etenguy 18 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - by Trevor Marriott 25 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - by Trevor Marriott 28 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - by Trevor Marriott 33 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - by Varqm 34 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wont kill in Whitechapel? - by Boggles 37 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wont kill in Whitechapel? - (99 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (11 posts)
Non-Fiction: Jack and the Thames Torso Murders: A New Ripper? - (6 posts)
General Police Discussion: City of London Precincts and Divisions involved in the Investigation - (3 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Jack the Ripper learned don't eviscerate before you exsanguinate - (2 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Le Grand, Charles

Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Commisioner

Yes, I know to whom he's referring, though I don't see how that makes him the stupidest crook. The amount of crimes Le Grand must have gotten away with is staggering. He was off his rocker by the time of the Grosvenor Square fiasco.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
The amount of crimes Le Grand must have gotten away with is staggering. He was off his rocker by the time of the Grosvenor Square fiasco.
I suspect this too about more crimes by him having remained undetected (so far). Obviously, like most criminals, he decompensated in the end (before he got arrested for good), but even at Berner Street he certainly didn't illustrate modest wants: Starting out a detective agency, directing the WVC, informer for The Evening News, possibly playing both sides of the street pertaining to the IWEC, planting evidence and indoctrinating several witnesses in a murder investigation, plus a full time job as a pimp and an intimidator of the girls working for him. That's quite a lot of tasks for one guy. Something had to give?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariab View Post
Quote Stephen Thomas:
Oh, I'll just go and terrorise Lady So and So in Grosvenor Square.

You know perfectly well that he means the 1st Baroness Bolsover, blackmailed by Le Grand. She was the widow of Arthur Cavendish Bentnick (deceased in 1877) and she had 3 sons, Henry, William Augustus, and Charles, plus a stepson named William John Arthur Charles James (now that's an impressive bunch of names), 6th Duke of Portland. He was the stepson of the Baroness Bolsover and not the MP George Cavendish Bentinck, who opposed W.T. Stead's movement because he allegedly enjoyed prostitutes, as he was implicated in the Cleveland Street scandal. The MP George CB was the only son of Lord Frederick Cavendish Bentinck, and the cousin of Baroness Bolsover's stepson*. So it might be true (or not) that Le Grand had met Baroness Bolsover, as he claimed in his letter(s).
(*Courtesy of Debra Arif, from Monahan's book.)
As for Lord Frederick Cavendish, the murder victim at Phoenix Park, Debs says that he was probably related with the Cavendish Bentincks from their grandmother's side or before, but much earlier than the 1880s/1890s. Doesn't appear that they were related politically.
Hi Maria,...Fairly accurate, except I said that I got only the name of the M.P. from Monaghans book and none of the other stuff which is all my own bumph. I said they may be cousins and I said that the Bentincks took on the double barelled Cavendish c 1801...from female intervention, and if the Cavendish's of Phoenix Park were related it was way out there and not significant.

I am not DJA. He's called Dave.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra A View Post
Fairly accurate, except I said that I got only the name of the M.P. from Monaghans book and none of the other stuff which is all my own bumph.
Hi Debs, many apologies for not stating more clearly in my improvised footnote that you got only the MPs name (George Cavendish Bentinck) from Monaghan, and that all the rest is from your own research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra A View Post
I said they may be cousins and I said that the Bentincks took on the double barelled Cavendish c 1801...from female intervention, and if the Cavendish's of Phoenix Park were related it was way out there and not significant.
Oh, I wasn't aware at all that we're not sure if Baroness' Bolsover stepson Cavendish Bentinck and the MP Cavendish Bentinck were cousins. I assume that this is easy to establish, if one has the patience to go through their family tree? (What fun.)
As for the Cavendish Bentincks being related to Lord Frederick Cavendish of Phoenix Park fame, even if they were related, it looks like the MP Cavendish Bentinck and Lord Frederick Cavendish pursued different political agendas.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariab View Post

Oh, I wasn't aware at all that we're not sure if Baroness' Bolsover stepson Cavendish Bentinck and the MP Cavendish Bentinck were cousins. I assume that this is easy to establish, if one has the patience to go through their family tree? (What fun.)
Try it sometime, Maria!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Superintendent

Mmm, I'm afraid that family trees is my all time weakest spot. I know it's an essential research method, but, to be honest, I'd rather eat bricks than do it. Plus it doesn't help that I'm semi-retarded in recognizing or grasping more complex family ties than mother/father/brother/sister/first cousin.
But I'll do censuses, hopefully (at some point) financial records, and look up for a listing/book about Danish diplomats. Right now I'm still reading Rip back issues, and my other first priority is to go through some CIA reports Lynn Cates sent me (about the Okhrana). Plus this week is kinda busy, with getting back to work and tons of neglected stuff to take care of.
It's not easy being a newbie...
Old 01-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
'Le Grand' was the stupidest crook that ever was born.

Oh, I'll just go and terrorise Lady So and So in Grosvenor Square.

Yeah, sure.
I object! One of his crimes was two years in the planning, and god knows how many times he pulled the same scam and got away with it. Just that MAM had big balls.
His1891 bank frauds were extraordinary in their planning,described as 'ingenious' by the judge..just that somone smarter was on to him....

Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Superintendent

Debs, do you refer to his indictment on November 16 1891, about the forged bill of exchange supposed to be drawn by W. Ashburnham etc.? Or are there other bank frauds as well?
And which of his crimes was the one to have taken up 2 years in the planning, if I may ask?
Old 04-10-2011, 01:37 AM
Commisioner

Grand & Batchelor (as Private Detectives) make their first appearance at the Stride murder, has anyone come across any paperwork which might answer the question, "who hired them?".

Because Grand & Batchelor brought Packer to Sir Charles Warren, I had assumed it was CW who might have hired them - if so, "why?"

Would CW hire a criminal (Grand) to do detective work on behalf of the Gov't?

Any thoughts along these lines?

Regards, Jon S.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:43 AM
Superintendent

Joseph Aarons hired them. They NEVER brought Matthew Packer to Charles Warren himself. You might be interested in reading Tom Wescott's article in Examiner 2. It discusses all this. Also the casebook thread about Examiner 2 discusses some of these details.