No announcement yet.

A possible organ container?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the same page as the sponge bag there is a drawing of an old-fashioned shower cap (called a bathing cap then - in fact, I have seen them on women's heads while in the sea in several books of photographs of the late Victorian period. I have them here at home). Being in a fanciful mood I'm imagining JTR putting the organs in a shower cap (waterproof, of course), and then wrapping the package up in newspaper (thanks here to Ruby for her excellent suggestion!) and putting the whole inside one of the deep outer pockets of his long, dark and very cosy ulster overcoat.

Carol
    Last edited by Carol; 01-28-2012, 08:27 PM. Reason: I typed Errata instead of Ruby.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
      Do you remember who was seen carrying a "parcel covered with 'American cloth' " ?
      A parcel wrapped in oilcloth.

Nothing like coming prepared...

Regards, Jon S.
      how about jogging our memories on the person with the parcel?

Comment

Originally posted by Carol View Post
        Hello curious,
        Yes, I agree they 'feel unhandy for JTR'. That is why I think the sponge bag would be a more likely item to use.
        You obviously believe the murderer was poor. Why?
        Carol
        Carol,
        I've not yet decided who I think the killer(s) was, but that does seem to be a telling remark for me, doesn't it? Maybe I am leaning toward the opinion that it was a local, blend-in-with-the-crowd member of the great mass that seems to have been Whitechapel.

Maybe because the more affluent suspects just aren't working for me.

Interesting point. I'm going to have to ponder this for awhile.

Comment

On the same page as the sponge bag there is a drawing of an old-fashioned shower cap (called a bathing cap then - in fact, I have seen them on women's heads while in the sea in several books of photographs of the late Victorian period. I have them here at home). Being in a fanciful mood I'm imagining JTR putting the organs in a shower cap (waterproof, of course), and then wrapping the package up in newspaper (thanks here to Ruby for her excellent suggestion!) and putting the whole inside one of the deep outer pockets of his long, dark and very cosy ulster overcoat.

Carol
          I remember shower caps and bathing caps. The bathing caps were particularly uncomfortable. (and no I did not live in the Victorian era, unless you count the 1950s and 1960s.)

In response to your fanciful mood, tell me, Carol, when Jtr gets home and unwraps himself from his cosy ulster overcoat, does he hand it to the butler to clean and hang up for his next outing?
          Last edited by curious; 01-28-2012, 11:04 PM.

Comment

The problem with the bloke carrying the parcel is that we don't know what, if anything, was even in the parcel, or if the said fellow was even the killer.....as well as that, I don't recall any other witnesses describing similar to that (apart from the old myth about the Gladstone bag), so it might be a bit of a red herring?

Having said that, something oilskin or similar would make a good carry sack. Something strong but not cumbersome, and easy to clean or dispose of.

Cheers,
            Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
              how about jogging our memories on the person with the parcel?
              You're kidding, right?

"...He carried a small parcel in his hand about 8in. long, and it had a strap round it. He had it tightly grasped in his left hand. It looked as though it was covered with dark American cloth."

I thought this was embossed in everybody's memory...

Regards, Jon S.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
                The problem with the bloke carrying the parcel is that we don't know what, if anything, was even in the parcel, or if the said fellow was even the killer.....as well as that, I don't recall any other witnesses describing similar to that (apart from the old myth about the Gladstone bag), so it might be a bit of a red herring?

Having said that, something oilskin or similar would make a good carry sack. Something strong but not cumbersome, and easy to clean or dispose of.

Cheers,
                Adam.
                exactly, Adam.

But I was interested in which fella it was carrying the parcel of American cloth. I don't recall.

Comment

QUOTE=Wickerman;205172]You're kidding, right?

"...He carried a small parcel in his hand about 8in. long, and it had a strap round it. He had it tightly grasped in his left hand. It looked as though it was covered with dark American cloth."

I thought this was embossed in everybody's memory...

Regards, Jon S.[/QUOTE]

Dear Jon,
                  Please be'ave yerself and stop teasin' me new mate. Fer yer info it ain't even ombessed in me own mem'ry - so there!
                  Carol
                  Last edited by Carol; 01-29-2012, 08:23 PM. Reason: Important spelling mistake

Comment

Carol,
                    I've not yet decided who I think the killer(s) was, but that does seem to be a telling remark for me, doesn't it? Maybe I am leaning toward the opinion that it was a local, blend-in-with-the-crowd member of the great mass that seems to have been Whitechapel.

Maybe because the more affluent suspects just aren't working for me.

Interesting point. I'm going to have to ponder this for awhile.
                    Hello curious,
                    I haven't decided who the killer might have been either and it wasn't until I had typed 'Why?' to you that I realised where my own thoughts are leading! So, like you, 'I'm going to have to ponder this for awhile'!
                    Carol

Comment

I remember shower caps and bathing caps. The bathing caps were particularly uncomfortable. (and no I did not live in the Victorian era, unless you count the 1950s and 1960s.)

In response to your fanciful mood, tell me, Carol, when Jtr gets home and unwraps himself from his cosy ulster overcoat, does he hand it to the butler to clean and hang up for his next outing?
                      Hello curious,

As I was born in 1946 I look on the 1950's and 1960's as the day before yesterday.

I haven't come as far as JTR having a butler yet in my thinking, but give me time - give me time.

Carol

Comment

Dear Jon,
                        Please be'ave yerself and stop teasin' me new mate. Fer yer info it ain't even ombessed in me own mem'ry - so there!
                        Carol
                        Carol.
                        I though you were playing with me, ok, the man in question was the one seen by Hutchinson in Commercial st.
                        This is the whole article..

Regards, Jon S.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hello curious,

As I was born in 1946 I look on the 1950's and 1960's as the day before yesterday.

I haven't come as far as JTR having a butler yet in my thinking, but give me time - give me time.

Carol
                          so, that's the direction your mind is going in? interesting.

Comment

Carol.
                            I though you were playing with me, ok, the man in question was the one seen by Hutchinson in Commercial st.

Regards, Jon S.
                            Thanks, Jon,

I know there were men with black bags running around everywhere!

Comment

Carol.

Regards, Jon S.
                              Hello Jon,
                              Thanks very much for the link! I guess I must have read about the package before somewhere. I'll try and keep the information in my head this time!
                              Carol

Comment

so, that's the direction your mind is going in? interesting.
                                Yes, it is interesting, curious. Problem is, is it likely?
                                Carol

Comment

Working...
                                X