Age of the Ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of the Ripper?

(apologies if there is already a thread for this - i did look but couldn't see anything)

It's interesting to speculate on the age of the man possible of committing the rippings.

There has been some discussion that 22 is too young an age therefore those suspects aged around 22 at the time should be considered less likely/eliminated from suspicion?

This would be in terms of people like Klosowski, Kozminski and Hutch?

I personally think 22 is old enough.

I came across this news story today, in which it is said:

"The jury heard the two defendants were now blaming each other but Mr Aylett said the crime was a joint enterprise of "unmitigated evil".

Mr Sonnex enjoyed using "gratuitous violence" and had a previous conviction for inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent for a stabbing he carried out at the age of 16, the jury heard."

full story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8020498.stm

it's also interesting to note that this perpetrator was also accused of burglarly (in which he tied up his pregnant foster sister), arson, and the vicious murders of these two students (varying MO's, psychiatric condition, age etc all relevant here i think).

I think the age of the Ripper is up for debate because of the varying descriptons as much as anything.

any views anyone?
    babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Age of Suspects in 1888

Joseph Lis 20
    Thomas Cutbush 22
    Mary Pearcey 22
    David Cohen 23
    Severin Klosowski 23
    Aaron Kosminski 23
    Prince Albert Victor 24
    Arbie La Bruckman 26
    William Grant Grainger 28
    George Hutchinson 28
    James Kelly 28
    Walter Sickert 28
    W.H. Bury 29
    Joseph Fleming 29
    James Hardiman 29
    James Kenneth Stephen 29
    Francis Thompson 29
    Joseph Barnett 30
    Joseph Isaacs 30
    Montague John Druitt 31
    Dr. Pedachenko 31
    Jacob Levy 32
    Hyam Hyams 33
    Alfred Napier Blanchard 34
    Michael Kidney 36
    Dr. T. Neill Cream 38
    John Pizer 38
    Nicholas Vassily 41
    Jacob Isenschmid 45
    Frederick Deeming 46
    Robert Donston Stehenson 47
    Carl Feigenbaum 48
    Alois Szemeredy 48
    James Maybrick 50
    Tom Sadler 50
    Michael Ostrog 55
    Francis Tumblety 55
    Lewis Carroll 56
    Sir William Gull 71

Age not known-
    Fogelma
    G. Wentworth Bell Smith

Additions and corrections welcome - Roy
    Sink the Bismark

Comment

Hi Roy,

A great post, which really puts 1888 in perspective.

The list of suspects basks in the glow of its own stupidity.

Regards,

Simon
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

hi Roy

wow, thanks for that...suspects up to the age of 71!

Didn't one of the witnesses give an age from seeing the Ripper from the back? I don't know how one would ascertain age from the back myself.

Still think 22 is plenty old enough to be the Ripper myself.
        babybird

George Sand

Comment

I don't see any reason why the ripper couldn't have been 20 or 22. Why was this held to be too young?

One thing that I think is worth noting is that brain diseases such as schizophrenia usually manifest around the age of 20, basically at the end of puberty when the brain matures fully. A certain type of serial killer will fall into this age range, because when the person gets older he's likely to be confined to an asylum where he can't do much damage.

Kosminski appears to have been schizophrenic and fallen into this broad category, regardless of whether he actually killed anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by babybird67 View Post
            wow, thanks for that...

Didn't one of the witnesses give an age from seeing the Ripper from the back?
            You are welcome, Ms Bird 67

That witness would be Elizabeth Long in the Annie Chapman case (click)

Roy "Route 66"
            Sink the Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by Christine View Post
              ...brain diseases such as schizophrenia usually manifest around the age of 20, basically at the end of puberty when the brain matures fully. A certain type of serial killer will fall into this age range,

Kosminski appears to have been schizophrenic and fallen into this broad category...
              Hi Christine,

In your profile, ruling out Lis and Klosowski because they were organized, we have Kosminki, Cohen, and Cutbush. If they were schizophrenic.

Roy
              Sink the Bismark

Comment

Young Suspects

The young suspects fall into two types -

(A) Asylum - Kosminski, Cohen and Cutbush

(B) Criminal Types - Lis, Klosowski and Pearcy. Their later criminality was projected back to 88'

Then there's Clarence.

Roy
                Sink the Bismark

Comment

This would be in terms of people like Klosowski, Kozminski and Hutch?

I personally think 22 is old enough.
                  Hi BB,

picking up young suspects before saying that, since they're to be considered serious suspects though they're a bit too young, the Ripper wasn't that old... doesn't make the Ripper younger than he was...!!!

It just doesn't work this way.

If one wants to know the age of the Ripper, the only way is to read what the witnesses said.
                  And what did they say ?
                  They provide us with a 30 years old Ripper, or 35, or 36, or over 40...

You'll never find a 25 years old Ripper, let alone a 22.
                  But you're welcome to think: nobody has seen the Ripper, so he could be 22.

My last observation would be: we don't know how old was Hutch.
                  Lewis couldn't say.

Amitiés,
                  David
                  Last edited by DVV; 04-29-2009, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                    Hi BB,

picking up young suspects before saying that, since they're to be considered serious suspects though they're a bit too young, the Ripper wasn't that old... doesn't make the Ripper younger than he was...!!!

It just doesn't work this way.

If one wants to know the age of the Ripper, the only way is to read what the witnesses said.
                    And what did they say ?
                    They provide us with a 30 years old Ripper, or 35, or 36, or over 40...

You'll never find a 25 years old Ripper, let alone a 22.
                    But you're welcome to think: nobody has seen the Ripper, so he could be 22.

My last observation would be: we don't know how old was Hutch.
                    Lewis couldn't say.

Amitiés,
                    David
                    Except that Kosminski was named as a suspect by one of the witnesses.

I really don't know what to make of this. Kosminski looked older than his age? It was a different Aaron Kosminski? Or "David Cohen?" The witness was mistaken about the age? There was a witness we don't know about? The witness didn't really think the suspect looked like Kosminski, but was intimidated by the police and went along with it? Feel free to come up with better ideas....

Comment

hi David

thanks for your thoughts!

I tend to think that none of the witnesses could agree on the age and if certain people estimated age merely from the back view i just don't see how that could be taken as a serious estimation...

Age is a funny thing. My mum is now in her sixties but she looked extremely young her whole life....people would estimate at least twenty years younger than actual age.

My sister also is 29. She came to stay last week. She has to carry her ID with her always, as she is asked for ID whenever she wants to buy cigarettes. Honestly she looks 14...not a day over.

There are people who do consistently look younger than they are, or older than they are, or are pretty hard to get a handle on whatever age they are. Especially when glanced for a milisecond in darkness by someone trying to obscure their features. And as you point out, the "real" Jack may never have been seen anyway.

I personally think Chapman is difficult to "age" accurately from his pictures but i am sure he is not the only suspect. Plus make-up/facial hair that might be used to mislead may suggest age that isn't accurate, if the killer had access to those things.

highly interesting as usual

babybird

George Sand

Comment

(apologies if there is already a thread for this - i did look but couldn't see anything)

It's interesting to speculate on the age of the man possible of committing the rippings.

There has been some discussion that 22 is too young an age therefore those suspects aged around 22 at the time should be considered less likely/eliminated from suspicion?
                        I think the age of the Ripper is up for debate because of the varying descriptons as much as anything.

any views anyone?
                        Hi Jen,

There already was a thread on the subject:
                        General discussion about anything Ripper related that does not fall into a specific sub-category. On topic-Ripper related posts only.

But that doesn't matter much. You might still find something of interest there.

Here's how I worded my opinion there:

For what it's worth, I see some maturity in the way the Ripper went about his crimes, which tells me he was out of his early 20s, but the curiosity for and exploration of the female body that I see in the mutilations tell me he was still quite young. So, my guess would be that he was about 28.

All the best,
                        Frank
                        "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
                        Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

thank you Frank

thanks for your comments and the link...i shall read it forthwith.
                          babybird

George Sand

Comment

You're very welcome, Babybird!
                            "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
                            Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Working...
                            X