Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught in the act......

Ladies/Gents,

Having watched the Channel 5 documentary about Charles Cross/Lechmere as a suspect. I'd very much like to read a book on him as a suspect. The one in the documentary is as I'm sure everyone is aware still a work in progress. There doesn't seem to be any others, other than "Caught in the act" by Mike Dant. The reviews on Amazon slate it everyone giving it one star. Has anyone read it, is it that bad? Should I just sit tight and await the Channel 5 book............?

Some of the foremost proponents of the Cross/Lechmere theory post on this very message board. This is probably the best place to get the latest on that theory.

I'll warn you that the opponents of the Cross/Lechmere theory tend to be very, very nasty to its proponents on this forum, which can be very off-putting if you're reading the discussion as a third party observer.

Comment

"I'll warn you that the opponents of the Cross/Lechmere theory tend to be very, very nasty to its proponents...."

Or vice versa!

Comment

Putting all that aside for a minute. Is the book any good or is it really as bad as the reviews state?

Comment

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
          Putting all that aside for a minute. Is the book any good or is it really as bad as the reviews state?
          Hi, PC2267,

As far as I know, there is no published book about Charles Lechmere, aka Charles Cross, who was a witness who discovered Polly Nichols' body and who testified at her inquest.

I think there is a book being written about this person, but the author does not post in this forum. I think it is still being researched.

The gentleman who appeared in the documentary film does post here under the name of Fisherman.

Maybe someone else can help you with information about a book called "Caught in the Act", as I am not aware of it. I will try looking it up and see what I can find out.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Jack The Ripper Caught In The Act Paperback – 23 Jul 2014

by Mr Mike Dant

Who was Jack The Ripper? On August 31, 1888 at 4:45 A.M. an ordinary family man and cart driver was discovered standing alone on a long dark desolate street next to the body of the first ripper victim. His own explanation of how he came to be there proves he must have been at the scene for some time before he was discovered. A half hour later he can be placed within feet of where a second ripper murder will occur 8 days later, a murder which may have been committed to throw suspicion off himself and implicate the only other man that knew he was the killer. This is the only suspect that can be placed at the scene of a murder, connected to others and openly lied to conceal his true identity. What is known about this mans movements during the time of the killings explains all aspects of the ripper murders, such as: Why was the killer never caught? Why did the murders occur where they did? Why did the killer leave Whitechapel and move into the city of London to commit the fourth murder? Where was the killer when house to house searches were made? Did the killer know his victims?. . . There are many mysterious questions surrounding the ripper murders and this man can answer them all.

Sounds interesting, HOWEVER out of the 4 reviews on AMAZON, they all give it one star and pretty much slate it................

Comment

UTTER RUBBISH By Bob Hinton on 14 Mar. 2015
              Format: Paperback

Total nonsense. The 'proof' the author offers is nonexistent, the connection to the other crimes turns out to be that the suspect was in London at the same time. The lying to the police is nothing more than the person quite legally using a different name, something that even the victims did (Eddowes told police her name was Mary Kelly). The assertion that this suspect is the only one who was in the vicinity of a murder is likewise nonsense - G Hutchinson for one. As a suspect based book this is far, far below the standard that should be expected.

Approach with caution By Steven L Bender on 14 Jan. 2015
              Format: Paperback Verified Purchase

More like the first attempt at drafting a theory than a serious book in its own right. The theory in question isn't new although it is intriguing, but more time and attention to detail should have been spent in turning this into a published work.

Even for a first draft the spelling and punctuation is worse than a five year olds By Mr Matthew Spires on 22 Aug. 2015

Utter rubbish. Even for a first draft the spelling and punctuation is worse than a five year olds. If this was published under my name I would be embarrassed.

Poorly written and researched. Poorly edited. No index ... By Darrell D. Baker on 21 Oct. 2014

Poorly written and researched. Poorly edited. No index or bibliography. A theory, that more or less fizzles out half way through the book. Privately printed? Self published?

All one star, not encouraging for a £19.99 book............

Comment

Hello PC2267,

The Dant book isn't up too much, the revues are pretty spot on.
                As pointed out, the Swedish researcher featured in the show is on these boards under the name "Fisherman" and in the "Suspects - Lechmere" section, under "Lechmere the trail so far" he explains far more than any book has covered.

If you want a contrary view, check out my article in Ripperologist #142, "Cross Examined". Between the two you should be able to get all the current information to make up your mind one way or the other.
                dustymiller
                aka drstrange

Comment

Dant's book might be burlesque-ish, but I did actually mean to write review not revue;-)
                  dustymiller
                  aka drstrange

Comment

There was an Australian magazine article a few years back that I have read that, as I remember at any rate, was a decent write up the Cross/Lechmere theory. The article was called Jack the Ripper the Prime Suspect, tragically I'm not sure of the name of the magazine it was in. Quadrant maybe.

Outside of that I gotta echo what others have said. You'll find the best coverage of the theory here.
                    I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Quadrant it was.

It's online here,
                      This Whitechapel Murderer suspect was a part of the East End streetscape and he has a name: Charles Allen Lechmere. He was discovered beside the still warm body of murdered prostitute Mary Ann “Polly” Nichols. And he walked away.

Conner also wrote about it in two issues of the long defunct Aussie Rip mag "Ripperoo"
                      dustymiller
                      aka drstrange

Comment

Many thanks guys. Think I'll sit tight and await Fishermans book, hopefully he'll publish it in the near future...............

Comment

I think Fish's book might be a looong way off yet, but his partner in crime, Ed Stow, is working hard on one. Not to diminish Fisherman's efforts but he would be the first to admit, Ed has done a lot of the grunt work in the Xmere story.
                          dustymiller
                          aka drstrange

Comment

I'm not fussed who writes it as long as I've got something on the subject to read. I've read Stow's book about the Torso Murders which I enjoyed, he's a good author in my humble opinion, do we know when his `Cross` book is likely to go to press?

Comment

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
                              I'm not fussed who writes it as long as I've got something on the subject to read. I've read Stow's book about the Torso Murders which I enjoyed, he's a good author in my humble opinion, do we know when his `Cross` book is likely to go to press?
                              Are you fussed about paying or the price?

I wrote my own book with never before seen opinions.

"Jakc the Riper. Fineally Totlly crime saulved!!

Copies available exclusively from me for £5000. Buy now and beat the Christmas rush. Guaranteed to be a collectors item. *

* Guarantee not guaranteed

Comment

Working...
                              X