Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by packers stem View Post
    This is just plain daft now Pierre,a pointless conversation
    Agreed, and I'm slightly surprised that Admin hasn't pulled the shutters down on it.

I've said all I want to say anyway, and I'm out of it.

Graham
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
      So you hold a PhD then?

I speak with a number of PhD holders, typically in the field of archaeology and related sciences...
      I do too, almost all of them serving me at McDonald's and Burger King. They're always asking the same fundamental question: "Will that be all?"

Comment

• ripper revealed

My foot is firmly in the camp of knowing the case is solved. Intrigued me for 40 years now and no nearer knowing the truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by paul g View Post
          My foot is firmly in the camp of knowing the case is solved. Intrigued me for 40 years now and no nearer knowing the truth.
          Yes I agree I don't think anyone interested in the case doesn't want it to be solved...in fact the whole point is we WANT to know who the ripper was. I don't agree with the interpretation that ripperologist want the case to keep on going unsolved in order to continue the "fun".

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
            Yes I agree I don't think anyone interested in the case doesn't want it to be solved...in fact the whole point is we WANT to know who the ripper was. I don't agree with the interpretation that ripperologist want the case to keep on going unsolved in order to continue the "fun".
            Absolutely. The other argument is that people want it to remain open because it's a money making "industry". Almost as if Ripperologists are some poor version of pharmaceutical executives deliberately holding back the the cure for cancer.

Ironically the people parroting this nonsense are often the few who've actually made money from the Jack the Ripper phenomena themselves after they've "solved" the case. When their theory is debunked they're the ones who stand to lose money.

Comment

• Another thing, I've already been reprimanded for my comments in this thread so I will try to put this delicately. There is no reason for pierre not to name his suspect, yes he probably wants a book deal and all the glory, but personally I don't respect that at all. If he named his suspect and he actually solved the case...he'd still be the ONE who solved it! But how many people have claimed to solve the case and every single one of them has been completely full of horseshit am I not right? So why should we suppose this theory is any different than all the countless others, with the evidence just as worthless as all the rest?

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                Another thing, I've already been reprimanded for my comments in this thread so I will try to put this delicately. There is no reason for pierre not to name his suspect, yes he probably wants a book deal and all the glory, but personally I don't respect that at all. If he named his suspect and he actually solved the case...he'd still be the ONE who solved it! But how many people have claimed to solve the case and every single one of them has been completely full of horseshit am I not right? So why should we suppose this theory is any different than all the countless others, with the evidence just as worthless as all the rest?
                Hi,

I havenīt claimed to solve the case. I have said that I think I have found him.

"Glory" and book deals mean nothing to me. Research does. To many ripperologists have already gone for the book deal and glory and I think thatīs part of the explanation as to why they havenīt found him. So I do understand your argument about "horseshit". I think you are right in saying that.

Regards Pierre

Comment

• A very small step forward

Hi,

Yesterday I made a very small step forward with a piece of data. I say small step since I will not use it to prove the killers identity. But it means that this peace of data has now its correct interpretation and that it is clearly congruent with the rest of the data. So it strenghtens the theory.

This type of research is difficult since one canīt always understand the motives of the killer on a micro level. You know his paramount motive but then there are smaller motives for certain actions connected to this grand motive. They have to be congruent. If they arenīt you must reject them.

And this is mainly how I work. I try to reject every interpretation of the data and when this is impossible to do given the rest of the data and the theory, I keep it for now.

This small step forward explains why he did what he did in a certain way a certain night and why the setting around it as well as (the most important!) the data from it looks as it does.

It also explains, in a more advanced way, why he chose a certain date. I had data for this already but the correct interpretation of data gives more support to this fact.

And it clearly connects independent sources to eachother.

I was hoping for this peace of data to be the one to get me out of this theory, but instead it kicked me back in.

For me this means I cannot yet say that this is not him, though I wish I could say that. I would like to reject the whole theory and I hope to be able to do that, but Iīm afraid I donīt think that is very likely.

Pierre
                  Last edited by Pierre; 10-08-2015, 02:00 AM.

Comment

• And on, and on, and on, and on, and.....................

Comment

• I was hoping for this peace of data to be the one to get me out of this theory, but instead it kicked me back in.

I've already given you a piece of data to get you out of your theory so you can feel free to drop it now without too many sleepless nights
                      You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                        And on, and on, and on, and on, and.....................
                        But hey another piece if data has been found, we should all be so happy.

As a BTW what does Pierre mean by "Data"?
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                          But hey another piece if data has been found, we should all be so happy.

As a BTW what does Pierre mean by "Data"?
                          Old threads and dissertations on here I think GUT
                          You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

• Originally posted by packers stem View Post
                            Old threads and dissertations on here I think GUT
                            Hi,

I only have data from the time of the murders.

Pierre

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                              Hi,

Yesterday I made a very small step forward with a piece of data. I say small step since I will not use it to prove the killers identity. But it means that this peace of data has now its correct interpretation and that it is clearly congruent with the rest of the data. So it strenghtens the theory.

This type of research is difficult since one canīt always understand the motives of the killer on a micro level. You know his paramount motive but then there are smaller motives for certain actions connected to this grand motive. They have to be congruent. If they arenīt you must reject them.

And this is mainly how I work. I try to reject every interpretation of the data and when this is impossible to do given the rest of the data and the theory, I keep it for now.

This small step forward explains why he did what he did in a certain way a certain night and why the setting around it as well as (the most important!) the data from it looks as it does.

It also explains, in a more advanced way, why he chose a certain date. I had data for this already but the correct interpretation of data gives more support to this fact.

And it clearly connects independent sources to eachother.

I was hoping for this peace of data to be the one to get me out of this theory, but instead it kicked me back in.

For me this means I cannot yet say that this is not him, though I wish I could say that. I would like to reject the whole theory and I hope to be able to do that, but Iīm afraid I donīt think that is very likely.

Pierre
                              Perhaps even a case of one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind! Okay, maybe that'll eventually turn out to be an exaggeration!
                              Last edited by John G; 10-08-2015, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gnote View Post
                                Absolutely. The other argument is that people want it to remain open because it's a money making "industry". Almost as if Ripperologists are some poor version of pharmaceutical executives deliberately holding back the the cure for cancer.

Ironically the people parroting this nonsense are often the few who've actually made money from the Jack the Ripper phenomena themselves after they've "solved" the case. When their theory is debunked they're the ones who stand to lose money.
                                I don't know of anyone who has "struck it rich" by writing about the Ripper.

Those Ripper tours at $30 pp. might be lucrative - you do your research once, commit it to memory, and sell Ripper Walks for the rest of your life.
                                Solving the case would have no impact on that line of income.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X