Chapman in America and the "ripper" killings there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapman in America and the "ripper" killings there

Roy Corduroy has pointed out an error on the casebook biog of Chapman, which says.

"Actually, there was only one similar murder, that of an elderly prostitute named Carrie Brown...in Jersey City, New Jersey on April 24, 1891, first strangled and then savagely mutilated."

Roy said:

"Carrie Brown was murdered in Manhattan, New York...Which probably doesn't matter to most folks, because in the final analysis it has absolutely nothing to do with the Whitechapel murders."

(I am disappointed that Roy's attempt to get casebook to correct the error came to nowt.)

It is yet another of those niggling little errors that creep in all the time. But it does matter, Roy, because if people are trying to do their own research, who can say which small error may send them barking up the wrong tree? If someone had a theory, say, that depended on their suspect being in New York and not New Jersey, a small error could throw their hypothesis into the bin.

Having now perused every mini-biography of Chapman that I can lay my hands on, I can tell you that none of them is without error.

I'll tell you something curious: everyone, everywhere recites as 'fact' that Chapman was in Jersey City. In fact there is not one single piece of evidence or proof that he was ever there. Isn't that remarkable?

There are no official documents placing Chapman in New Jersey (or anywhere in the US). There is no court witness testimony that he went there.

At his 16 police court hearings and four full days at the Old Bailey, not one of the witnesses mentioned New Jersey. Chapman's brother in law and sister in law are the only witnesses who mentioned his going to the USA and all they said was, he and Lucy went to America then came back to London. Some other witnesses mentioned that Chapman himself had told them he had 'been to America' but he never specified where.

When he attempted to claim US citizenship he said he was born in Boston; but at other times he said Michigan, and he claimed to have lived in Jersey City Heights but ONLY as a young teenager, dealing in horses. The only street names he could remember were those in New York (he claimed to have lived near the Hoboken Ferry).

The only reason people believe he lived in New Jersey was a press report in 1903, printed AFTER he had been sentenced to death, that stated that Lucy Kłosowska had claimed that her husband had threatened to kill her in a barbershop in Jersey City. The paper did not say whether she had told this to a newspaper reporter or to the police. Not that it matters a great deal, because even if the story came from her lips, it is her word alone, uncorroborated and not even under oath, for Lucy did not give evidence at his trial.

A week after the news report, another newspaper said that investigation by the Jersey City police revealed no trace of any Klosowski or Chapman having lived there (not that that proves he didn't -- but we can't prove he did).

I did investigate R. Michael Gordon's claims that Chapman was responsible for four murders, two in NJ and two in NY and find he arrived too late for the first and left too early for the last, which leaves two. Neither of the two were Ripper style OR Chapman-style.

Comments on this are extremely welcome -- especially if someone can provide proof that Chapman was ever in New Jersey!

Helena
    Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 09-11-2011, 01:28 PM.
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

isn't this amazing, i had always believed everything on Casebook about him, because i had no reason not to ! so where the hell did Chapman go....!!

amazing research well done to you.

it is very bad that this casebook website is hardly ever updated and it hasn't been since i've been around.

Comment

I think it's a question for volunteers. Helena, if you write to Stephen and offer him a brief dissertation on Chapman, I'm sure he'll be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm X View Post
        isn't this amazing, i had always believed everything on Casebook about him, because i had no reason not to ! so where the hell did Chapman go....!!

amazing research well done to you.

it is very bad that this casebook website is hardly ever updated and it hasn't been since i've been around.
        Thanks Malc. Every book says he went to NJ, and this is repeated on websites and on here and at JtR forums,it never crosses one's mind that it might not be true. I confess I was pretty staggered myself!

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
          Thanks Malc. Every book says he went to NJ, and this is repeated on websites and on here and at JtR forums,it never crosses one's mind that it might not be true. I confess I was pretty staggered myself!

i never believed that Chapman killed in America and this i was sure of 3 years ago, but i never would question that he might not even have been there..because you expect this to be accurate.

wouldn't it be amazing to find out where he went and then to discover Ripper murders there too
          Last edited by Malcolm X; 09-11-2011, 03:34 PM.

Comment

What about the ship's passenger list? Wasn't he on one? Seems this was discussed and in fact, just discussed again lately here on a thread, with Wolf joining in. Or was it on the other forum. I can't place it. A detailed discussion of just when he went to America.

I'm sure that Wolf Vanderlinden and Gareth Williams and others have an educated opinion on this matter. You might want to find out.

Roy
            Sink the Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
              What about the ship's passenger list?
              Roy
              All the ships went to New York, so it does not help us one iota to work out where he went once he disembarked.

Helena

Comment

All the ships went to New York, so it does not help us one iota to work out where he went once he disembarked.
                Hi Helena

I'd say almost certainly the Lower East Side, New York's Spitalfields
                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Oh I see! I thought you were questioning the basic premise of whether he ever went to America at all. In that case, if it is confirmed he went to America, but not confirmed that he was in New Jersey, then who knows, maybe as Stephen suggests he was living at the Lower East Side, Manhattan, where Carrie Brown was murdered.

You may yet turn this all on its head.

I am not the person to ask, or even the person to make a guess. All I have know is what's here on Casebook, the chapter in Sugden, and Natalie's article. As I said, I've never read any of Gordon's books because they are so roundly dissed here.

Roy
                  Sink the Bismark

Comment

Helena

There were no JTR style murders in the US in the Chapman timescale.

This is a myth which is regularly stated as fact in this benighted field of study.
                    Last edited by Stephen Thomas; 09-11-2011, 08:16 PM.
                    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                      Hi Helena

I'd say almost certainly the Lower East Side, New York's Spitalfields
                      What I mean is, we do not know if he went to New Jersey, or wherever!

Helena

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                        Helena

There were no JTR style murders in the US in the Chapman timescale.

This is a myth which is regularly stated as fact in this benighted field of study.
                        That is precisely what I have written in my book Stephen. It is listed in the final chapter "Myths about Chapman".

Helena

Comment

Roy Corduroy: "I thought you were questioning the basic premise of whether he ever went to America at all."

No, this was confirmed by the entire Baderski family PLUS Lucy and Chapman are on ships' passenger lists.

"who knows maybe as Stephen suggests he was living at the Lower East Side, Manhattan, where Carrie Brown was murdered."

Yes he could have been but they got to New York three months after she died.

"I've never read any of Gordon's books because they are so roundly dissed here."

I am not in the least surprised. Gordon's writing style is exciting and sensationalist, which keeps the story active and readable, but unfortunately his narrative is semi-fictionalised, which is FINE, so long as you state that clearly on the cover and don't purport to be purely factual.

Helena

Comment

Good luck with the new biography Helen. It looks like it may be full of information regarding Chapman's evil career, even if it has nothing that deals with the Whitechapel Murders seriously linking him to them.

There are only two things I can think of mentioning to you. One is Charlie Chaplin's story in his autobiography that he once got a glass of water from Chapman in the latter's pub but did not really drink any because (Chaplin claims this) he felt odd about taking it from Chapman.

The second was just an idea I once considered. I recently reviewed a book called THE MURDER OF THE CENTURY: THE GILDED AGE CRIME THAT SCANDALIZED A CITY & SPARKED THE TABLOID WARS by Paul Collins (New York: Crown Publishers, 2011) which deals with the 1897 murder of Willie Guldensuppe, a masseuse, by Martin Thorne and Augusta Nack. Thorne was executed for the killing in 1898, and Nack got a prison term. Guldensuppe was lured to the then Queens town of Woodside (this was the year before the county of Queens became part of the City of Greater New York). There he was stabbed and his body cut up. The body parts were discarded around the city and East River. Thorne was the one who cut up the body, and he was an immigrant (from Poland) and a barber. I thought that somehow elements of his crime might have been confused with the suspicions directed towards Chapman.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff

"Good luck with the new biography Helen."

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

"Charlie Chaplin's story in his autobiography"

Yes, I already have that story in the book! Chaplin, C (2003) My Autobiography Penguin, p344. Although, between me and you, I think Chaplin made it up.

"THE MURDER OF THE CENTURY...1897 murder of Willie Guldensuppe, a masseuse... an immigrant (from Poland) and a barber...might have been confused with the suspicions directed towards Chapman.

Well I never. Maybe the Poles just create a lot of barbers because they like to be well groomed (or are vain lol). But yes, odd coincidence. I don't think that is why Chapman is suspected of American crimes, that was entirely down to Abberline, who had some half baked idea that there was a series of ripper crimes in the USA. I have now put Abberline's name on the book cover, which I redesigned this morning.

Thanks v. much for bringing these to my attention.

Helena

{BTW masseuse = female. The male is a masseur.}

Comment

Working...
                              X