an Addy for Severin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
    Anyway,lets hope we may be able to fill these gaps by further research.
    Agreed, and on that subject, I thought I'd post this up - it's not entirely off topic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CRIM 1 84.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	657008

It's the Treasury's receipt of the exhibits presented in evidence against Klosowski at the Old Bailey, from the CRIM file at the National Archives. There is a list of the exhibits in the same file, corresponding to the numbers on the receipt, but I don't have a photo of it at the moment.

The C. Oldridge who signed it is my great great uncle.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

thanks for sharing Mark

fascinating.
      babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

Mark,thats really so interesting! Did you Gt great Uncle leave any clues about Chapman and what police thinking was then?

Comment

Hi Norma,

No - he probably wouldn't have known - he was just a filing clerk working in the Treasury, although it seems possible that he worked under Sir Edward Carson while he (Carson) was Solicitor General and perhaps later when he (Carson) was Attorney General. Carson prosecuted Klosowski, as you'll know.

But no, no hints, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Mark

*Edit - I've probably overstated the case a bit here. It's obvious that the receipt is signed on behalf of the Treasury Solicitor, who wouldn't necessarily have had much to do with loftier figures like the Solicitor General and the Attorney General. My ancestor is generally thought to have been a bit of a fantasist, and he probably never met anybody important in his life.
          Last edited by m_w_r; 05-25-2009, 09:31 PM. Reason: Misled by ancestor

Comment

Thanks Mark,
            I know what you mean ! Families are always very sceptical about anybody claiming to know anything a bit out of the ordinary. But it sounds like he may well have met some of these people in his daily tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post

in August 1898 move to Bishops Stortford to The Grapes Public House

until May 1899,then back to London to the Monument public house Southwark
              I have one to add in between the two above:

in August 1898 move to Bishops Stortford to The Grapes Public House

March 1899, back to London in lodgings at 8 Haberdasher Street with Bessie and Willie

Later that same month moved to the Monument public house Southwark
              Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 08-14-2011, 09:12 PM.
              Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Been thinking a lot about this again, particularly the theory that he was at the White Hart in 1888 (Levisohn's version) and the one that places him there in 1890 (Baderski and Schumann's version). Something has occurred to me that has not been suggested before.

During 1888 Kłosowski was living with the Radins for five months and by December had moved to Cable Street. We do not know which five months. He could have moved into the Radins as early as January or as late as July.

(We know that from Cable Street he moved to Commercial Street around May 1890 and was then, or shortly after, working at the White Hart.)

Could it be possible that either before living with the Radins, or after he left them but before he went to Cable Street, that he lived or worked at a third location? And could that place have been the White Hart? Perhaps he was an assistant there, then set himself up alone in Cable Street, then that failed (he did not thrive alone, or the lease ran out) and he got his old job back at the White Hart.

It occurred to me that this would explain why Levisohn saw him at the White Hart in 1888 (before Baderski or Schumann had met him) and why Baderski and Schumann place him there in 1890.

Any problems with this hypothesis?

Helena
                Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Working...
                X