Jack the Ripper is an extremely rare serial killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gnote View Post
    I don't doubt these findings, but is there a link to this research? I think it would be an interesting read.
    Here you go:

Comment

Doesn't mention that the victims were first choked into unconsciousness. They were not subdued by the knife. No, I'm wrong, it does in one place.
      Also the Victorians kept very good records. I wouldn't call this a good source exactly, nothing new.

C4
      Last edited by curious4; 10-03-2015, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
        Doesn't mention that the victims were first choked into unconsciousness. They were not subdued by the knife. No, I'm wrong, it does in one place.
        Also the Victorians kept very good records. I wouldn't call this a good source exactly, nothing new.

C4
        Thank you so much C4 for enlightening us all on this subject. Now everybody finally knows that the couse of death for all victims (I presume since you write "the victims") was strangulation.*irony*

Pierre

Comment

Cause of death

Hello Pierre

Sorry if I was a bit harsh. What I said was that they were choked into unconsciousness. Of course the cause of death was blood loss following severance of the carotid artery.

Your source seems to rely quite heavily on JTR books for information - something I thought you disapproved of, as they do contain inaccuracies. There is no evidence that all the women were prostituting themselves when killed. The keeper of the lodging house where Kate lived, for example, stated that she was never known to sell herself and Liz Stride had no need to that night, she had both money and something to sell if need be. The strangulation while they were lifting their skirts is not fact, but someone's theory. Whoever wrote this eould have done better to go directly to the sources for information.

We have come to expect better of you Pierre.

Best wishes
          C4

Comment

Cause of death

Hello Pierre

Sorry if I was a bit harsh. What I said was that they were choked into unconsciousness. Of course the cause of death was blood loss following severance of the carotid artery.

Your source seems to rely quite heavily on JTR books for information - something I thought you disapproved of, as they do contain inaccuracies. There is no evidence that all the women were prostituting themselves when killed. The keeper of the lodging house where Kate lived, for example, stated that she was never known to sell herself and Liz Stride had no need to that night, she had both money and something to sell if need be. The strangulation while they were lifting their skirts is not fact, but someone's theory. Whoever wrote this eould have done better to go directly to the sources for information.

We have come to expect better of you Pierre.

Best wishes
            C4

PS We know that the murders were unusual - that is why people are still trying to solve them

Comment

Sorry, duplicate post! Happened when I was editing, read the second pls.

Comment

It's possible that the victims were strangled, however, there is no conclusive evidence either way. The Keppel study is usesful, but should be considered critically. For instance, picquerism is cited as a main signature characteristic, even though it's at least questionable as to whether such a condition actually exists. And, as has been pointed out, picquerism is usually associated with sadism, but I don't see JtR as a sadist. Reliance on the HITS database, I.e. in determining the rarity of the crimes/signature characteristics, has already been discussed: I've no doubt that these crimes are very rare, nonetheless we obviously can't assume that data from 1880s London would equate with modern data from Washington State.

Comment

Hello John

Beg to differ. Tabram's face was said to be so swollen it was almost unrecognisable, Chapman's tongue was protruding, Kate's hands were clenched, all signs of strangulation. Even Stride's hand was so clenched that they had to prise the cachous from her hand. I do agree with you about the piquerism though.

Best wishes
                  C4
                  Last edited by curious4; 10-04-2015, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                    Hi,

Just wondering - how many of you out there know that Jack the Ripper is an extremely rare serial killer?

Research shows that his modus operandi is very unusual. For example Keppel et al (2005) has shown that the murders of this serial killer were linked by distinct personal signature characteristics.

They compared his murders to a 1981-1995 cohort of 3359 homicide cases in the US. The signature characteristics displayed in the murders of Jack the Ripper was found to be extremely rare.

There were only 6-8 cases where they found partly similar signatures in the whole cohort of 3359 cases.

So what do you think about this? And do you think it can effect the search for him and the research about him? How and why?

Pierre
                    I agree with this.

Pierre

Comment

Hi,

Just wondering - how many of you out there know that Jack the Ripper is an extremely rare serial killer?

Research shows that his modus operandi is very unusual. For example Keppel et al (2005) has shown that the murders of this serial killer were linked by distinct personal signature characteristics.

They compared his murders to a 1981-1995 cohort of 3359 homicide cases in the US. The signature characteristics displayed in the murders of Jack the Ripper was found to be extremely rare.

There were only 6-8 cases where they found partly similar signatures in the whole cohort of 3359 cases.

So what do you think about this? And do you think it can effect the search for him and the research about him? How and why?

Pierre
                      I think this means the case for WH Bury as the Ripper is an extremely strong one.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                        I think this means the case for WH Bury as the Ripper is an extremely strong one.

No John, just possible. Better than some.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                          No John, just possible. Better than some.

Steve
                          I disagree Steve if Jack is a rare serial killer than a killer who killed his ex-prostitute wife in a similar manner to the C5 must be seen as the leading candidate when compared to the rest.

Comment

Hello John
                            Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                            I disagree Steve if Jack is a rare serial killer than a killer who killed his ex-prostitute wife in a similar manner to the C5 must be seen as the leading candidate when compared to the rest.
                            Bury garotted his wife with a rope and hid her in a box, whereas Jack the Ripper slashed his victims' throats and left them in the open to be found. Even at this basic level, the MO and singatures are rather different, to say nothing of JTR's habit of inflicting extensive abdominal wounds and removing organs.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi,

Pierre
                              Its very unusual to group murders under 1 killer that are by evidence and definition incompatible too, so who knows what to think about this area of study at all?

There are 4 murders within a 5 person assumed group that have some similarities, and within that smaller group there are 3 that closely resemble each other in both Victimology and Methodology. Perhaps if people would follow a simple rule that dictates that things that are alike can be grouped we would have a much different perspective on these cases.

The desire to bundle murders despite their differences is a modern construct, due to the fact that modern serial killers can change their spots to elude detection or to explore new sensations. There is no indication to me that the killer of Polly and Annie sought to deviate from a preferred method and strategy.
                              Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                                Hello John
                                Bury garotted his wife with a rope and hid her in a box, whereas Jack the Ripper slashed his victims' throats and left them in the open to be found. Even at this basic level, the MO and singatures are rather different, to say nothing of JTR's habit of inflicting extensive abdominal wounds and removing organs.
                                But surely you can recognise the difference in murdering random prostitutes on the street, to murdering one's own spouse in the home?

Was Bury the Ripper? Dunno. But he's the only suspect who's a proven killer with a "Ripper-esque" signature, who lived in the East End during the murders. That puts him in a league of his own.

Comment

Working...
                                X