Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Abby Normal 4 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by harry 5 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Sam Flynn 8 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Batman 9 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Abby Normal 9 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Michael W Richards 10 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (95 posts)
General Discussion: Mary Kelly Jack the Ripper celebrity ghost box session interview - (3 posts)
Non-Fiction: Swanson: The Life and Times of a Victorian Detective - (1 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Nihilist Club ie. Berner Street - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #71  
Old 04-01-2018, 07:02 AM
Graham Graham is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Midlands
Posts: 3,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Fink was shot in the hallway and managed to stagger into his flat and locked the door behind him before he died. That was one theory posited by detectives and seems credible:

https://hubpages.com/politics/solvin...d-room-mystery
Astonishing! And no plausible motive was ever established?

There was a case I think early in WW2 when a man staying in a hotel in Edinburgh turned up at the door with a large part of his brain and skull missing by means of a bullet, yet who had walked from a local park after apparently shooting himself there with a large-calibre pistol in a suicide attempt. He died in hospital shortly afterwards. I read about this quite a long time ago, and I can't recall names or any other details. So it does appear that, even mortally wounded, it could be possible for a shooting victim to carry out tasks which on the surface would seem impossible for anyone so badly wounded.

Graham
__________________
We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Mayerling Mayerling is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Flushing, New York
Posts: 2,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Fink was shot in the hallway and managed to stagger into his flat and locked the door behind him before he died. That was one theory posited by detectives and seems credible:

https://hubpages.com/politics/solvin...d-room-mystery
Thanks for the site. I read the story and the solution that Fink bolted his own door before dying; and it is plausible. But we still don't know who shot him, and why?

Jeff
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-01-2018, 01:45 PM
Mayerling Mayerling is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Flushing, New York
Posts: 2,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Astonishing! And no plausible motive was ever established?

There was a case I think early in WW2 when a man staying in a hotel in Edinburgh turned up at the door with a large part of his brain and skull missing by means of a bullet, yet who had walked from a local park after apparently shooting himself there with a large-calibre pistol in a suicide attempt. He died in hospital shortly afterwards. I read about this quite a long time ago, and I can't recall names or any other details. So it does appear that, even mortally wounded, it could be possible for a shooting victim to carry out tasks which on the surface would seem impossible for anyone so badly wounded.

Graham
I haven't read the original novel, but in the 1933 film, "The Kennel Murder Case" (with William Powell here not as Nick Charles, but as Philo Vance), a murder victim (after being fatally injured) thinks he is okay, walks up to his bedroom, locks the door, and sits down to undress because he thinks he can refresh himself by going to bed. But he drops dead, and the police find a "locked room mystery" as a result. I'm sure the author, Van Dyne, was not aware of that 1942 mystery at the time, but maybe he was aware of some current death like it that tipped him off as to what a damaged human body could still do. Odd though.

Jeff
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:22 AM
Graham Graham is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Midlands
Posts: 3,390
Default

One of my older colleagues at the time of my first job (in 1963) was former RAF bomber crew. He told me that another crew at one of the bases he served at got badly shot up over Germany one night, and it was obvious that the pilot was wounded but stated he was still capable of flying the aircraft. They got back to base OK, made a good landing, but when another relieved crewman went to offer his congratulations he found the pilot stone dead at the controls.
He just did what he had to do.....

Graham
__________________
We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:33 AM
AmericanSherlock AmericanSherlock is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
One of my older colleagues at the time of my first job (in 1963) was former RAF bomber crew. He told me that another crew at one of the bases he served at got badly shot up over Germany one night, and it was obvious that the pilot was wounded but stated he was still capable of flying the aircraft. They got back to base OK, made a good landing, but when another relieved crewman went to offer his congratulations he found the pilot stone dead at the controls.
He just did what he had to do.....

Graham
Were you in the British air force Graham?

Interesting story
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 04-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Graham Graham is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Midlands
Posts: 3,390
Default

Quote:
Were you in the British air force Graham?
Nein, mein freund!

I wasn't born until after WW2 ended. The guy who told me that story was a rarity in himself - a rear-gunner who survived the War. I had no reason to believe he was shooting me a line.

Graham
__________________
We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-02-2018, 02:17 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
One of my older colleagues at the time of my first job (in 1963) was former RAF bomber crew. He told me that another crew at one of the bases he served at got badly shot up over Germany one night, and it was obvious that the pilot was wounded but stated he was still capable of flying the aircraft. They got back to base OK, made a good landing, but when another relieved crewman went to offer his congratulations he found the pilot stone dead at the controls.
He just did what he had to do.....

Graham
I heard the same story from an old bloke who was also retired RAF.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-02-2018, 08:57 PM
Ginger Ginger is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 536
Default

I've heard a number of similar stories, but have no reason to doubt them. People who have been horribly injured can hang onto consciousness and life by sheer willpower when something important, such as the lives of their mates, depends on them putting off death for a little bit.
__________________
- Ginger
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-03-2018, 03:16 AM
Harry D Harry D is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
I've heard a number of similar stories, but have no reason to doubt them. People who have been horribly injured can hang onto consciousness and life by sheer willpower when something important, such as the lives of their mates, depends on them putting off death for a little bit.
I recall another case that shows the power of human endurance. A couple were attacked with an axe while they slept. Despite suffering a fatal head-wound, the husband got up and went about his usual morning routine before he inevitably pegged it. His wife, however, survived the attack but was left disfigured. Their son was bang to rights as the murderer and I think he was prosecuted, but the mother refuses to believe he did it.
__________________
Hail to the king, baby!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-03-2018, 08:18 AM
Mayerling Mayerling is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Flushing, New York
Posts: 2,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
I recall another case that shows the power of human endurance. A couple were attacked with an axe while they slept. Despite suffering a fatal head-wound, the husband got up and went about his usual morning routine before he inevitably pegged it. His wife, however, survived the attack but was left disfigured. Their son was bang to rights as the murderer and I think he was prosecuted, but the mother refuses to believe he did it.
In the 1905 case of the Stratton Brothers (the case that established fingerprinting as a tool against criminals in England), they had attacked the couple who ran a small shop just before it opened, and killed both, but the husband (despite horrible wounds to his head) managed to open the shop door, possibly to see if the killers were still on the street. When he saw they weren't he shut the door, and shortly after died. A number of passers-by saw him in his state, and the police soon arrived.

Jeff
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.