No announcement yet.

Casebook Examiner No. 4 (October 2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casebook Examiner No. 4 (October 2010)

In less than a week another issue of Casebook Examiner will be in subscribers’ mailboxes. Moreover, it promises to be another exciting, informative issue.

Caroline Morris leads off with an editorial on the “seasons of the case.” This is followed by the concluding part of Roger J. Palmer’s series about Walter Andrews’ 1888 visit to Canada and its implications in regard to Dr. Francis Tumblety. David Gates then weighs in with an examination of the Whitechapel economy that should surprise many. Finally, the concluding chapters of Jabez S. Balfour’s “Crimson Crimes” series on Jack the Ripper along with an essay on his prime suspects by Tom Wescott and an analysis of possible sources by Don Souden.

The features section has another full spectrum of reviews that include not only books, fact and fiction, but looks at new documentaries and even iPhone applications. “Open Book Exam” takes a look at the works of Edmund Crispin, “CSI:Whitechapel” focuses this issue on Catherine Eddowes, Stewart P. Evans answers your questions about book collecting and “Utimate Tour” takes a holiday in Herne Bay. Meanwhile, “On The Case” not only reports the latest news in the field, but this month’s Extra provides an in-depth report on the recent London Conference. Finally, the issue closes, as always, with Rob Clack’s fascinating “Scenes of Crime” photo feature.

If you are not yet a subscriber you will want to subscribe now to receive issue four next week. Go to www.casebook.org/examiner for full details.

Originally posted by Casebook Examiner
    the concluding part of Roger J. Palmer’s series about Walter Andrews’ 1888 visit to Canada and its implications in regard to Dr. Francis Tumblety.
    You can practically hear Simon Wood and the boys sharpening their knives. Should be a great read and even better debate.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

And...

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
      You can practically hear Simon Wood and the boys sharpening their knives. Should be a great read and even better debate.
      Yours truly,
      Tom Wescott
      And the gentle swish of Wescott's wooden spoon.
      SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

**** stirring? Moi? I hardly think so. It's not required in Tumblety world, where the **** never has time to settle. Perhaps you have me confused with Jeff Leahy, who can be seen invading John Bennett's private space in the latest edition of Ripperologist.

According to Simon, a researcher (not Simon himself) has made a discovery which will render RJ's likely conclusions in Part 3 null and void. I'm hoping this discovery will come to light in the wake of publication of RJ's final chapter, and we can see if it lives up to what Simon says.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          **** stirring? Moi? I hardly think so. It's not required in Tumblety world, where the **** never has time to settle. Perhaps you have me confused with Jeff Leahy, who can be seen invading John Bennett's private space in the latest edition of Ripperologist.

According to Simon, a researcher (not Simon himself) has made a discovery which will render RJ's likely conclusions in Part 3 null and void. I'm hoping this discovery will come to light in the wake of publication of RJ's final chapter, and we can see if it lives up to what Simon says.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
          Oh, I'll take that bet.
          The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
          http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

What bet?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

"seasons of the case"

Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.

Comment

OK, that's too cryptic for me. Too newbie to get it?
                Best regards,
                Maria

Comment

Scott Nelson is the sage of Whitechapel, to be found on the River Thymes.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

OK, but who's Rosemary (Clooney?) and who's Parsley? (The dude who wrote the book with Barnett as a suspect? Almost...)
                    Best regards,
                    Maria

Comment

are you going?

Hello Maria. To get understanding, I counsel thee to hie thee to Scarborough. Fair enough?

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Hello, Lynn. Thanks for the hints. Now I get it. You're the true gentleman of Ripperology, helping out the lyrically challenged “damsels in distress“. Naturally I knew the ballad in question, but had forgotten about the verse listing Italian condiments! By the way, I LOVED it when they made fun of this ballad in Lost in translation.
                        Now, what all this has to do with Examiner 4 is still a mystery.
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

Parsley was a lion.

This will be of significance only to British posters of a certain age.

Regards,

Simon
                          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

The herbs by Thomas Michael Bond (not James Bond). But you know what? Before you feel impressed, I ought to admit that I checked in Wikipedia.
                            Best regards,
                            Maria

Comment

This is Parsley. He was the star of the British children's TV show: 'The Herbs' in the late '60s.

Comment

Working...
                              X