Taman Shud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
    Also, the deceased man looks older than 48 to me but maybe I'm confusing what 48 looks like now compared to 64 year ago.
    I think you may be interpreting postmortem skin slippage as wrinkles. You can pretty much assume his skin was tighter and less wrinkled-looking in life. If you have ever had the misfortune of seeing the unembalmed corpse of a child that is a few days dead, it's shocking how wrinkled the face looks.

How is it that suicide is ruled out? because the means of death is so well-obscured? the "Taman Shud" strikes me as a suicide note.

The code, or whatever, may have been an attempt to work out some personal code for the note, which proved not worth the trouble, and "Taman Shud" was Plan B.

Comment

BTW, does anyone else think one of the images is reversed? the right eye and ear on the ID look like the left eye and ear on the death picture.

Comment

"California Sunday" has an interesting article about current developments in the Taman Shud mystery. https://stories.californiasunday.com.../somerton-man/
        - Ginger

Comment

Does a crime scene photo of Somerton Man exist?
          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
            Does a crime scene photo of Somerton Man exist?
            Not that I've ever stumbled across but I haven't really searched.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
              Not that I've ever stumbled across but I haven't really searched.
              I don't see one on the internet but that doesn't mean that police don't have one they haven't released.
              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Writer of a popular fictional detective story series, here in Oz, Kerry Greenwood as written a (non fiction) book about the murder, "Tamam Shud: The Somerton Man Mystery".
                dustymiller
                aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                  "California Sunday" has an interesting article about current developments in the Taman Shud mystery. https://stories.californiasunday.com.../somerton-man/
                  What a fascinating article on Somerton man, Ginger. Thanks for posting it. It was typical I suppose that during the 1940/1950's, the 'Russian spy' theory would come up.

It does appear that SM wasn't an Aussie. When I first saw that photo years ago he seemed to me to be Eastern European in appearance. I suppose Abbott has, in his obsessive way, been checking through dance companies in the U.S., where SM probably had spent some time, to see if any male dancers had disappeared after the war.

Comment

Stan,
                    There is a Photo of the Somerton Man as found.It has been published.
                    He was still clutching the remains of a cigarette ,and there was cigarette ash on the collar of the coat.It appears a peacefull death.
                    Regards.

Comment

New news?

An unidentified man found dead on an Australian beach has baffled investigators for decades. A new DNA analysis links the “Somerton Man” to Thomas Jefferson and Native Americans.
                      “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Good news,
                        I have a list of know deserters from ships visiting around that time.I will check when I have tim.

Comment

last word should be time.

Comment

Some may be interested

G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Interesting news indeed! Thank you,GUT.
                              What do people think of the animated portrait of the mystery man's face? The creator did a very nice job with subtle facial expressions.
                              I remember reading this thread years ago and being intrigued by the hints of espionage that the story seemed to have.
                              I hope our Australian friends will keep us updated on the results of the exhumation.
                              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                              ---------------
                              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                              ---------------

Comment

Very interesting! A link to the United States. Apparently the petition mentioned at the end of this article has been successful at last. Wonder what else they will learn?
                                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                                ---------------
                                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                                ---------------

Comment

Working...
                                X