Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by harry 1 minute ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Jon Guy 21 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Varqm 2 hours ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Harry D 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (40 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (13 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (9 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (4 posts)
Non-Fiction: The Whitechapel Murders of 1888: Another Dead End? - (2 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1541  
Old 12-12-2017, 08:33 AM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 2,507
Default

Oh and of course Julia would have immediately recognised the coins? She wouldn’t possibly have thought them Qualtrough’s own coins?
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1542  
Old 12-12-2017, 08:40 AM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 2,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodCrosby View Post
And of course no-one would ever think of using the telephone to pull off a scam... Or not even trying unless it was "guaranteed" to work?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=te...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Do you actually ever read any of your own stuff before pressing "Post"? Just askin'

If you put a plan together Baldrick the first part of the plan, the bit that you tend to focus on, the issue that might cause you sleepless nights is......that you want it to work. You don’t leave elements to chance as far as you can. In this case Parry knew how reluctant Julia was to let people in. This would be the first part of any plan. How do we get in? In your world the answer is ‘well, although Julia never admits strangers (and whatever you say, Qualtrough was a stranger to her) let’s just hope that she breaks the habit of a lifetime and let’s you in. If not, we’ll go for a pint and a game of dominoes. Come on!!!
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1543  
Old 12-12-2017, 09:05 AM
RodCrosby RodCrosby is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: near Liverpool, UK
Posts: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Oh and of course Julia would have immediately recognised the coins? She wouldn’t possibly have thought them Qualtrough’s own coins?
Thank-you for unconsciously answering my last question.

Every woman of her house knows her own house, her own kitchen and her own hearth, and whether or not coins have suddenly appeared on it.

I submit Julia's first thought would not be "Oh, Mr. Qualtrough must have innocently dropped his own coins there, for some bizarre reason. [And I'm too stupid to ask myself 'What the hell was he doing in my kitchen, anyway?']"

when a more obvious immediate reaction springs to mind...

Your favourite programs are on at the moment on CBeebies. You surely don't want to miss them?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBeebies
__________________
"I make a point of never having any prejudices, and of following docilely where fact may lead me."

Sherlock Holmes, in The Adventure of The Reigate Squires
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1544  
Old 12-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 2,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodCrosby View Post
You need to study this case a little more before expounding on it, grasshopper.

OLIVER: Had you at that time considered the possibility of a man coming and giving the name “ Qualtrough ” to your wife ? Looking at it now, if someone did come and give the name of “ Qualtrough ” to your wife on that night, do you think she would have let him in ?
WALLACE: Seeing I had gone to meet a Mr. Qualtrough, I think she would, because she knew all about the business.


OLIVER: If she had let him in, where would she have taken him ?
WALLACE: Into the front room. There is no question about that.
A rather obvious response to that one is:

If Wallace set up the non-existent Qualtrough as his wife’s killer then of course he would say that his wife would have let him in!
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1545  
Old 12-12-2017, 09:37 AM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 2,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodCrosby View Post
Thank-you for unconsciously answering my last question.

Every woman of her house knows her own house, her own kitchen and her own hearth, and whether or not coins have suddenly appeared on it.

I submit Julia's first thought would not be "Oh, Mr. Qualtrough must have innocently dropped his own coins there, for some bizarre reason. [And I'm too stupid to ask myself 'What the hell was he doing in my kitchen, anyway?']"

when a more obvious immediate reaction springs to mind...

Your favourite programs are on at the moment on CBeebies. You surely don't want to miss them?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBeebies
Remind me again where the body was found? Where’s the evidence that Julia saw the coins?
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1546  
Old 12-12-2017, 09:55 AM
RodCrosby RodCrosby is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: near Liverpool, UK
Posts: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
A rather obvious response to that one is:

If Wallace set up the non-existent Qualtrough as his wife’s killer then of course he would say that his wife would have let him in!
He might... but he might equally be telling the truth.

We know he was telling the truth that his wife knew all about the Qualtrough message, so that is a point in his favour...
__________________
"I make a point of never having any prejudices, and of following docilely where fact may lead me."

Sherlock Holmes, in The Adventure of The Reigate Squires
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1547  
Old 12-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 2,507
Default

I can’t recall, and I don’t have any books with me, remind me how we know that please?
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1548  
Old 12-12-2017, 10:10 AM
RodCrosby RodCrosby is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: near Liverpool, UK
Posts: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Remind me again where the body was found? Where’s the evidence that Julia saw the coins?
Dead people obviously can tell no tales, so it's not a useful question.

Solving crimes involves drawing reasonable inferences, and it's a reasonable inference in this case that Julia noticed the coins, in "her domain", the kitchen.

Her body was found in the parlour, with a mackintosh, as you know.
__________________
"I make a point of never having any prejudices, and of following docilely where fact may lead me."

Sherlock Holmes, in The Adventure of The Reigate Squires
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1549  
Old 12-12-2017, 10:24 AM
RodCrosby RodCrosby is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: near Liverpool, UK
Posts: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
I can’t recall, and I don’t have any books with me, remind me how we know that please?
Statement of Amy Wallace, who had visited the house on the afternoon of the murder day, and stated that Julia had mentioned the message received at the chess club the night before, and that William would be heading to "Calderstones" that evening on business...

It seems unlikely that a murderer would go to the trouble of telling his intended victim what his 'alibi' was going to be...

It also tends to negate the ludicrous idea that Wallace "came down naked under a mackintosh to have a spontaneous musical interlude with Julia in the parlour immediately before killing her..."

"I'm flattered, William, really I am, but you really need to be running along to your appointment with Mr. Qualtrough!"
__________________
"I make a point of never having any prejudices, and of following docilely where fact may lead me."

Sherlock Holmes, in The Adventure of The Reigate Squires
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #1550  
Old 12-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 2,507
Default

No, it’s not a reasonable inference, it’s an inference that helps your theory. It appears to be ok for you to infer but no one else is allowed the luxury.

It’s not a useful question because we can’t possibly know that Julia saw the coins and so became suspicious. Clutching at straws. Pure and simple.

And speaking of unreasonable.

So, for this to work are you saying, Q and J are in the Parlour. Q makes some excuse and leaves the room. He nips into the kitchen and steals the cash, putting the box back because he doesn’t wish to be caught, then drops coins on the floor, doesn’t bother picking them up, goes back to the Parlour, then Julia leaves the room, goes into the kitchen, sees the coins, becomes suspicions and tries to leave?
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.