Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    Alec Guinness:

Tunes of Glory
    Last Holiday
    The Man in the White Suit
    The Lavender Hill Mob
    Kind Hearts and Coronets
    The Bridge On the River Kwai
    The Detective

Peter Sellers:

I'm All Right Jack
    The Naked Truth
    Two Way Stretch
    Heaven's Above
    The Mouse That Roared
    The Waltz of the Toreadors
    The Wrong Arm of the Law
    Lolita
    Dr. Strangelove
    The Pink Panther
    A Shot in the Dark
    The Wrong Box (Cameo part, but a wonderful one - as is the film)

Terry-Thomas:

Make Mine Mink
    Too Many Crooks
    Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
    Wow, I never saw a Peter Sellers list that did not include Being There.. I would add The Party (1968) as well, I know so many people hate that film... but it's funny... I think so anyway.

I'll add a Peter O'toole list ( again i'll put in order of year..not best etc..

1- Lawrence of Arabia
    2- Lord Jim
    3- Goodbye Mr. Chips
    4- ***The Ruling Class*** ( also one of my favorite Ripper Films!!)
    5- Rogue Male
    6- Caligula
    7- The Stunt Man (this ssems to be almost forgotten, pitty, it is a great film!!)
    8- My Favorite Year ( This is actually my favorite film ever made...for very personal reasons)

Steadmund Brand--
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

For Lynch, I do like his more Lynchian stuff... Inland Empire, Twin Peaks, etc. But the Elephant Man, I feel, is an odd mixture of his weirdness mixed with a seriousness and an emotional power and honesty that his later films lack a bit.

RH[/QUOTE]

Oh, Don't get me wrong...I do enjoy Elephant Man.. I think it is about a stunning looking a film as Lynch has ever made...but It was meant to ( Mel Brooks hired Lynch to make it because of Eraserhead.. so the look is close, just for Elephant Man he had a better budget ) and powerful.. you can say that again ; it's the only film I know that makes some people cry and yet scares the hell out of others ( I know a few people who are terrified of the film)… As far as honesty goes…. Well… I have to disagree there.. something like 90% of the film is made up.. even for a “ based on a true story” film that is quite a bit……..now, that being said..the makeup is stunning, the acting way above par and the overall look of the film is as I said stunning….just, well I am a huge Lynch fan ( except Dune… we can pretend that never happened) so Elephant Man isn’t my top pick 

Don’t mean to be so long winded… films are a bit of a passion here…and I must say. I think you have excellent taste in films!

Steadmund Brand
      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
        Hello Steadman. You might elevate "Son of Frankenstein" to #1 of the Universal horror genre. Where else can you get Basil Rathbone, Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff and Lionel Atwill in the same film?

(OK, I admit "House of Frankenstein" also had George Zucco--but it was all wasted.)

Cheers.
        LC
        Son of Frankenstein is great!! hard to argue, but Bride has the old blind man bit.. which just may be the most moving side plot in ANY horror film (and gave us a great parody in Young Frankenstein)

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
          This Island Earth is the ****.
          Yes it is!
          Its my favorite of the 50's scifi. I never get tired of watching it.
          it starts off as this weird mystery, then the strange gathering at the(aliens) house-slowly realizing something is amiss(although the big heads should have given it away-haha), escape scene, and then launches into full blown 50's scifi brilliance! Great ending too!

Even the beginning credits, with the cool shot of space and eery scifi music is awesome. Great flick.
          "Is all that we see or seem
          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Son of Frankenstein would have benefited greatly from having the kid removed. "Well hallo!" Ugh!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
              Alec Guinness:

Tunes of Glory
              Last Holiday
              The Man in the White Suit
              The Lavender Hill Mob
              Kind Hearts and Coronets
              The Bridge On the River Kwai
              The Detective

Peter Sellers:

I'm All Right Jack
              The Naked Truth
              Two Way Stretch
              Heaven's Above
              The Mouse That Roared
              The Waltz of the Toreadors
              The Wrong Arm of the Law
              Lolita
              Dr. Strangelove
              The Pink Panther
              A Shot in the Dark
              The Wrong Box (Cameo part, but a wonderful one - as is the film)

Terry-Thomas:

Make Mine Mink
              Too Many Crooks
              Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
              I would add pink panther and Dr, Strangelove to my list of comedies for sure-"no fighting in the war room". just that line alone-classic!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Great thread! Its giving me some great ideas for my Xmas list.

The Lost skeleton of Cadavra is especially catching my attention.

Anyone care to expound more on it?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  Son of Frankenstein would have benefited greatly from having the kid removed. "Well hallo!" Ugh!
                  hahahah, I kinda like the bit where he does his impression of the monster ( just the line " And he wore a big furry coat" is fantastic )..Oh how I love these films!!

Steadmund Brand

Comment

I am so glad folks are digging this thread.. I know I have been starting a list of films I must see.. I hope others feel the same

Guess I'll add some Sci-fi films

1- Metropolis (the fully restored version... I was lucky enough to be at the world premiere of that in 2010..)
                    2- Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back
                    3- The Day The Earth Stood Still- (1951!!!)
                    4- Planet of the Apes- (1968!!!!)
                    5- Blade Runner (pick your version haha)
                    6- A Clockwork Orange
                    7- Brazil
                    8- Rollerball- (1975!!!)
                    9- Time After Time- (yet another fun Ripper film)
                    10- Plan 9 from Outer Space (ok stop laughing now…I don’t care what anyone says, it is a fun film, that keeps your interest EVERYTIME you watch it, it’s never boring.. which is more than can be said for the “blockbuster” films of today!!!!)
                    11- Escape from New York
                    12- Galaxy Quest- (great spoof and actually a good piece of sci-fi)
                    13- Last Man on Earth (Vincent Price…need I say more!)
                    14- The Black Hole (Yeah it’s Disney’s attempt at Star Wars….but is quite good.. and dark for a Disney film…just the fate of Anthony Perkins alone is not very Disney like )

More to come if needed

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                      Great thread! Its giving me some great ideas for my Xmas list.

The Lost skeleton of Cadavra is especially catching my attention.

Anyone care to expound more on it?
                      It's a 50's era B movie sci fi flick made about 10 years ago. Intrepid scientist, Donna Reed stereotypical wife, Ancient psychic skeleton, evil scientist, aliens, mutants, Atmospherium, mysterious mutilations, and the trusty and loyal Ranger Brad.

It's in black and white. The plot is appropriately dumb. The characters are stereotyped, and the dialogue is brilliant.

Lattis- "Who knows how many untold millions will die by its hand?"
                      Kro-Bar- "If only it did have hands, my woman. If only it did have hands."

I've showed this movie to a ton of people, and the only person who didn't like it was my sister, who doesn't like anything.
                      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

In no particular order:

1. Once Upon a Time in America (1984)

The greatest gangster film ever made. It runs to 229 minutes, but they cut it to hell in America where it ran for 139 minutes. Doh!

2.Where's Poppa (1970)

One of the greatest "bad taste" movies ever committed to celluloid.

3. Portrait of Jennie (1948)

The most beguiling fantasy movie ever made.

4. Casablanca (1942)

Probably the most perfect movie ever made, and certainly the most quotable.

"What watch?"
                        "Ten watch."
                        "Such much?

5. Blade Runner (1982)

An astonishing vision of the future, which has the temerity to ask the big questions.

"All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain."

6. Withnail and I (1987)

A hymn to the sixties, that has the balls to suggest that we deserved what Thatcher was about to do to us because "as Presuming Ed here has so consistently pointed out, we have failed to paint it black."

7. Cyrano De Bergerac (1990)

A great film about the nobility and cruelty of love, with a towering performance by Gerard Depardieu.

Roxane: 100 men... what courage!
                        Cyrano: Oh, I have been braver since then.

8. True Confessions (1981)

Robert De Niro gives the performance of his life in this stunning movie detailing the corruption at the heart of 1940's L.A.
                        All sunshine, smiles, deceit and death.

9. Citizen Kane (1941)

Every time I watch it, I marvel at the sheer bravura of Welles in his first stint at directing.

10. Throne of Blood (1957)

Kurosawa's Samurai version of Macbeth is a thrilling tribute to a great director and his leading man Toshiro Mifune.
                        Someone once described this as the most colourful black and white film ever made.

Comment

Abby.. I see This is Spinal Tap on your list of comedy..how about a list of "Rock-N-Roll" movies.. with real bands/musicians (Tap does count as they did write and play all their own music.. and they were actually better than the bands they were mocking.. sad but true). again.. not in any order

1- This is Spinal Tap- Spinal Tap
                          2- Help- The Beatles
                          3- Hard Day's Night- The Beatles
                          4- Spice World- Spice Girls-- i know so many people say they were a joke... and if you saw the film, they agreed with you and totally mocked the whole situation, clever and cute film!
                          4- Rock-n-Roll High school- the Ramones
                          5- The Commitments
                          6- The Blues Brothers (not just one of the best bands ever put together.. but performances by legends John Lee Hooker, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles and Cab Calloway!!
                          7- 200 Motels- Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
                          8- the Harder They Come- Jimmy Cliff
                          9- the Rutles- The Rutles (yes it counts!!)
                          10-Head- The Monkees (if you didn't know, YES the Monkees made an ACID film written by Jack Nicholson/Bob Rafelson.. and a funny film with some great music at that)
                          11- Flame- Slade- this may be the best film ever made about the sleazy side of the music industry...brave move on the part of Slade, they were Top of the Pops darlings at this time and could have made a cute little comedy...but instead they made this movie. Flame may have hurt their record sales with the kids... but If I were them I would be proud of this gem of a film

Steadmund Brand
                          Last edited by Steadmund Brand; 12-12-2014, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                            8. True Confessions (1981)

Robert De Niro gives the performance of his life in this stunning movie detailing the corruption at the heart of 1940's L.A.
                            All sunshine, smiles, deceit and death.
                            It's also, in my opinion, the best Dahlia inspired movie so a true-crime film, in a fashion. I think it's also one of the best brother movies of all time.
                            This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Island of Terror
                              Fiend Without A Face
                              The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (1974 - I think that's the one I saw)

Comment

The Song Remains The Same - Led Zeppelin

Comment

Working...
                                X