Possible suspect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible suspect

When reading the information on Martha Tabram here on Casebook, it stated that Mary Ann Connolly (Pearly Poll), Elizabeth Allen, and Eliza Cooper suggested that a local man may have committed the murder. But apparently the suspect was never named and it seems as if the police did not do much investigation. Why would the name of the suspect be withheld? And why would the Police not investigate further? It seems with three people stating that this person was of interest that there would have been better follow-up. Why is the name not recorded in some document somewhere???

Suspect

Just wanted to add that I am new so the name(suspect) may be in some other source. If this is the case, sorry for the inconvenience.

Comment

Hey tn-vol (A Vol fan? That mean you're in Knoxville? Any chance your coming to the conference?),

It almost certainly was investigated and recorded in documents somewhere, it's just that so many of those documents -- including, most notably, the suspects file -- are now missing. It'd be nice if we knew what happened, but, other than speculating on which suspect that might have been assuming it's one of the ones we even know about when hundreds of peopple were investigated, there's not much we can do.

Dan Norder
      Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
      Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Here's the full quote from the Turner page:
        One final note of interest concerns 'Pearly Poll." The September 20th edition of the Echo published the following on the Whitechapel Murders:

Inspector Reid, Detective Sergeant Enright, Sergeant Goadby and other officers then worked on a slight clue given them by 'Pearly Poll.' It was not thought much of at the time; but what was gleaned from her and other statements given by Elizabeth Allen and Eliza Cooper of 35 Dorset Street, Spitalfields, certain of the authorities have had cause to suspect a man actually living not far from Buck's Row. At present, however, there is only suspicion against him.

Whatever the case, the clue and the suspect are still a mystery, and no other known citations to this effect are still in existance today.

It seems as though the police did pursue the inquiry to the best of their ability, but that it led nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
          Here's the full quote from the Turner page:
          One final note of interest concerns 'Pearly Poll." The September 20th edition of the Echo published the following on the Whitechapel Murders:

Inspector Reid, Detective Sergeant Enright, Sergeant Goadby and other officers then worked on a slight clue given them by 'Pearly Poll.' It was not thought much of at the time; but what was gleaned from her and other statements given by Elizabeth Allen and Eliza Cooper of 35 Dorset Street, Spitalfields, certain of the authorities have had cause to suspect a man actually living not far from Buck's Row. At present, however, there is only suspicion against him.

Whatever the case, the clue and the suspect are still a mystery, and no other known citations to this effect are still in existance today.

It seems as though the police did pursue the inquiry to the best of their ability, but that it led nowhere.
          I wonder if this might be Leather Apron??????
          Steve

Comment

Possible suspect

I had not thought of Leather Apron. Very interesting idea. It is too bad that the suspects name did not survive somewhere.

P.S. Yea I am a vol fan, and have lived in Knoxville when I went to school there and am hoping to come to the conference. It would be my first one.

Comment

Great. I hope you do make the conference. The more the merrier.

Dan Norder
              Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
              Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

leather Apron

The big problem is we just don't know what to make of Pearly Poll's story. She also, as we know, failed to identify anyone who didn't have a credible alibi during the line up of soldiers she attended. If we're looking at two killers, (one for Tabram and one for the five canonical victims), It would help toknow if we are still considering John Pizer as Leather Apron. If not that leaves a very wide suspect pool. Kindest regards,
                Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Working...
                X