No announcement yet.

A New Ripper Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone writes a book stating Jack the Ripper was an invention of the press and I raised a point that someone has written a book stating other wise.

Why is this off topic?

Comment

Hi All,

Stride wasn't identified as Elizabeth Gustafsdotter until Tuesday 2nd October when Sven Ollsen, clerk at the Swedish Church, viewed her body.

I would therefore suggest that the entry in the parish register was written at some point after this [maybe on the same day], at which time the name JtR was common currency.

The date "30th September" would refer to the date on which she died rather than the date on which the parish register entry was made.

Regards,

Simon
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Common Sense

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
        Hi All,
        Stride wasn't identified as Elizabeth Gustafsdotter until Tuesday 2nd October when Sven Ollsen, clerk at the Swedish Church, viewed her body.
        I would therefore suggest that the entry in the parish register was written at some point after this [maybe on the same day], at which time the name JtR was common currency.
        The date "30th September" would refer to the date on which she died rather than the date on which the parish register entry was made.
        Regards,
        Simon
        Great to see some common sense Simon. I was making the point that Stride's identification did not appear in the press until 1 October, just as the name 'Jack the Ripper' did also.
        SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

That’s a fair enough point Simon, you will note from my first post that I accepted that the possibility was raised that it was written retrospectively and that Andy and Sue’s book suggests the possibility that the name Jack the Ripper preceded press reports, which were available on 1st and 2nd but not published in full until the 4th.

Pirate

Comment

Stewart,

I already planned on getting Andrew's book, but after reading your posts, I'm even more anxious to do so. I just plunked down $5.23 for Chris Scott's Ramsgate book. Obviously, with a fat price tag like that, Scott is just in this for the money. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to reading it. I also just received Dave Yost's Stride book, which I'm a little nervous about reading, but still excited to have a new Ripper book that I can trust is not totally stupid.

Pirate Jack,

Please do not ever call yourself a journalist again. You are nothing of the sort. You and Grim should go start your own website called AssHat & Dumbass. You could smooch on each other, each pretending the other is a real live girl. Following the lovemaking, you could pour yourselves a glass of Fine Spanish Brandy and worship at the alter of AP Wolf.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Don´t read Yost´s book, Tom! You will not like the conclusions he draws...

But it´s a thoroughly good read as far as I´m concerned!

The best,
              Fisherman

Comment

Yost took almost 10 years "off" from Ripperology, so I'm a bit concerned that will effect his understanding of the case. There's always new evidence and new thought out there a writer should keep up with, and from what little I've seen, I'm not sure he's had his finger on the pulse of Lizology. Yost was a big influence on me back in the olden days of Ripperology (1998-99) and I believe he played a HUGE part in sending a standard of Ripper journalism in the mags that continues to this day. So I have huge respect for him. He was also kind enough to mention me in the acknowledgements, so believe me when I say I REALLY want to like the book. As for him having differing conclusions, who knows, maybe he'll change my mind on some points. Lord knows I've changed my mind a LOT over the years, and I doubt I've stopped yet!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                  Stewart,

Pirate Jack,

Please do not ever call yourself a journalist again. You are nothing of the sort. You and Grim should go start your own website called AssHat & Dumbass. You could smooch on each other, each pretending the other is a real live girl. Following the lovemaking, you could pour yourselves a glass of Fine Spanish Brandy and worship at the alter of AP Wolf.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                  God, I’m now being gummed by casebooks number one half-wit Tom Wescott.

What is it with you people and your need to reduce everything to personal insult and personal offensive attack?.

I raise a perfectly valid point that it has been suggested that the name Jack the Ripper existed on the Street before the press published the name ‘Jack the Ripper’.

I quote Andy and Sues book in a polite and sensible way suggesting that there is another point of view to that expressed by Andrew Cook’s book. And gave useful reference quotes. It was a perfectly valid observation for people with a genuine interest in the subject.

The debate is soon reduced to ner nicky nah nah schoolyard comments and a childish attack on another innocent poster.

No wonder so much sensible debate seems to have been quashed around here…

Normally I’d revert to Sarcastic humour and a little irony but I just cant be bothered with you today Tom.

Pirate

Comment

I suggest that we stop labelling threads with titles like "New Ripper Book". After all, at some point, all Ripper books were new. Titles like that make it difficult to locate the discussion of a particular book.

Comment

View?

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
                      ...I quote Andy and Sues book in a polite and sensible way suggesting that there is another point of view to that expressed by Andrew Cook’s book. And gave useful reference quotes. It was a perfectly valid observation for people with a genuine interest in the subject...
                      Pirate
                      Well, pray tell me, just what is Andrew Cook's view as expressed in his book???

As far as I know the book is still at manuscript stage, so do you have some unique access to his material that no one else has? Or do you make your own erroneous deductions from some advertising blurb you have seen?

I suggest that you keep your criticism to yourself until you have grounds for making such remarks.
                      SPE

Comment

Hi Stewart

Are you saying that Andrew Cook isn't claiming that 'jack the Ripper' is a press invention, and that channel 5 haven't made a TV program on the subject?

Pirate

Comment

Book

Hi Stewart
                          Are you saying that Andrew Cook isn't claiming that 'jack the Ripper' is a press invention, and that channel 5 haven't made a TV program on the subject?
                          Pirate
                          Did I say that? I have not read Andrew Cook's book, so I do not know what he is 'claiming.'
                          SPE

Comment

And you no nothing about the TV documentary?

Comment

Search

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                              I suggest that we stop labelling threads with titles like "New Ripper Book". After all, at some point, all Ripper books were new. Titles like that make it difficult to locate the discussion of a particular book.
                              This thread, judging by the bulk of the content, will hardly be worth locating at a future date. Once archived it would be easily found with a word search on 'Andrew Cook'. I do not know if the final title has yet been agreed.
                              SPE

Comment

Know

And you no nothing about the TV documentary?
                                What I may know, or not know, of the TV documentary is my business and not yours.
                                SPE

Comment

Working...
                                X