X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Philip

I totally agree with you.

It was a great presentation.

I liked the fact that Trevor, as always, takes critism, and other thoughts on board and doesn't seem to be offended by them.

Many thanks to all of you who turned up to celebrate my birthday - which is still on-going!

Coral

Comment

Hi Coral -

Thanks to you and the committee for organising the presentation. Suspect-theory is not really my thing ... but I found Trevor's position interesting nonetheless.

I hope you had a good birthday.

Mark

Comment

Thanks for these reviews, Phil and Coral. It does sound like the new book is going to be pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Happy birthday, Coral.
        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
          However, I do think it wrong to dismiss everything he says out of hand because of the insecurity of some of his theories.
          I've not seen anyone do that -- well, other than AP Wolf, and he basically dismisses everyone who has written about the case except for himself.

Dan Norder
          Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
          Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Ah, Coral - Happy Birthday + 1. I completely forgot and no one reminded me! I would have said at the time if I'd known!

Dan - you may well be right. It might be that I've heard such strong (and probably correct) objections to some of Trevor's ideas that I presumed some people thought his ideas as a whole not worthy of consideration. I think a lot of what Trevor says isn't to be taken on board as the-way-it-really-is, but as an alternative possibility.

By the way, Dan, still awaiting a reply to the last e-mail I sent you about a week ago!

PHILIP
            Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Philip,

Im sure Trevor is a top notch guy, and my limited contact with him on the boards support the idea of a poliete man who takes critcism positively.

However, his interpretation of evidence and, what I percieve as, lack of witness knowledge concerns me. Thats bread n butter stuff and that reflects. He is no SPE, then again who is?

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

It was a good presentation, I thought, whether you agree with the theory or not. Like all suspect theories, it certainly wasn't watertight by anybody's standards.

What I found interesting (although somewhat unexpected) was the autopsy stuff, as it showed how incredibly concealed a kidney is. If you think that Eddowes killer had about 5 minutes to find it and get it out, as well as doing all the other things, in very dark conditions... well, it's just amazing.

That said, the young lady taking photographs of Trevor in action was not impressed by the imagery. Every time she came back into the room to take more naps you could see her cheeks puffing out like she was about to hurl.
                Poor love!!

JB

Comment

Hi All,
                  I would just like to thank everyone who came to the Whitechapel Society/Docklands presentation yesterday. Those who were unable to make it missed a fantastic presentation/book launch by Trevor Marriott. A full review of Trevor's talk will appear in the next Whitechapel Journal which you can obtain by Joining our Society - www.whitechapelsociety.com for details.

Frogg

THE WHITECHAPEL SOCIETY. "LONDON'S PREMIER SOCIETY FOR THE STUDY OF JACK THE RIPPER & VICTORIAN/EDWARDIAN SOCIAL HISTORY"

Comment

Just picked up a copy of "21st Century Investigation" from the local bargain book store. It is the hardback, first edition, with dustjacket, RRP £17.99, book stores price, £2.99!!

It can sit amongst my other editions!
                    Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                      Thanks for clarifying that Alan,

The Emma Jackson murder is an interesting case in itself though, and has a bit in common with the Whitechapel murders story wise if nothing else. A polish man suspected and arrested, a drowned man found floating in St Katherine's dock suspected, numerous confessions from wandering drunks and lunatics, eye photography (which was considered by experts would be ineffective even in 1863!), partition walls, locked doors, thimbles, body repositioned on the bed after the throat was cut....motiveless.
                      Just back threading as i have an exciting night of redigitizing anbd handbreaking ahead of me...

However I always find it curious why everyone assumes early ripper attacks would have necessarily been Knife related?

Yes its possible, but as has been mentioned Milwood's attack was more like those committed by Cutbush...and Tabram-Chapman show signs of strangulation?

Is it not also possible that early Ripper attacks may have involved Strangulation or stabs to the body?

Pirate

Comment

Working...
                      X