FBI file on Jack the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI file on Jack the Ripper

Yes, believe it or not, the FBI has a file on Jack the Ripper.
    It is the ravings of SSA John E Douglas on JtR as financially commissioned by 'Cosgrove-Meurer Productions'.
    What is obvious is that FBI are themselves very uncomfortable with this commercial use of one of their agents, and point out in no uncertain terms:
    'He (SSA Douglas) filled in the missing pieces of information by making certain probable assumptions.'

What absolutely amazes me is that the Douglas report in the FBI files bears no resemblance whatsoever to anything I have ever read about the Douglas report.
    Well I got the original now, so anyone who wants to tell me what Douglas really said I'm ready to give 'em a broken and bloody nose.

Wow talk about your cold case files…

I heard that the FBI had a file on Jacky boy, didn’t it also have like a criminal profile attached and wasn’t it more of just done as a test - Like just to see what modern FBI agents would look for if investigating the Whitecapel murders from 1888 and what type of personality would “Jack the Ripper: Most infamous killer in human history” would really have.

Also how old are the notes in that FBI file? If from the 1980’s (or before) then maybe it’s not so valuable to us since the “science” of criminal profiling and criminal investigations has changed a good deal in the past 20 years. Examples are that even the way we (non-detectives) are researching Jacky boy today on casebook is more insightful just how most people did it 20 years ago or so, we have since cut away lots of false facts and have computer access to almost tons of old police/news paper reports and today we have a better understanding of the world of London 1880’s as well as to boot.

Soooo what cha gotz!!!
    Sometimes all you learn in defeat is that you have been defeated - Anonymous

Comment

On the TV show, which I have on tape, Douglas says it was Kosminski or (I think he or Hazelwood adds) someone just like him.

The FBI wasn't formed under that name until about 40 years after JtR. There was a precursor agency that was founded about 1908 so even by that they were 20 years late.

That said, the genesis of both the FBI and the Secret Service was Pinkerton's Detective Agency so it is possible they could have transferred some of their old JtR files to the FBI if there were any. There has been some speculation regarding PDA's involvement in the case although, if so, it was probably very limited. Abberline did go to work for them after he left the Met so who knows!?
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

J. Edgar had a 'Do Not File' file. Just like them Brits.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          On the TV show, which I have on tape, Douglas says it was Kosminski or (I think he or Hazelwood adds) someone just like him.

The FBI wasn't formed under that name until about 40 years after JtR. There was a precursor agency that was founded about 1908 so even by that they were 20 years late.

That said, the genesis of both the FBI and the Secret Service was Pinkerton's Detective Agency so it is possible they could have transferred some of their old JtR files to the FBI if there were any. There has been some speculation regarding PDA's involvement in the case although, if so, it was probably very limited. Abberline did go to work for them after he left the Met so who knows!?
          Is that the one with Peter Ustinov? I have that one. It is a bit daft, made for US TV clearly but the imput of some of the people was interesting.
          In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Hi Kat,

Yes, that's the one.
            This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
              Yes, believe it or not, the FBI has a file on Jack the Ripper.
              Here's the URL:

Bulldog

Comment

Wow that file is pretty old (done on a Typewriter for crying a loud).

I wonder if we can get a file on Eddie Gein just for comparison?
                Sometimes all you learn in defeat is that you have been defeated - Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                X