6d. Did Liz spend it, or die for it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Hello Damaso. Not sure those are ideas we come up with. Both have a venerable history.

If robbery was a motive in any of the canonical killings, we can add a characteristic to the killer's profile--not the brightest button on the coat.

Cheers.
    LC
    Surely I was suggesting opportunistic robbery of a corpse that had been killed for some other purpose.

Anyway, the "killer took the money" hypothesis is in fact stronger if you reject Stride as a ripper killing and have no need to assume that the killer was disturbed.

Comment

robbery

Hello Damaso. Thanks.

"Surely I was suggesting opportunistic robbery of a corpse that had been killed for some other purpose."

OK. I like that better. Of course, it would slow down escape.

"Anyway, the "killer took the money" hypothesis is in fact stronger if you reject Stride as a ripper killing and have no need to assume that the killer was disturbed."

Perhaps, but it assumes she had money at the time. If she spent it on the flower and cachous . . .

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
        Hi, Lynn,
        No bloke would spend money on a 4d hooker.
        Hi, ok, here's a question, why do you think these women charged 4d?
        I've looked for some info on this, as yet to no avail.

Also, these women would expect a stranger to buy them a drink. Stride was in the Bricklayers Arms with a man about 11:00 pm on the night of her murder.
        Maybe she spent her money (6d) there, they had apparently been served so somebody paid for the drinks.

You might remember the episode in Bethnal Green Rd when two women were accosted by a strange man. This man was asked by one of the women to buy them drinks, he refused.
        Seeing as he was a stranger to them, we might wonder what the intention was behind this request, likely a proposition? - I suspect so.

Regards, Jon S.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          I've looked for some info on this, as yet to no avail.

Also, these women would expect a stranger to buy them a drink. Stride was in the Bricklayers Arms with a man about 11:00 pm on the night of her murder.
          Maybe she spent her money (6d) there, they had apparently been served so somebody paid for the drinks.

You might remember the episode in Bethnal Green Rd when two women were accosted by a strange man. This man was asked by one of the women to buy them drinks, he refused.
          Seeing as he was a stranger to them, we might wonder what the intention was behind this request, likely a proposition? - I suspect so.

Regards, Jon S.
          Hi, Jon,
          I think the majority of the punters paid 4d for services rendered but didn't likely "court" the women before the transaction.

Lynn and I were specifically discussing the flower and mints Liz had on her person when found -- without money.

I'm not sure what was going on with Stride that evening, but I personally doubt she was soliciting. She may have been enjoying the company of a friend and both were supplying the lubrication. And perhaps there may have been some expectation the evening would end in sex. But do people think it always did when two friends of the opposite sex enjoy a social time together? I realize things vary widely from one place and era to another.

I expect that sometimes, perhaps often, strangers became customers after the women sized the men up over a drink or two -- but, to me at least, a drink or two has a totally different "feel" to it than the flowers Stride was wearing that evening, or even Polly's jolly new bonnet.

Velma
          Last edited by curious; 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM.

Comment

The sixpence

Do we actually know that Liz was paid the sixpence for cleaning and if she was, might she not have left the sixpence together with the cloth with her friend for safekeeping? Cutting her throat for sixpence seems a lttle "overkill", being threatened with a knife would have been enough.
            Best wishes,
            C4

Comment

Hi all, the one thing we can be sure of here is all the information we have on the victims is subjective. Was Stride meeting someone? Was her killer a casual night trawler-drunk and carrying a knife who she upset? A Bill Sykes type pimp, who she owed money to? Or a devious serial killer who came upon her and was disturbed after cutting her throat? Did the whores all charge the same amount, or did they do as some do today, and size up the punter first?
              The big question is; what the hell did she do between being observed by the last witness, and being murdered? It was a very short time, and that must reduce the list of motivation. So was it a robbery after all? Good Q Sluggo, but the answers can only be guesses.

Comment

no M B A

Hello Jon.

"Stride was in the Bricklayers Arms with a man about 11:00 pm on the night of her murder."

Given the truth of Gardner and Betts's story.

"Maybe she spent her money (6d) there, they had apparently been served so somebody paid for the drinks."

Solicit someone and pay 6d for his drink and then make 4d for "services rendered"? Very well.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Tanner

Hello C4.

"Do we actually know that Liz was paid the sixpence for cleaning?"

Elizabeth Tanner: "On Saturday she cleaned the rooms for me, and I gave her 6d." (Evans and Skinner, p. 151.)

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Hi Lynn.
                    Originally posted by lynn cates View Post

Solicit someone and pay 6d for his drink and then make 4d for "services rendered"? Very well.
                    Maybe he was a friend.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Some make a fortune; others make a mint, but . . .

Hello Jon. Thanks.

Perhaps. But a few such transactions and you could be broke.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Hello L C,

Yes, I know she said she paid her, but can we be sure she did? In any case we don't know she had sixpence with her.

Ever the sceptic,
                        C4
                        Last edited by curious4; 01-21-2013, 04:44 PM.

Comment

testimony

Hello C4. Thanks.

Good point. Nothing but testimony.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Hello C4

Stride showed Catherine Lane the money just before she went out.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Regards, Jon S.
                              Sorry, Jon,
                              I completely misread this part of your question.

I was repeating the 4d from Lynn. I have no idea what the going rate was other than what I read here.

curious

Comment

Hello Jon,

Aha - crushed!

Best wishes,
                                C4

Comment

Working...
                                X