The Murder of Elizabeth Stride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Murder of Elizabeth Stride

'There is not a shred of evidence to support the belief that Elizabeth Stride was murdered by the Ripper...The murder of Stride was a coincidence and, merely because her body was found in a yard, both Press and public jumped to the conclusion that both this murder and that of Eddows...was the work of the Ripper.' (William Stewart, 1939).
    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Hi Stewart

Great find - thanks for posting it - and while I certainly appreciate it, get ready for it to be jumped all over by - well, by quite a few people.

Tj
    It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Nah, I've always had my doubts about Stride being a ripper victim.

Comment

thanks

Hello Mr. Evans. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting this. (I think I may love you--heh-heh.)

Although it is obvious that this is that gentleman's opinion and hence not authoritative, yet it neatly sums up my thoughts about the "Double Event."

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Mr. Stewart also thought the murderer of the other women was a woman and that Mary Kelly was pregnant.

Of course, the murderer of any of these women is unknown and it is all theorizing - either way - but, Stride and Eddowes being of the same class, killed on the same night in the same proximity by the same method with no discernable motive established does amount to at least a shread of evidence that the same person might have perpetrated both.

There is evidence, just no conclusive evidence, so the possibility of 2 separate killings remains also.
          Best Wishes,
          Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Not Exactly

This is not exactly new, it is in Stewart's 1939 book. It has been discussed in the past but I merely thought it interesting to raise the point again that the idea that Stride may not have been a Ripper victim is hardly new, and this was the second major English language book on the case. Based as it was on newspaper reports (and being pre-official document release) the book does contain many errors.
            SPE

Comment

Hi Stewart! Very glad to see you posting again!
              That was a nice surprise to start my day.

I'll reply further on the Stride issue when I have a bit more time.

Best regards,
              Archaic

Comment

Am I imagining things, or did Leonard Matters, in 1929, suggest that Stride wasn't a victim? (I don't have the book with me, so I can't check.)

Comment

Hi G.M.

No, Matters included Stride among the Ripper's victims.

Wolf.

Comment

[QUOTE=Hunter;170791]Mr. Stewart also thought the murderer of the other women was a woman and that Mary Kelly was pregnant.

Of course, the murderer of any of these women is unknown and it is all theorizing - either way - but, Stride and Eddowes being of the same class, killed on the same night in the same proximity by the same method with no discernable motive established does amount to at least a shread of evidence that the same person might have perpetrated both.

[QUOTE]

Yes, Hunter, but surely one murderer or two striking on the same night, in the same location, are equally unlikely?

Comment

Matters

From The Mystery of Jack the Ripper by Leonard Matters, 1929 -

Click image for larger version

Name:	matters.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	662005
                      SPE

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                        Mr. Stewart also thought the murderer of the other women was a woman and that Mary Kelly was pregnant.
                        Thank you, Hunter, for setting things straight. As always, you're the voice of reason and not misinformed.
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

Wolf & Stewart,

Ta very much. Obviously I did imagine it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
                            Yes, Hunter, but surely one murderer or two striking on the same night, in the same location, are equally unlikely?
                            I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand the question, but I assume that you mean whichever was the case, it would still be extraordinary... and yes, it certainly would. We would do well to remember that the whole series of murders were exceptional.

The torso murders might be considered as such, too, except there was a long history of these murders going back to the early part of the century when a man named Greenacre was convicted of killing and dismembering a woman.

Stewart,

Thanks for the information about the two books. You're a virtual library... unsurpassed. I believe there was a third in the early twentieth century, also, but can't recollect who wrote it. I am glad to see you back to provide information and help keep things objective and in perspective.

An even earlier example lies within two of the key figures in the investigation, Dr. Phillips and his assistant Percy Clark. They entertained doubts about even five of the murders being committed by one had and, although its not completely clear as to which ones that they considered weren't, it would be a safe bet that they were doubtful about Stride. I don't think their views can be easily dismissed.

Some of the contemporary papers mentioned that there were those in the City Police force who thought that two men perpetrated the double murders, though they may have been connected in some way.
                            Best Wishes,
                            Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                              I believe there was a third in the early twentieth century, also,...
                              Perhaps you are thinking about, When London Walked in Terror, Edwin T. Woodhall, 1937.
                              Woodhall also included Stride as a Ripper victim, but he thought the series began with Martha Turner.

Likewise Robin Odell, Jack the Ripper in Fact and Fiction, 1965, also included Stride.

I also have a copy of Tom Cullen's, The Crimes and Times of Jack the Ripper, 1965. However, there is a Copywrite for this book dated 1945? - maybe Stewart might know if Cullen wrote this originally so early. All the later books which reference Cullen in their bibliography give the 1965 date.

William Stewart, Jack the Ripper, a New Theory, 1939 (quoted by Stewart in post 1) is the only one of the early Ripper theory books I didn't buy. Even back then I thought it was ridiculous. Later in the 1970's someone called, Butler of the Yard, revamped the female Jack the Ripper theory.
                              I think William Stewarts book is the most expensive on the market today, but not for its mark of excellence thats for sure.

Regards, Jon S.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                              X