Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 1 hour and 6 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 2 hours ago.
General Discussion: Mary Kelly Jack the Ripper celebrity ghost box session interview - by Simon Wood 2 hours ago.
General Discussion: The Weapon - by Batman 3 hours ago.
General Discussion: The Weapon - by Busy Beaver 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
General Discussion: The Weapon - (4 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (4 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (3 posts)
General Discussion: Mary Kelly Jack the Ripper celebrity ghost box session interview - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > "Jill the Ripper"

Old 05-31-2010, 04:55 AM
Cadet

There is no evidence whatsoever to indicate that the killer was a woman; in fact the majority of the evidence clearly identifies the Whitechapel murderer as being male. The various theories of a 'Jill the Ripper' can be easily debunked.

1. Most of the victims were strangled, likely from behind. The nature of the bruising found on the throats of some of the victims, notably Annie Chapman, indicate that great force was used. A woman would not have had the strength needed to throttle the victims to the extent of bruising found on the throat.

2. The witnesses themselves. Many witnesses came forward during the inquests of each of the murder victims, describing a man in the company of the victims, most notably Mr. Long and George Hutchinson. Mrs. Long suspect if on particular interest, as he was seen with Annie Chapman only minutes before her death and thus was most certainly her killer.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:16 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealTyche View Post
There is no evidence whatsoever to indicate that the killer was a woman; in fact the majority of the evidence clearly identifies the Whitechapel murderer as being male. The various theories of a 'Jill the Ripper' can be easily debunked.

1. Most of the victims were strangled, likely from behind. The nature of the bruising found on the throats of some of the victims, notably Annie Chapman, indicate that great force was used. A woman would not have had the strength needed to throttle the victims to the extent of bruising found on the throat.

Many of those Women worked just as hard if not harder than alot of Men at that time. I have no doubt there were Women strong enough.

2. The witnesses themselves. Many witnesses came forward during the inquests of each of the murder victims, describing a man in the company of the victims, most notably Mr. Long and George Hutchinson. Mrs. Long suspect if on particular interest, as he was seen with Annie Chapman only minutes before her death and thus was most certainly her killer.
Of course the "Witnesses" were predisposed that the killer was a Man. MacNaghten believed no one saw JTR and no one can be sure anyone did!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:08 AM
Inactive

Here is a new Jill the Ripper book.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...73.html?ref=uk

I think that's great, and good luck to the author.

I am trying to be throwback; in reviving the Drowned Not-a-Doctor suspect.

What I think is a mistake is the notion of the article about the book, considered a definitely ascertained fact by mansream media, that the police were left with an insoluable mystery.

Not according to significant police figures: Abberline, Anderson, Macnaghten, arguably Swanson, and Littelchild, all to varying degrees, asserted that it was not much of a mystery at all.

I argue that the bombastic William Le Queux created this entrenched notion of a forever clueless constabulary, in 1923, because he had identified the reall killer, a Czarist agent -- and he had the dictated document by Rasputin, no less, to prove it!
Old 05-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Superintendent

You know it is possible... I can think of any number of motives for a woman to commit these crimes. And to commit them in this manner. As far as a woman being incapable, that's crap. I could do it easily. The irony is that the "womanly" tasks of the era such as sewing, knitting, weaving, cooking and cleaning build up enormous hand and wrist strength. A woman would not cause alarm to a population fearing a male killer, and I rather doubt witnesses would have even taken note of the victims talking to another woman.

I can't say that I think that's what happened, but I could easily make the argument that it did.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:45 AM
Detective

I'm only offering this for the sake of completeness, but E. J. Wagner in The Science of Sherlock Holmes, offers as a suspect Constance Kent, who had served 20 years for the murder of her younger brother when she was sixteen.
I'm not sure how serious Wagner is being, the main point in the Constance Kent discussion is how authorities may bungle evidence, and the Ripper idea is briefly brought up to point out some similarities.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:01 AM
Superintendent

I believe the current view is that Constance Kent "took the wrap" for her brother (see Kate Summerscale's excellent book: "The Suspicions of Mr Whicher").

So Constance may have killed no one.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Detective

There is no evidence Emma Smith was pregnant, still the website Real Choice has some alarming examples of women inserting objects to induce abortion.
There seems to be a dearth of corroborative evidence in her case, so maybe it was a botched abortion rather than an assault.
After seeing an ad for a nostrum claiming to cure among other things,Brights disease on JTR forums I have wondered where Annie Chapman got those pills from.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Commisioner

Default assault

Hello Martin.

"There seems to be a dearth of corroborative evidence in her case, so maybe it was a botched abortion rather than an assault."

Of course, she was otherwise "banged up." Perhaps a good indicator of assault?

Cheers.
LC
Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Suspended

Default 0ff-thread

Emma Smith pregnant ?
(45 in 1888, alcoholic)
Abortion ?
That's for the thread "How to make ripperology better", imho.

Cheers
Old 06-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. F. Leon View Post
I'm only offering this for the sake of completeness, but E. J. Wagner in The Science of Sherlock Holmes, offers as a suspect Constance Kent, who had served 20 years for the murder of her younger brother when she was sixteen.
I'm not sure how serious Wagner is being, the main point in the Constance Kent discussion is how authorities may bungle evidence, and the Ripper idea is briefly brought up to point out some similarities.
Constance Kent was released from prison in 1885 after 20 years. She then emigrated to Australia to live there (with her brother) until her death (at age 100) in the 1940s.

She was not in England in 1888.

Jeff